Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 05:26:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traveling through TX, man it's hot, now in CO, ah it's cool  (Read 1345 times)
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »

I left south TX yesterday and traveled up through Abilene.  Sorry Paul, couldn't stop this time.  Arrived at Hamlin RV Park at 10:30pm.  City owned, first night free, 30 amp hookups.  Gosh it was hot between Fredricksburg and Abilene.  Right at 100.  I had the sun at my left side and left quarter of the front window.  I was peeping out the blinds the whole time trying to stay cool.  Wifey was nice and cool in the lounge.  My genny was running 195, the hottest I've ever seen it run.  No problems with the 6v92 engine heat, however.

It was 98 when we arrived in Pampa at noon and I stayed cool up front with just one AC off the inverter.  The difference--the sun was at my right rear of the coach.   Just shows how we get baked through those big front windows.  

Tomorrow, we head out to South Fork CO and a few days at Fun Valley, Pagosa, Creede, and maybe Durango.  I can't wait to get to some cooler air.  

I'll try to post later in the week.

David
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:26:42 AM by David Anderson » Logged
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:14:08 PM »

David;    We feel your pain. We went north/west from Pasco, Wa. last week in 103 deg weather. No over the road A/C, just open windows and water in a spray bottle. Slow goin' up the passes fast goin' down, sun in our eyes. Shouldn't go West in the afternoon. Steering wheel even got hot.  Enjoy the trip...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:36:10 PM »

Hey David, Not to worry, there will be another time when it's cooler!

It hit 101 here today and more triple digits tomorrow, so stay cool!

I'm sure glad I installed some sunscreens on the outside of our windows last weekend, it helped a bunch. Just in the nick of time!

Be safe,

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 05:25:26 PM »

If you don't want to take the bus north to Silverton out of Durango, some pucker moments, you can always ride the train up and back. An awesome area to explore.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 04:45:11 AM »

Here is a tip from someone who lives on the surface of the sun  Wink On my last trip I had problems intermittently with my electrical system while traveling through some HOT desert. We had ice and put a bunch in individual plastic baggies. We also soaked paper towels in cold water. For the driver I would put a ice loaded plastic baggie against my back and then sit on another. I had cold wet paper towels across the back of my neck as well. I had several people on the bus who were very kind to keep the wet towels coming and ice bags renewed. All my family and friends on the bus (7 of us) kept getting their own bags and we had two dogs (one a very old, large, hairy one) and put ice bags between their harnesses and backs on their skin. It sure DID work!!! It made the trip quite comfortable almost like we had air cond or something!!! I am now going to make sure I incorporate a small ice chest next to the driver's seat or in the dash for the conversion. The vests and pants that our soldiers use in Iraq have simular ice bags built into them, or so I am told.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:31:21 AM »

A similar trick that you can do if you don't have ice. Take a wash cloth or hand towel or bath towel and get it wet, you want it just more than damp but not sopping wet. Take one end and twirl it around for about 15-20 seconds then take the other end and do the same thing. You will be surprised how cool it now is. Works even with warm or hot water. We were dry camping in AZ. from Feb-June one year and had no AC at the time. It was hot, 100-107 for about a month total during that time. With the 2 of us and a dog we could all stay cool only using one gallon of water a day. Back in the days before ac in cars was common, people took canvas covered water bags, got them wet, and hung them on their outside rearview mirrors to keep their water cold while going down the road. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 08:00:43 AM »

Forgot to say that when the towels no longer are cool, just twirl them around again and reuse. Usually good for about 5-6 times. When they no longer cool down then just add a little amount of water and start over. Takes very little water to do. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 12:02:47 PM »

Has there ever been a better thread to inspire people to INSULATE everything as much as you possibly can?  A recent post stated the "it doesn't get that hot in Orygun usually s I should be OK".  No you won't be and you will be hot or cold in the future and rue that thought.

AND....nobody mentioned the 12 fans I have in the drivers side...two of them for only me.  And one for Mama and if she wants more she only has to ask.  If I am not to cold in the winer I put them on and direct the air to the rear cause I can get more heat than I need at the cockpit and keeping the back "warmer" is good for the tripos to the potty.  I regret ripping the hot water feeds to the rear out.  To do over?  I would have found a rear fan driven heater and used the HW water in the winter.

Install 2 fans for the driver.  The $15 spendy ones have two speeds and oscillate.  I have one over each bed also and the roof mounted fantastic to change air.  It has to get pretty hot for me to need night time AC.

Wear a neckerchief weted around your forehead for a LOT of help.  Especially with a breeze.
Be cool folks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 10:26:04 AM »

Finally got to a computer in the South Fork Library.  The drive up TX 152 to Borger, Dumas, then US 87 to Raton was great.  I love the Kiowa Grasslands on US 87 west of Clayton.  The landscape is like artwork to me.  Bought fuel in Dumas at Walmart, $2.79 diesel.
The climb up Raton Pass and La Veta pass went well.  Finally turned off the genny at La Veta pass and just ran the front AC off the inverter.  When we got to Monte Vista, didn't need any AC and just opened the vents.  I've been suffering at Fun Valley in South Fork, 48 at night and 70 in the day.  We have spent a lot of time at Creede.  They have a great theater there and several different plays weekly.  Rented a jeep and climbed to the San Luis summit.  Nice but really bumpy.  We have kayak rafts and did one day on the Rio Grande, and of course Fun Valley had something every night to keep us busy.  My wife pulled out her fiddle and I took my stand up bass and we jammed one night with some of the guests.  That was really fun.

We will go to Pagosa tommorrow then head back to Trinidad Sunday afternoon.  Back to Borger on Monday, then Pleasanton in Tues.  Ichh, not looking forward to the south Texas heat.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: