Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 10:23:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redesigning bus generator bay ****PICS ADDED****  (Read 6345 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 06:27:21 AM »

the gen thru the passenger side grate

Left side gen

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 06:29:59 AM »

right side gen

useless slide out

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 06:32:29 AM »

he gen as it sits with door open

www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 07:05:15 AM »

Wayne, that  looks like a Wirco generator it intakes air from the rear of the head the air goes through head on the inside of the head and discharges at the opening between the head and engine you need a vent there as others have said I use a floor vent one you can close off in the winter vent it and remove the outside scoop and you should be good as you have enough opening for the radiator pull the air in with radiator fan don't try and push it out it will also help take the exhaust heat out of the compartment

good luck  
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:16:47 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 07:29:58 AM »

Luvrbus, Why do you want to close the vent during the winter?
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 07:39:21 AM »

Wayne, that  looks like a Wirco generator it intakes air from the rear of the head the air goes through head on the inside of the head and discharges at the opening between the head and engine you need a vent there as others have said I use a floor vent one you can close off in the winter vent it and remove the outside scoop and you should be good as you have enough opening for the radiator pull the air in with radiator fan don't try and push it out it will also help take the exhaust heat out of the compartment

good luck  

The scoop is coming off.  It looks like it would be a good idea but I see where your coming from and it is out of there.

www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »

Eddie, I closed mine in the winter when in the 20's it helped the heating and kept the plumbing from freezing  not that you Texas guys worry about that till you get north of Dallas

good luck

eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 07:51:15 AM »

Freezing would for sure not be a problem today Cry. So I am guessing it would be a good idea to make a slide cover over the the radiator vent on the door also for storage.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 08:23:33 AM »

exhaust wrap like for headers..I did mine helps reduce heat in compartment..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 09:20:49 AM »

Just curious - does that fan push air through the radiator and out the side of the bus, or pull air in the side of the bus and out somewhere else?  Both the side of the bus and under the floor are mostly low pressure areas along the side of the bus.  In either case building a shroud to seal the front of the radiator to the screen might help a bit.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »

It pushes out through the screen on the door.  If your standing next to it, you can feel the air ripping out of the screen.  It works well until you get a strong sidewind stopping the air from exiting the screen.  Then it no works so good.  I believe Luvrbus has me on a program to fix it.

www.snakebreaker.com
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 10:58:02 AM »

In that case sealing the rad to the screen will help, as will creating a low pressure area to suck air out of the rad.  Putting the scoop on backwards will do that, as will a simple gurney flap like a 2" tall piece of aluminium angle at the leading edge of the rad stuck out in the airstream.  You need to create a bubble of quiet, low pressure around the rad exit.

Or consider reversing the fan in some way and sucking air in through the rad, and then exhausting out the floor, exactly like a car engine does.  May not work as well for stationary use though.  I suspect the best solution is a remote rad on the floor, with the fan forcing air out under the bus.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »

Ours is sucking in thru the floor in front of the rad and blowing out thru the floor behind the radiator.  The blower is attatched to the floor behind the rad blowing down out the bottom into a baffle that directs that hot air away from the inlet that is almost directly next to it.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 05:41:30 AM »

I think I have engineered a design in my brain that will not take a whole lot of work and will make the slide out functional as well as exhaust the hot rad air.  If you look at the overall photograph you can see the slide is worthless.  It is used as a mount only.  The gen needs to turn 90 degrees and be rebolted to the floor. 

So I am thinking strip the bay of black tank and fresh tank.  Turn the gen and base 90 degrees and move it to the right side of the bay as far as possible.  This would have the rad pointing right at the left wall in the photograph.  Next I could cut as large a hole in the floor and weld in expanded metal.  The hole will be as large as needed to easily move air from the bay to outside.  With the gen set in place I can bolt a fabricated diamond tread aluminum box over the expanded metal grate.  The box will have a top and 2 sides but open to recieve the air blown from the radiator.  This way the gen slides in and locks, the rad meets the opening in the box/duct, when the gen slides out the box is left behind still bolted to the floor. 

The slide is tight with little play so I should be able to engineer the aluminum hot air duct with pretty tight specifications, of course allowing a little for flex and vibration.  The opening will be far enough into the bay so as exhausted air will not meet the tire on the tag axle.  I am posting up a sktch and want you fellas to kick it around a little.  Hurt my feelings flame me or whatever you need to do.  I want to hear it all so I get it right one time on the first time.

www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 06:31:29 AM »

Wayne, only one little change to the setup go ahead and install the radiator between the frame by the fuel tank and use a 3 speed ac cage blower the little fan on the engine won't move enough air for you and set the generator on the outside close to the bay door not a good idea to install the generator that far in the bay.
Mine was setup in the front bay if you ever noticed photos of my x it had no vents in the side of the bus worked well for me.

good luck
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:42:48 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: