Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 12:36:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: traveling from Sioux Falls,SD to Marysvale,Utah  (Read 4248 times)
redbus

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2010, 10:18:58 AM »

We are going from Sioux Falls, SD to Marysvale, Utah and mapping systems are saying go I 70 thru Vail,CO. We can go I 80 to Salt Lake City, Utah and then south to Marysvale but it is about 100 miles further. I am worried about the climb thru Vail,I am towing a 4 wheel drive truck with 2 quads on it. Does anyone know if I 80 would be a better route with less mountains? Thanks, Terry

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 10:33:03 AM »

I 80 across Wyoming has some ups and downs but not as steep or as curvy as I 70. I 70 has some pretty bleak area's into Utah with no services for a long ways also. I 80 is a major trucking route so you'll find a lot more services and such along the way. I actually think it may be a wash as far as time goes even if it is shorter going I 70. Just my 2 cents.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 10:52:20 AM »

Thanks Scott
Looks like I80 is the way to go.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 11:51:54 AM »

Ditto what Scott said , I have drivin both and I would do I 80, Good fuel stops in Rawlins and Evenston wyo and I would buy my  fuel in wyo anyway have a safe trip

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »

If going by I-80 Wamsutter was the cheapest fuel we saw when we went through a few weeks ago. We fueled in Green River and paid 20 cents more.

Happy Traveling
John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 01:02:46 PM »

We are going from Sioux Falls, SD to Marysvale, Utah and mapping systems are saying go I 70 thru Vail,CO

I've run I-80 more times than I can count, and I-70 enough times to know that it's worth the extra 100 miles to go I-80.  It will probably take you less time, because there are some pulls that run miles and miles, while on I-80 you only have a couple of pulls and they aren't bad ones.

For fuel, check the truck stop websites.

Are you going straight there and straight back?
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 05:02:28 PM »

Thanks Guys! We will watch the web sites for fuel in Evenstin, Rawlins and Wamsutter.Your info really helps. We are going to Marysvale for a big ATV rally on the Paiute Trail and may well be there for up to a month. We will be riding the trail and exploring the area on 4 wheelers.

Terry
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 05:20:47 PM »

I'd also avoid what looks like a short cut coming into SLCity that takes you to Heber City and Provo. Just stay on 80 until you hit the 215 that bypasses SLC and takes you to I 15 south. Basically follow the trucks!!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 05:40:54 PM »

I love the drive through Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, and then whichever direction we go after that. That is some beautiful country.

I agree, though, 80 is an easier drive, and about the same amount of time.

Enjoy the rally. Sounds like that will be fun. If it is soon, make sure you bring plenty of drinking water. That is pretty close to some desert out there Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »

I am trying to send a couple of pictures of us in the U.P. of Michigan. Hope this works.

Terry
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 08:31:36 PM »

As you come down I-80 into SLC out of the canyon wave out the window, I'm right off the freeway.  Grin

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 08:38:04 PM »

Will do. Should be there in about 3 Days.

Terry
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 06:29:22 AM »

The least expensive diesel is usually in Cheyenne, Wyoming.  You get off onto I25 and go north to the first exit to Flying J or Love's.  Evanston is usually a ripoff as Utah prices are higher.  They charge a little less than Utah to bring folks across the border for fuel.  They know they can get away with charging more than other places in Wyoming.

When I travel from Minneapolis, MN to Reno, NV I usually fill up at Cheyenne and again at Fernley, NV.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 07:42:33 AM »

The least expensive diesel is usually in Cheyenne, Wyoming.  You get off onto I25 and go north to the first exit to Flying J or Love's.  Evanston is usually a ripoff as Utah prices are higher.  They charge a little less than Utah to bring folks across the border for fuel.  They know they can get away with charging more than other places in Wyoming.

When I travel from Minneapolis, MN to Reno, NV I usually fill up at Cheyenne and again at Fernley, NV.

Brian,
Unless they moved it Flying J was just SOUTH of I-80 on I-25 when I was trucking!
But sometimes Rawling or Wamsutter were also cheaper! Also used to be a little hole in the wall W. of Laramie that usually had good prices!
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 08:16:32 AM »

Yes the flying j is south of I 80 on I 25. Don't overlook the Valero across the street form Loves. It is usually 3 or 4 cents cheaper and easier in and out.

Have a safe trip
Wayne
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 09:35:27 AM »

The least expensive diesel is usually in Cheyenne, Wyoming.  You get off onto I25 and go north to the first exit to Flying J or Love's. 

Do you know
Where you're going to?
Your magnetic compass must have blown a fuse . . .
Where are you going to . . ?
Do you know . . . ?

(The FJ and Love's are the first exit SOUTH of I-80)
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 09:38:53 AM »

Yes the flying j is south of I 80 on I 25. Don't overlook the Valero across the street form Loves. It is usually 3 or 4 cents cheaper and easier in and out.

The last time I was there (a couple of years ago) they didn't have card readers on the Diesel pumps.  They wanted me to give them my card to hold while I fueled.

Saving three or four bucks isn't worth the risk.

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 10:58:49 AM »

Quote from: Wayne
Quote from: BG6
The last time I was there (a couple of years ago) they didn't have card readers on the Diesel pumps.  They wanted me to give them my card to hold while I fueled.

BG6 we encounter this all the time with our fleet of charter buses and have NEVER had a problem! I We have anywhere from 1-8 drivers @ a time out all carrying a company card and have NEVER had an issue yet! (and yes I know YET, can be an issue in itself!)

But look at it from the station managers side, if he has nothing to hold on an individual (as you are not a company and he doesn't know you from anyone else) and lets just anyone start pumping fuel he could lose up to $1000 very quickly if they drive off! (and yes it happens)
FWIW
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »

Okay, okay.  Yes, the Flying J and Loves in Cheyenne are south of I80 on I25.  There are plenty of signs for te so it would be hard to go the wrong way.  It has been a while and I thought I remembered exiting to the right and going north when going westbound.  

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 12:14:11 PM »

Quote from: belfert
Okay, okay.  Yes, the Flying J and Loves in Cheyenne are south of I80 on I25.  There are plenty of signs for te so it would be hard to go the wrong way.  It has been a while and I thought I remembered exiting to the right and going north when going westbound. 

No it wouldn't be hard if following directions from a fellow busnut that one thought knew something we didn't! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 03:43:02 PM »

Redbus, what day you going thru Wy,we should be heading east thursday am at least to Rawlins before we turn north.
Maybe we will see you.
Have a great trip. Matt

Battle Mountain,NV  Molson,Wa  Yuma,Az

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 07:55:26 PM »

We are in Nebraska now just West of Lincoln in the town of York.We will drive 350/400 miles a day so we will be to the Wyoming line tomorrow night. Then about the Utah line the next night (Thursday I think) unless we stop to visit friends near Rawlins, then all bets are off. Keep in touch and maybe we can meet for a cup.

Terry
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 09:23:22 PM »

If you want to avoid the big hill coming down into SLC on I-80, take I-84 west (or north) to Ogden then I-15 to I-215 around SLC.  No hills on I-84-but 24 miles further. Well worth it-I always did it with my big rig.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
John316

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 05:38:07 AM »

Redbus,

Want a suggestion? Well I will give it to you anyways :-). I would drive on to Cheyenne, WY. It isn't that much farther, and they have a Walmart and Sams club there.

However the real reason that we always stop there is because of the restaurant.

Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant‎
1745 Dell Range Boulevard
Cheyenne, WY 82009-4953
(307) 432-6803

We always stop and eat there. It has very good food, and there is bus parking out in the back lot. The next time we will be going out that way will be in two weeks (it is only a nine hour drive from here, so we will stop for dinner).

FWIW

God bless,

John

redbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 06:02:15 AM »

Thanks Tom
 I appreciate the advise and yes I will go to Ogden then down I-15. After driving 8000 miles since April another 24 is nothing.

John
I think we can do that Today if I can get my wife off the computer and dressed. We like good Mexican food.

Thanks to all
Keep the ideas coming

Terry
John316

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 06:52:02 PM »

John
I think we can do that Today if I can get my wife off the computer and dressed. We like good Mexican food.

Terry,

What did you all think of the place?

God bless,

John

redbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 07:13:42 PM »

Sad to say did not get to Mexican restaurant. Got not Wal-Mart & Wife wanted to fix Taco Salad so I did not argue. Saved Money & Had good food.

Terry
John316

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 05:00:33 AM »

Terry,

That is too bad. Oh well. I know we will not be saving money there Grin Cheesy Grin. Apperently she was at least thinking mexican for dinner Wink.

God bless,

John

redbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 05:56:52 AM »

We will be coming back thru in about 3 weeks  so maybe we will try it then.

Terry
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 08:51:47 AM »

Quote from: Wayne
Quote from: BG6
The last time I was there (a couple of years ago) they didn't have card readers on the Diesel pumps.  They wanted me to give them my card to hold while I fueled.

BG6 we encounter this all the time with our fleet of charter buses and have NEVER had a problem! I We have anywhere from 1-8 drivers @ a time out all carrying a company card and have NEVER had an issue yet! (and yes I know YET, can be an issue in itself!)

But look at it from the station managers side, if he has nothing to hold on an individual (as you are not a company and he doesn't know you from anyone else) and lets just anyone start pumping fuel he could lose up to $1000 very quickly if they drive off! (and yes it happens)

I understand the station's risk -- but I don't have a separate card for fuel, that card is access to all of the money that isn't in my pocket at the time.  The three or four bucks more than I spend at Love's is cheap insurance . . .and I figure I save 5 minutes not having to go in and wait in line to give the card, then process it afterward.

BG6

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 09:17:23 AM »

We will be coming back thru in about 3 weeks  so maybe we will try it then.

On the subject of places to eat, in Salt Lake area there are several Chuck-A-Rama buffets.  These are a notch above the usual (two above Hometown).  There is one near the south end of the Salt Lake Valley that is right off I-15.

If you have never been to one, make sure to stop at In-N-Out Burger.  This is the best fast-food burger in the world -- all they do is burgers, fries and drinks.  Not the $10 gourmet burger, this is a good $2 burger, made fresh.  The french fries get to the store as potatoes, they slice them right there as they are about to go into the fryer.  There is an In-N-Out at the same offramp as the Chuck-A-Rama.

While you are in SLC, I also recommend that you take the (free) tours at Temple Square.  If you are there on a Thursday evening or Sunday morning, you can see a (free) concert by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  There is a museum, the Family History Library (want to find out who your ancestors were?), free films (I suggest that you see "The Testaments," and there is one on the building of the Temple called "Mountain of the Lord"), and it's one of the most pleasant places on the planet.

If you go to "This is the Place," or the Zoo DO NOT go PAST it with your coach.  Emigration Canyon gets narrow and windy.

If you are interested in history, you also want to stop and take the tour at Cove Fort (I'm assuming that you are going down I-15 to I-70 to US 89, which is the best way).

If you like airplanes, DO NOT miss the Hill Aerospace Museum -- it's 15 miles north of SLC, at Hill AFB, but it's a must-see.  There is also a railroad museum in Ogden.

If you are seriously interested in railroad history, go to the Golden Spike National Monument.  On the way, stop at the Big Fill.  A mile or so from where you make the turn to get to Golden Spike, there is an outdoor missile museum at Thiokol.

If you go I-84 (I agree with the recommendation) you will be going through Ogden, and will go right past the Hill museum (plenty of coach parking) and the train museum is only a couple of miles out of the way.

I lived in SLC for a while, and enjoyed it.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 01:47:33 AM »

If you have never been to one, make sure to stop at In-N-Out Burger.  This is the best fast-food burger in the world -- all they do is burgers, fries and drinks.  Not the $10 gourmet burger, this is a good $2 burger, made fresh.  The french fries get to the store as potatoes, they slice them right there as they are about to go into the fryer.  There is an In-N-Out at the same offramp as the Chuck-A-Rama.

While you are in SLC, I also recommend that you take the (free) tours at Temple Square.  If you are there on a Thursday evening or Sunday morning, you can see a (free) concert by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  There is a museum, the Family History Library (want to find out who your ancestors were?), free films (I suggest that you see "The Testaments," and there is one on the building of the Temple called "Mountain of the Lord"), and it's one of the most pleasant places on the planet.

Terry -

I see In-n-Out has finally left CA - used to be a Southern CA outfit only.  If you do stop, try it "Animal Style."  You say you're really hungry?  Get a "4x4" - certain to plug up any remaining unclogged arteries!

A caveat regarding Temple Square and the free tours:  We visited the Square quite a few years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed what was offered.  However, for approximately six months after we got home, we had the Mormon missionaries knocking on our front door roughly every two weeks.  They got our home address because the matriarch signed a guest book somewhere on the grounds.  Not dissin' - just sayin'

Have a good time playing with your toys!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 07:45:49 PM »

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Am just now getting a real good signal. We have been down in the Flaming Gorge National Recreation area in WY/Utah for a couple of days with limited cell service so haven't been able to reply. BTW if you have never been to the Flaming Gorge try to do so. We stayed right down on the lake with spectacular views. We are just passing thru Salt  Lake City so not spending any time there.We just stopped early today because the bus was running warm coming thru SLC. So we will be leaving early in the morning because of reservations in Maryvale tomorrow. Hopefully the next time we can spend more time in Salt Lake City and take in the places suggested.

Terry
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: