Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 11:36:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: traveling from Sioux Falls,SD to Marysvale,Utah  (Read 4247 times)
redbus

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2010, 10:18:58 AM »

We are going from Sioux Falls, SD to Marysvale, Utah and mapping systems are saying go I 70 thru Vail,CO. We can go I 80 to Salt Lake City, Utah and then south to Marysvale but it is about 100 miles further. I am worried about the climb thru Vail,I am towing a 4 wheel drive truck with 2 quads on it. Does anyone know if I 80 would be a better route with less mountains? Thanks, Terry

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 10:33:03 AM »

I 80 across Wyoming has some ups and downs but not as steep or as curvy as I 70. I 70 has some pretty bleak area's into Utah with no services for a long ways also. I 80 is a major trucking route so you'll find a lot more services and such along the way. I actually think it may be a wash as far as time goes even if it is shorter going I 70. Just my 2 cents.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 10:52:20 AM »

Thanks Scott
Looks like I80 is the way to go.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 11:51:54 AM »

Ditto what Scott said , I have drivin both and I would do I 80, Good fuel stops in Rawlins and Evenston wyo and I would buy my  fuel in wyo anyway have a safe trip

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »

If going by I-80 Wamsutter was the cheapest fuel we saw when we went through a few weeks ago. We fueled in Green River and paid 20 cents more.

Happy Traveling
John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 01:02:46 PM »

We are going from Sioux Falls, SD to Marysvale, Utah and mapping systems are saying go I 70 thru Vail,CO

I've run I-80 more times than I can count, and I-70 enough times to know that it's worth the extra 100 miles to go I-80.  It will probably take you less time, because there are some pulls that run miles and miles, while on I-80 you only have a couple of pulls and they aren't bad ones.

For fuel, check the truck stop websites.

Are you going straight there and straight back?
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 05:02:28 PM »

Thanks Guys! We will watch the web sites for fuel in Evenstin, Rawlins and Wamsutter.Your info really helps. We are going to Marysvale for a big ATV rally on the Paiute Trail and may well be there for up to a month. We will be riding the trail and exploring the area on 4 wheelers.

Terry
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 05:20:47 PM »

I'd also avoid what looks like a short cut coming into SLCity that takes you to Heber City and Provo. Just stay on 80 until you hit the 215 that bypasses SLC and takes you to I 15 south. Basically follow the trucks!!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 05:40:54 PM »

I love the drive through Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, and then whichever direction we go after that. That is some beautiful country.

I agree, though, 80 is an easier drive, and about the same amount of time.

Enjoy the rally. Sounds like that will be fun. If it is soon, make sure you bring plenty of drinking water. That is pretty close to some desert out there Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »

I am trying to send a couple of pictures of us in the U.P. of Michigan. Hope this works.

Terry
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 08:31:36 PM »

As you come down I-80 into SLC out of the canyon wave out the window, I'm right off the freeway.  Grin

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 08:38:04 PM »

Will do. Should be there in about 3 Days.

Terry
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 06:29:22 AM »

The least expensive diesel is usually in Cheyenne, Wyoming.  You get off onto I25 and go north to the first exit to Flying J or Love's.  Evanston is usually a ripoff as Utah prices are higher.  They charge a little less than Utah to bring folks across the border for fuel.  They know they can get away with charging more than other places in Wyoming.

When I travel from Minneapolis, MN to Reno, NV I usually fill up at Cheyenne and again at Fernley, NV.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 07:42:33 AM »

The least expensive diesel is usually in Cheyenne, Wyoming.  You get off onto I25 and go north to the first exit to Flying J or Love's.  Evanston is usually a ripoff as Utah prices are higher.  They charge a little less than Utah to bring folks across the border for fuel.  They know they can get away with charging more than other places in Wyoming.

When I travel from Minneapolis, MN to Reno, NV I usually fill up at Cheyenne and again at Fernley, NV.

Brian,
Unless they moved it Flying J was just SOUTH of I-80 on I-25 when I was trucking!
But sometimes Rawling or Wamsutter were also cheaper! Also used to be a little hole in the wall W. of Laramie that usually had good prices!
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 08:16:32 AM »

Yes the flying j is south of I 80 on I 25. Don't overlook the Valero across the street form Loves. It is usually 3 or 4 cents cheaper and easier in and out.

Have a safe trip
Wayne
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: