Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 03:16:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Consumption of Gensets  (Read 1454 times)
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2006, 05:26:59 PM »

I have a four cylinder kubota diesel genset that is set up to run 220 to my service panel.

I use it when I am working on the coach in the storage area and have no other access to elelctricity.

On hot days I run both acs and a mix of power tools and compressors fans etc.

When I refuel some times I have driven only a few miles so the fuel is all for the genset.

It seems to consume about a half a gallon an hour that registers on the meter.

I am wondering if this is normal and if the more load or less load makes a BIG difference in how much fuel is consumed or if I can run whatever I want and it won't make a difference.

I have done some basic math and I don't think I have enough equipment that I could run at the same time so I could overload the system.

Just wondering what other peoples experience has been.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Ace

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 06:16:13 PM »

I'm thinking it would depend on the KW ratingas to how much load it can carry and then how much fuel you would use. For example, I have a Kubota diesel also and it's a 12.5 kw. I average about 1 gallon per hour running it as I'm travelling. I only use it for the 3 a/c's, house type fridge, and house lights. Now that I think about it, I think it's only a 3 cyl. if that makes any difference! To add, I have a seperate fuel tank just for this unit!

Ace
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 07:43:55 PM »

I have a kubota powered 7.5KW Powertech and it burns about .6/hour loaded.
JerryH

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 07:45:11 PM »

Melbo,

We also have a 12.5 kW genset like Ace.  We burn 1-gallon per hour as well.

Jerry H.
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 04:11:29 AM »

Melbo,
I have a 4 cylinder Kuboto 10KW diesel genset in a sound proof compartment just behing the drivers wheel. It is a 50 amp 220 set-up as well. EVERTHING on our bus escept the water pump works off the gen set, or a land line. We live in SW Florida and in this heat we usually run 2 A/C/s in the ay time. The gen set consumes  right at 1/2 gallon per hour at 1800 rpms. We alwaysuse the gen set when we are going down the road, as well.

Your fuel consumption seems just about right.

Dave Siegel

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 10:35:17 AM »

Dittos to Dave's reply.  We have a 10KW Kubota diesel.  Ours is right at 1/2 gal/hr.

Hope this helps, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
bobadame

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 11:31:26 AM »

When I was looking at generators, the specs for most seemed to be around 1/10 gallon per killowatt hour.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 02:40:45 PM »

When I was looking at generators, the specs for most seemed to be around 1/10 gallon per killowatt hour.

That sounds about right as we usually run about 1/2 load.  e.g., 5 KWatts, so 5 * 1/10 gallon = 5/10 gal/hr. 

I like that formula.  thanks bobadame!

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 06:52:57 PM »

bobadame

that 1/10 of a gal per kw per hour -- how does that work with a generator that is running empty that is with no load??

It seem to me that there has to be a base line consumption of fuel just to idle along including up to a certain load and beyond that it would then begin to take more fuel.

Of course an overloaded system would start to trip breakers and other less desirable stuff could happen but I'm talking about the normal operating range.

Just my experience has been that it doesn't seem to matter what I turn on the fuel consumption is .5 gal an hour.

I was trying to find out if that was normal but it seem to be a normal to low rate of fuel consumption from the posts here.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 08:06:01 PM »

I did a test with a measured jug with 2 gal fuel. 3 A/C and water heater TV, fridge, ect 1/3 gal first half hr. Water heater cycled off and A/Cs clycled next half hr 1/2 . Manual states .6 per hr half load. 1/2 gal is my nomal avg. My gen is Onan quiet diesel 10KW with Isuzu 3 cyl. One air at night would be less load. I figure on 10gal  24 hr period. Sometimes my gen runs 2-3 days at a time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: