Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 03:42:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What can I use for coolant reservoir tank?  (Read 1650 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2010, 05:32:37 AM »

I am starting to install my heating system with a Proheat.  What can I use for a coolant reservoir tank so the system has enough coolant in it to keep from short cycling?  Jack has a nice reservoir tank in his bus, but he doesn't know where it was purchased from, or who makes it.

Also, how do I plumb in the expansion tank?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »

Brian:

I used a 5 gallon portable air tank for mine. It also has several nipples welded to the tank with ball valves attached, for future 'loops' through the engine, water heater, etc.

For us, it works great.

Mark

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:20:37 AM »

when I bought a wabasco 30 for our boat years ago we also got a header tank. round cylinder 5-6 " X 1' had rad cap w/overflow on top and 2 threaded fittings bottom and on the side, all copper. got it from a marine dealer.

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:46:53 AM »

Why not use a hydronic system bladder tank? Cheap and effective.
CS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 09:13:26 AM »

Beer Keg
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:43:37 AM »

I don't really know about hydronic systems so this is really off the cuff.

How about a small electric water heater?  That way, whenever you have "free" campground power, you can use it to supplement your system.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 10:08:52 AM »

Why not use a hydronic system bladder tank? Cheap and effective.

Is this the same as a well bladder tank, or slightly different to handle the heat?  This would would handle expansion, but not sure if it does anything for adding extra coolant to the system to avoid short cycling.  It seems like a reservoir tank would need an in and out to help with short cycling.

Len, I have thought about a electric water heater, but I don't really have that much room in a protected area.  Another type of tank could be placed just about anywhere.  I like the beer keg idea if I had access to a small one.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »

I got my expansion tank from these guys. Here is a link to their heating system catalog also if you visit their site they have a good write-up on pumping hot water systems.

http://www.suremarine.com/manuals/webasto-sales-literature/general-heating-catalog.pdf
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 11:51:59 AM »

As mentioned use a small HWH expansion tank.

If you are wanting a small reservoir with a radiator cap.   Look at a 2001 Ford SVT lightning.   It has a nice overflow tank with cap.

steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 12:07:49 PM »

the tank I use is page # 35 at the bottom on lee link can't remember the prices..VERY NICE and rugged stuff

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 12:25:01 PM »

the tank I use is page # 35 at the bottom on lee link can't remember the prices..VERY NICE and rugged stuff

Anyone seen anything like these elsewhere at lower cost maybe?  They have both buffer tanks and expansion tanks.  I just called Sure Marine and they said the difference is the radiator cap.  Other than that the expansion tank will act as a buffer tank too.  The salesperson said they custom make these, but it doesn't mean someone doesn't also make them too.

Sure Marine also has a cool looking zone control for the Proheat I might buy if it doesn't break the bank.  I haven't found the price on that yet.

DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »

Wrico generator makes a nice small tank with cap.  bought one last year to help burp the air from gen set. purpose built for the job, has bracket mount. Not as cool as beer keg! you could wrap a keg can henieken around it tho.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »

Wrico generator makes a nice small tank with cap.  bought one last year to help burp the air from gen set. purpose built for the job, has bracket mount. Not as cool as beer keg! you could wrap a keg can henieken around it tho.

Same for me.  Call Dick Wright.  He is a great contributor to the busnut community.  He has what you need.
http://www.wricointernational.com/        541-744-4333  in Oregon.

David
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 03:50:59 PM »

How about an old freon tank?  You could weld in some pipe nipples for fittings.

I have an old bladder type pressure tank which no longer has the bladder in it. With some fabrication, it would make a nice small reservoir tank. I might have time to help you convert it one day when
we get back home in a couple weeks, if interested.  You'd need to bring a small piece of thin plate steel and a couple nipples. I could weld them in for you.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 06:29:25 AM »

I use an expansion tank for my fresh water and for my webasto system. I paid less than $25 for each of them on ebay. Hard to build, convert or modify something for that little $.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: