Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 08:53:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Progressive insurance claim question  (Read 4025 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2010, 03:35:36 PM »

For anyone who has gone with Progressive Insurance, have you ever had to file a claim for repairs? If so, how did it go?
The reason I ask is because my other half writes insurance and has her doubts as to whether they would actually honor a claim and especially if it were a large one and\or with serious injuries. She says there is quite a bit of wiggle room for them to deny if they are so inclined. She was told that are not supposed to write non professionally built coach conversions because the company doesn't like them for many reasons, they can be a Pandora's box in an accident scenario including such things as standards of workmanship and maintenance history. Yes, many get insurance written by not being totally truthful of the type of "rv" being written but that can end up meaning that upon a claim find yourself out in the cold because they were not told what they were really writing a policy for which nullifies the policy.
I know that some agents will write anyway because they want to add the policy in their book especially if it's they can write your home owners, cars etc. Other agents plain decline to write because it's such a gray area.
Some offices, especially in the central/eastern areas apparently are told that it's alright though we can't verify who is telling them this and to be honest we've never been able to get a solid committed answer from the company which also makes us leery, all she has heard is no, do not write them. We're told that some independent offices will write the policy even though the company does not want them and they know it, they apparently gamble on no claims with that policy. This also can apply to other insurance companies too so I guess by extension my question applies to all carriers. I worry a little that some of us may be actually running without coverage and never know it.   

So anyway, has anyone ever filed an accident claim with them and how did it go? We're trying to get a solid answer on the issue because I may go with them since my boat is with them and she can write the policy.

What type of policy have you gotten? Replacement? Agreed?
Any other insurance people out there who can shed some light?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 03:37:15 PM by Paladin » Logged

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 03:59:07 PM »

I dropped Progressive because of the wiggle room as your wife described they even had one for the agreed value it was called current and fair market value according to the adjuster at the time of claim.
BTW I been on the other side of the mountain from you in Fairview UT for a few days moved on now too much cold rain and lighting

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »

The reason I ask is because my other half writes insurance and has her doubts as to whether they would actually honor a claim and especially if it were a large one and\or with serious injuries. She says there is quite a bit of wiggle room for them to deny if they are so inclined. She was told that are not supposed to write non professionally built coach conversions because the company doesn't like them for many reasons, they can be a Pandora's box in an accident scenario including such things as standards of workmanship and maintenance history.

I know you're looking for people that have had claims with them, but I think you have a pretty solid professional answer right there already.  Someone you already trust far more than anybody on the Internet has valid concerns that are based on her professional knowledge of the insurance industry. 

Beyond that, I will add that 3 years ago I was insurance shopping and was told by Progressive (hq?, the phone # published on their website) that they only write policies on professionally done conversions.  And I too have heard of various "methods" people use to get the policy anyway.  But you already know the important point - wiggle room.

Every insurance policy has one thing in common.  In the fine print they all say something to the effect that any false or misleading information can lead to policy revocation or denial of a claim.  You could pay every premium on time for years and then have an accident resulting in a large claim.  An adjuster will look it over carefully and if they see anything that makes them doubt it was a professional conversion, they will investigate further.  If it wasn't converted by an actual business that converts/converted buses as a profession, they will report their findings to the insurance company who will then deny the claim and cancel the policy on the grounds that it was made based on false information.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 04:30:39 PM »

I had an auto claim with them.  I was hit in the rear.  Let's just say that if I thought I could have gotten away with it...they would have been dead bodies laying around!  Legally they were within bounds...morally they suck!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 05:00:37 PM »

As an insurance broker I have had Progressive (with over 30 other carriers I write for) in my agency. I have found them to be very good on claims.  I have been involved with thousands of claims over the years and I can tell you first hand- "they pay well"....  Their commission structure to agents is on the very low side.  So, I am not saying this just because I am affraid to bite the hand that feeds me.

I can tell you that most times if you get hit by another party you can be certain their insurance carrier is "not" going to be on your side.  They are going to be on the side of their clients.  Just a fact. Do not expect the get any red carpet treatment.

I did have my Prevost with them for two years but found a better rate with National Explorer.  Im
certain that both companies pay what they have to pay on claims.

Now, Progressive does not like "home-made" bus conversions nor "home-made" cycles built with
SOS titles.  It is very simple, the longer it takes to settle a claim the more it cost the insurance company. Most parts can be secured a lot faster from a bus company (in general) than have to have a part replaced that was hand made by the owner. If a vehicle is not manufactured by - Marathon, Liberty, Beaver- ect...- they don't want that business period.  Now if an agent tries to distort the truth to get a policy- all will get burned in the end.   Be honest, pay your premium, read your policy and you will be fine.

I could list a bunch of brand name companies that the general public thinks are good companies.
I know better though.  I can list many companies the general public has never heard of who
are tops when it comes to taking care of claims.  Not going to point fingers or name any names.
I do know Progressive does pay and they take full responsibility to close a claim with both parties
being on the same page.  This is 48 years experience in the insurance industry speaking.  Just some
wise FYI....  Anytime your in an accident or have a claim you will never come out ahead or for that fact you will not even break even.  Deductibles, time wasted and so on.  

Tully Lee
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 05:38:42 PM »

Excellent topic. Thanks for bringing it up.

Right now we are insured with Snake farm. They have come out and have taken pics of the bus. They know what it is, and that we have done it. We are paying 900 for it.

However, which company should we use? Progressive is more expensive.

Clifford, who did you use, after you quit progressive?

Tully, who do you recommend?

Does anybody else have any recommendations?

Thanks.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 05:47:49 PM »

LOL, never heard the term Snake Farm... funny stuff.

I switched to National Explorer RV... Heard good things about them from many people.
The proof however is in the pudding.  You really do not know until you file and claim.
So far I am impressed with the customer service and also the very affordable premium.
My 2 cents.

Tully Lee
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 05:49:46 PM »

Do they insure non-professionally converted bus concerns (I mean, conversions)?

Thanks.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »

My Experience is not bus related, however with Progressive. A very good friend whom owns a body shop has turned them into the state insurance commission at least twice for thier business practises ( it was not a surprise to the state office and he was look'n forward to bust'm again).  They are corner cut'n, underhanded, put non OEM crap on your car, cut the estimate down after you've started the job, want half butt quality work done type of outfit.  I hope I was clear.   I know multiple times my friend whom does stuff to OEM standards has had to call a customer and explain that thier insurance is pull'n this crap and that if they want thier late model car fixed with OEM parts and car properly prep'd for paint ( pull trim, pull door handles & etc) that they will have to pay out of pocket the difference between what Progressive will pay and what OEM parts cost.  I would NEVER have them.   

Bill

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 07:22:40 PM »

Just a friendly reminder, let's not take this thread down into bashing.

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=26.msg95#msg95
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 07:28:31 PM »

My experience was real, I was not bashing them, I was telling it like it was!
They were trying to leave me with a car worth $10,000.00 before their insured hit me with one worth $5,000.00 after it was repaired.  It was within $500.00 of being totaled, they would not total it.
Like my old boss said about another insurance company, "It is easier to get rid of a venerial disease than a claim with____!  I feel that way about Progressive!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 07:33:35 PM »

I don't think that speaking factually of an insurance carrier you have history with is bashing, it's not a person or even a member. Relating a true story which may inform others to possible troubles with coverage is a good thing in my book!

I'm going to have to look into National Explorer.

Let's do this, if you have had a positive experience with a BUS related policy with your insurance carrier let us know. It sounds like there are more than a few who are curious. Maybe we could get Tully to give us a little write up on the in's, out's and caveats or maybe that has been done already? I'd like to read one because we here in my house are not that well versed in rv insurance, some even want to call it a specialty insurance for what we have. These beasts are not cheap and most of us have quite a bit tied up in them. It would be a sad thing to get burned because you were misinformed or mislead.  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 07:35:33 PM by Paladin » Logged

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 08:10:33 PM »

I'm sorry if I stepped out of bounds with my comments.  You are welcome to move my comment to the "Off topic" area or delete it.   I had no intentions of breaking the rules. 

If I was going to use them for conversion coverage I'd recommend finding a shop or two that has dealt with thier adjusters and what kind of corners/costs were cut. 

Bill in KS

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 07:13:25 AM »

The trend that I have seen over the last ten years or so in the insurance industry is this:

1) There used to be company loyalty.  The company BRAND meant a lot.  These companies
    wanted a polished name that stood for something.  Something strong and good.

Today:  No longer that much of an issue.  The public does not put much faith in
                company names anymore.  Most consumers are "price" conscience only.
                Loyalty is no longer part of the equation.  Saving money is.

2) Companies in the past would pay claims or do whatever was needed to make certain
     a claim gets paid.

Today:  Companies look for ways not to pay a claim or for the loop holes.
                Companies are "tight" on the claims process.  This means pay only
                what they have to pay and nothing more.

Tully Lee
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 07:25:17 AM »

Failed to mention one other thing on the claims process:

Let's say a claim is presented on a 2005 Chevy Suburban with 82,000 miles on the clock.
Companies will use a percentage of the actual loss to decide if they are going to repair
or total the car.  Most are in the 70-80% range.  If the vehicles market value is $10,000
and repairs are $8500.00 that would be 85% ratio to repair and vehicle would be declared
a total.  Anything above the 70/80-% range simply puts too much liability on the company
if a future loss takes place.  The client could say the second accident took place because of
vehicle failure (which was due to prior accident/repairs) and that is something the carrier does not want to contend with.

That 1995 Suburban gets into an accident.  Remember it has 82,000 miles on the odometer?
It seems that during the claims process everyone wants a "brand new oem" fender, bumper and such.  Well that bumper or fender on the 1995 Suburban was not new at the time of loss.
It had five years of usage.  That vehicle had 82,000 miles on it.  If the engine locked up during the accident would one expect a brand new zero miles engine to be installed?  We all need to "read" our policies and understand just what we have "before and accident... These are the things we need to be made aware of.

Tully Lee
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: