Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 02:31:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: voltage regulator  (Read 1141 times)
Denny

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2010, 03:05:23 PM »

My Delco-Remy 9000551 regulator is starting to act up. It jumps up and down 14v to 14.5+.  I used to just turn off the enging and restart it and it would go back to normal, but now starting and stopping does not seem to help.  I need to know if anyone out there has a source for either and new(ha ha) or a rebuilt one.  My bus is a 58 4104.

Denny
gus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 04:33:58 PM »

Denny,

If you're talking about the huge, heavy original, I have the one I took out of my '54. I have no idea if it works but you are welcome to it if you pay shipping costs. It is sitting in my shop somewhere, I just have to find it!!

My bus was long ago converted to a regular truck alternator and the old reg was just taking up space in my rear elect panel.

If it were mine I wouldn't worry about that much minor fluctuation. However, it could also be a sign of worse things to come!

I think it is pretty simple and may be no more than a burned connector, those things are sturdy and built like they belong in a tank. My guess is that if you remove the cover you will be able to see the problem.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:03:36 PM »

Denny, that regulator or a replacement is available for that number. You can probably scare one up from the bus suppliers, like Luke at US Coach.

Also, it is repairable. We had a bad one and I only had to order the power transistor and solder it in. It works fine.

Good luck.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 09:20:26 PM »

I replaced my transistorized huge black box regulator with a digital regulator that is about the size of a pack of cigarettes.  It has much better voltage regulation. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »

I replaced my regulator with a new one and set it up for my Isolator and it works MUCH better than the original in spite of the regulator between the house and coach start batteries

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Denny

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 03:47:41 AM »

Tom C - I know you are a So. Cal guy so do you know of a shop that could  put a more modern one in.  I take my mechanical things to Delaney&Ahlf in Bakersfield but I don't think they like to work on electrical things.  I am also going to call Luke today.  We are just returning from a 3 month trip to Newfoundland, 8500 miles so far and we still have 1600 to get home.  It seams to be running OK but it is not normal and I want to get it fixed.

Thanks for your help, and any other suggestions are welcome
Denny
Denny

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 04:05:53 AM »

I called Luke and he has the parts to rebuild my old regulator.  $116 plus shipping.  Luke is truly a great resource for guys like us that are driving 50 year old rigs.

Thanks to Luke and all of you that helped.  This board is great.

Denny
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: