Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 08:36:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: traveling from Sioux Falls,SD to Marysvale,Utah  (Read 4205 times)
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 09:17:23 AM »

We will be coming back thru in about 3 weeks  so maybe we will try it then.

On the subject of places to eat, in Salt Lake area there are several Chuck-A-Rama buffets.  These are a notch above the usual (two above Hometown).  There is one near the south end of the Salt Lake Valley that is right off I-15.

If you have never been to one, make sure to stop at In-N-Out Burger.  This is the best fast-food burger in the world -- all they do is burgers, fries and drinks.  Not the $10 gourmet burger, this is a good $2 burger, made fresh.  The french fries get to the store as potatoes, they slice them right there as they are about to go into the fryer.  There is an In-N-Out at the same offramp as the Chuck-A-Rama.

While you are in SLC, I also recommend that you take the (free) tours at Temple Square.  If you are there on a Thursday evening or Sunday morning, you can see a (free) concert by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  There is a museum, the Family History Library (want to find out who your ancestors were?), free films (I suggest that you see "The Testaments," and there is one on the building of the Temple called "Mountain of the Lord"), and it's one of the most pleasant places on the planet.

If you go to "This is the Place," or the Zoo DO NOT go PAST it with your coach.  Emigration Canyon gets narrow and windy.

If you are interested in history, you also want to stop and take the tour at Cove Fort (I'm assuming that you are going down I-15 to I-70 to US 89, which is the best way).

If you like airplanes, DO NOT miss the Hill Aerospace Museum -- it's 15 miles north of SLC, at Hill AFB, but it's a must-see.  There is also a railroad museum in Ogden.

If you are seriously interested in railroad history, go to the Golden Spike National Monument.  On the way, stop at the Big Fill.  A mile or so from where you make the turn to get to Golden Spike, there is an outdoor missile museum at Thiokol.

If you go I-84 (I agree with the recommendation) you will be going through Ogden, and will go right past the Hill museum (plenty of coach parking) and the train museum is only a couple of miles out of the way.

I lived in SLC for a while, and enjoyed it.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 01:47:33 AM »

If you have never been to one, make sure to stop at In-N-Out Burger.  This is the best fast-food burger in the world -- all they do is burgers, fries and drinks.  Not the $10 gourmet burger, this is a good $2 burger, made fresh.  The french fries get to the store as potatoes, they slice them right there as they are about to go into the fryer.  There is an In-N-Out at the same offramp as the Chuck-A-Rama.

While you are in SLC, I also recommend that you take the (free) tours at Temple Square.  If you are there on a Thursday evening or Sunday morning, you can see a (free) concert by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  There is a museum, the Family History Library (want to find out who your ancestors were?), free films (I suggest that you see "The Testaments," and there is one on the building of the Temple called "Mountain of the Lord"), and it's one of the most pleasant places on the planet.

Terry -

I see In-n-Out has finally left CA - used to be a Southern CA outfit only.  If you do stop, try it "Animal Style."  You say you're really hungry?  Get a "4x4" - certain to plug up any remaining unclogged arteries!

A caveat regarding Temple Square and the free tours:  We visited the Square quite a few years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed what was offered.  However, for approximately six months after we got home, we had the Mormon missionaries knocking on our front door roughly every two weeks.  They got our home address because the matriarch signed a guest book somewhere on the grounds.  Not dissin' - just sayin'

Have a good time playing with your toys!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 07:45:49 PM »

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Am just now getting a real good signal. We have been down in the Flaming Gorge National Recreation area in WY/Utah for a couple of days with limited cell service so haven't been able to reply. BTW if you have never been to the Flaming Gorge try to do so. We stayed right down on the lake with spectacular views. We are just passing thru Salt  Lake City so not spending any time there.We just stopped early today because the bus was running warm coming thru SLC. So we will be leaving early in the morning because of reservations in Maryvale tomorrow. Hopefully the next time we can spend more time in Salt Lake City and take in the places suggested.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: