Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 17, 2014, 02:24:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof sealant or coating  (Read 3752 times)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »

The Henry's product I used has not chaulked in the almost 7 years it's been on. But then again we don't live in a wet climate! Grin

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
crown

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 07:13:40 PM »

may i ask why are you coating your roofs are they leaking ? i am just planning to paint roof when we paint bus crown

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 07:15:54 PM »

Crown,

Nope, ours isn't leaking. I just want something more reflective on the roof. It is a white right now....

I figure that would also be another layer of protection.

FWIW

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 03:30:54 AM »

I used the elastomeric white roof coating to help cool down the interior temps when it's hot. It seems to work just fine, white paint is also a good way to go. Just the way I did it. One more thing, it's not as slick if it's damp or wet to walk on as paint would be. It has a rougher texture, but dirt also clings to it easier than paint. But a good hard rain washes it clean.

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
bebackbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 03:04:54 PM »

I think I used kool coat don't remember.  The roof was painted white already but I was hoping that the kool coat  would cool the interior more and as a side benefit might also seal any leaks not yet visible.  I did half the roof and took a break.  I walked back in the bus and the part of the roof I did was very noticeably cooler.  It was like walking into the shade.  The roof looks a little like a vinyl roof and does collect dirt but is worth the trade off. IMO
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 04:29:02 PM »

Has anyone used any of the variety of bedliners on there roof?

Results?  Opinions?

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 05:35:49 PM »

i painted mine with that white elastomeric roof coating from lowes/home depot.  i noticed a 15 to 20 deg difference taken with a infrared thermometer on the inside roof skin.  i did mine for the heat, not because of leaks.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
DebDav

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 05:53:11 PM »

I had a Linex roof sprayed on my 1996 S&S - Discovery -   Polar white.  I did not notice a significant difference in lack of heat at the ceiling.  I did not notice the additional weight.

I am going to coat the roof of my Prevost with TC Ceramic www.tcceramic.com coating and then consider a bedliner on top for additional protection.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 05:16:05 PM »

Hey guys, excuse the 'tarded boy's questions, I'm not very familiar with this stuff.

What is the consistency of this stuff (Henry's)?
I assume that you just paint or roll this on? Do you do the entire surface or only seams and rivets? What is the dried surface like? Do you paint over or leave as is?
Could you apply it inside as well as an added level of safety? Can it be removed if needed? What is cleanup like?

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: