Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 02:09:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Knew?  (Read 819 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2010, 09:52:30 AM »

I have researched it and finally come up with the answer to my shifter problem.  The shifter is for a Allison 740 and I am using it on a 647.  The Allison 647 requires more shift throw.  I wanted to pass this on for anyone planning on installing a 600 series transmission.  We plan to solve the problem by either getting another shifter or remounting the the cable closer to the pivot on the transmission shift lever. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:08:57 AM »

Did the tips manual help?

Surprising the installer didn't check that when it was put in. Some days you don't even get what you paid for. . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 12:47:38 PM »

Kyle,

I downloaded that file and it is a good addition to my resources.  I supplied the shifter for installation.  It was not done by a transmission shop but rather a very competent fellow busnut/professional mechanic.  The difference in the shifters needed for an Allison 647 and 740 is one small piece of esoteric information that would surprise most that do not handle this stuff daily.  The 740 shifter does work, but it does not throw far enough to go into first manually.  This shortcoming was not even noticeable to me until, after over 300 miles of driving, I got onto a steep enough grade to make me want to keep it in first.  It was just easy to miss. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 01:35:49 PM »

No slight intended.

I always considered properly adjusting the shifter cable as a critical part of the install, just as important as having the correct fluid & fill level. 

A shifter that is out of adjustment can allow the shifter spool valve in the transmission bleed pressure off the clutches & lead to slipping & burnt clutches.

The adjustment procedure is outlined in the manual & is simple -IF the parts line up. Might get time consuming & aggravating if something needs to be modified.  Wink

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: