Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 18, 2014, 06:54:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally happened-We blew the outer dual at 70mph!  (Read 893 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2010, 05:29:57 AM »

Going down the OHio tp, 65 or 70 mph, then bang.  since there was no immediate movement, my first thought was who fired a shotgun, then reality set in and we pulled over next to an entrance ramp.  walked around and didn't even see it at first, then noticed the broken bead. huge blowout hole on the inside sidewall.  dug out coachnet number and called.
the guy was there in half hour, i already had the spare out and he pryed it off the rim and put it on the wheel.  back on the road in under 2 hours.
We stopped in Elkhart for the night and the spare bothered me.  we were on the way to SD, grandson on board, with 3 8 yr old michilins and an old goodyear.  Called wingfoot and got 4 new 11r24.5's on the rear axle, mounted and balanced, $1500 incl tax.

now i think we're safer.  so back on the road to become South Dakotans.

and a week later, we're back in Ohio.  i did notice that the Goodyears seem to run 145 deg where the Michelins were 125 deg?  checked the air and its right, they just seem softer and run hotter.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 07:15:20 AM »

Tom, glad you guys got through that one OK! and every one is safe. That's good news about the quick roadside repair, enjoy the rest of the trip. Wink

Van

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 08:42:19 AM »

Sometimes a tire will just blow.  I've had both recaps and new tires blow in the first 500 miles of driving.  Using a system like Pressure Pro-where you have individual tire pressure monitors on each tire really helps.  Also (from being an old truck driver), whenever I stop-which is about ever 2 hours, I get out and feel each tire to see if I have a hot running tire.  Low tire pressure causing excessive heat is the number one reason for a tire blowout.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 09:14:15 AM »

Glad to hear it all worked out. The 2 hour hold up is the easy part. It is the 2 hours of lip I would have to listen to from the family that I would have a problem with. They act like they are the only ones inconvenienced and I don't know we have a problem. Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: