Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 21, 2017, 08:03:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generator lurching/chugging  (Read 4637 times)
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »

have you adjusted the valves?

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »

My Kubota did something similar while running on one of the hottest days this summer.  It suddenly wouldn't rev up.  Ended up being a sooted muffler.  Made all sorts of odd noises.  Figured big bucks.  After spending a couple days dinking with it, pulled the muffler and...
It's curious that your engine continues to run quietly between the noise peaks.  If the timing gears...pump (rack control?), cams, were the cause, seems as though it wouldn't pick back up.  Could the noise be an exhaust leak as the pressure builds up?   Have you pulled the muffler? 
Are there any large solenoids that control the RPM?  Can the speed control be mechanically operated so that the engine control is isolated from the gen head?  Could the gen head be shutting the engine down by varying the control voltage?  Isuzu diesels are good engines.  Hard to believe the engine is failing at 50 hours?   
Large MH diesel gensets are famous for sooting up small mufflers.
Good luck!
My SWAG for the day.  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 10:18:02 PM »

NJT5047 makes a very valid point.  Normal car mufflers are made for Gasoline engines-meaning their passages or holes are small.  This leads to the Diesel soot blocking the small passages and eventually plugging up the muffler.  Whereas Diesel designed mufflers have holes and passages that are large enough to pass the soot through.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Depewtee

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 04:25:04 AM »

I am still waiting for a return call from the Ideal Marine Diesel - the closest authorized repair center.  When I spoke with them originally they said they might have a service technician in the area within the next two weeks.  The muffler is designed for the engine, but I will try some of the suggestions made in this thread and report back this weekend.

Thanks to all,
Brian S.

Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: