Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 08:45:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headliner  (Read 5345 times)
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 09:31:27 PM »

Question regarding headliner - I understand about the sewing - but how is the seam attached to the ceiling?

Thanks
Danny

PS - yeah two cats....  :-)

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
Merlin

Run away before the kids come back home.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 06:16:49 AM »

If your using ozite as one poster said, keep in mind that it will be very hard to keep clean and it will keep any cooking odors and from that it willmost likely dis-color.

Also if your using vinyl and want somewhat of a cushion, you can use a material mfgr'd for putting under the laminate plank flooring such as Pergo,  in homes. It's very thin and gives just enough cushion. I plan on doing just that!

Ace ...,
I think you need to pull from my recent experience and testing with that cushion material.  We bought a bunch of it with the same idea ... that is ... padding under the vinyl wall coverings.  It was a TOTAL disaster.  The contact cement seemed to work fine, and the cushion material stuck nicely.  Then the vinyl went on the next day just fine too.  A few weeks later, it all let go.  I mean I was p**sed off.  All that work and now we were back to square one.  So I located an on-line source for a 1/8" thick dense foam padding that is supposed to be made for cushioning under vinyl.  Price was probably less than we paid for the laminate flooring cushion material.  Results are better too.  Now my wall material is holding just fine and we have confidence that it will also hold on the ceilings when we get to them in a week or so.

Oh, and about that Ozite stuff.  You are sooo ... correct.  It is probably easy to stick up and for a while it looks OK, but it will hold dirt like a sponge.  Our bus came with total Ozite ceiling and some on the walls too.  I thought it was supposed to be medium gray.  However after pulling down the overhead cabinets, I saw WHITE Ozite.  And dust ... that stuff was loaded with sneezy dust.  It was a hot humid day when I was ripping down the old Ozite and you can imagine how all that itchy dust and Ozite shreds felt on my bare sweaty hide.

Merlin

Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 06:26:52 AM »

Merlin,

My upolster also told me the same thing about the CPVC in that stuff. that the adhesive won't bond to it!!   He used the 1/4 " dence foam in mine too.

Sorry ACE, I would experiment first!!

Nick-
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 06:28:23 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 10:42:24 AM »

I got this theory that we are making a Motorhome-the key being home.  How many houses have you seen with vinyl ceilings?  I know, I'm just a simpleton. I covered my roof with 1/8" plywood that is screwed in to the longitutely running 1x2 strips, about 12" apart.  I did the unthinkable and painted the plywood semi gloss white.  Then where all the screws are holding up the plywood, I got 2" wide oak molding, urethaned it and ran the molding down the same path as the 1x2 strips, using phillips head finish screws.  I have alot of exposed screws in the bus.  I decided instead of knocking myself out trying to figure out how to hide them, make them obvious, and then it just melds in.  The big side line to this is that it allows me to unscrew anything to modify or service it without having to re glue anything back up.  I have also found that glued foam backed vinyl will come down in a few years as the foam deteriorates (course maybe someone makes a truly quality foam now).  Just my way-I'm not as fussy as most.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
NCbob

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2006, 12:17:27 PM »

Nothing wrong with that line of thinking from my point of view, Tom.  Why do we insist on making life so complicated?
If a Converter had done what you did...it would be widely accepted and not given a second thought! Grin

NCbob
Ace

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 12:45:14 PM »

Maybe the foam under layement you guys have used is different than what I'm referring to. It's only about 1/16th to 1/8th inch thick. Very Thin! I have tested it using contact cement. It Isn't coming off without some serious damage. I thinkif your coach is maintaing a constant temperature as mine always is, you wouldn't have a problem of it letting go. Maybe it got too hot inside and it just came loose! Keep in mind that I'm using 3/8 plywood so I have the choice of using the glue AND staples. I know with staples it won't sag or come loose. The plywood is thick enough so the staples won't come thru the vinyl. A local converter here that converts Prevost busses for bands and music "stars" that actually lease them from a broker has given me permission to tour his operation on many occasions and has answered my many questions. He actually uses 1/2 plywood over 1/2 inch plywood. Sorry,  I don't feel comfortable having 1/2 plywood over me being held by small plastic xmas tree fasteners. I opted to use 3/8 which will work just fine! My ceiling will allow me to drop it down, make changes if needed and put back up without any re-gluing or screwing. Sanps or presses  in, snaps or presses out!

I like the idea of a painted ceiling with oak trim. Sounds like a home I once lived in! Nothing at all wrong with it. You did it your way and that's a good thing!

Ace

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 08:39:28 PM »

ACE,

My panels are 1/4" luan, 1/4" dence foam glued, then Stone Ultrasuede. Shadowed by Brushed Stainless Steel.

They are fastened with 3M Duel Lock.  Holds very well.

Here are some pics.

Nick-
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 12:21:18 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Ace

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 10:45:30 PM »

Nick it looks real good. I thought about it but always looking for a different way! So far so good!

Ace
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 10:30:11 AM »

On my bus, I used that vinyl shower surround.  I just glued and screwed it to the top with intentions of eventually covering the screws with a piece of trim molding.  It gives it a nice finished look and if you ever have a problem with it, just replace that piece.

My 2 cents.

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: