Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 10:03:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our $21 Diesel weekend with the bus - any other unusual bus uses?  (Read 1441 times)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« on: August 21, 2006, 07:44:23 AM »

We took the bus out for a weekend, and our cost was only $20.  Granted, it was a different kind of use, but we still had a LOT of fun!

We volunteered our bus to provide generator power (we have a 10K Kubota, from Wrico) for our church's annual Jamboree.  On Saturday night we had another couple, along with their children to watch the movie "RV - Robin Williams", along with some of their friends as well.  On Sunday, the bus also served as a waiting / quiet area for the pastor before the service, in addition to providing electric power for a row of air rides, moon bouncers, etc..

All in all, my total cost was about 6 Gallons of diesel, we had a great time, and helped out as well.

I'd be curious as to other unconventional uses other busnuts have used their busses, for example in service provided to others, different kinds of travel - I remember one busnut provided their bus to be used in a movie shoot, etc...

Best Regards, Phil

Picture #1 shows bus the bus saturday night while camping with friends.

Picture #2 shows the bus along with the last "bouncer / air ride" in the row of toys.  I didn't realize this, but those things require a lot of "juice"!  This one toy alone used  3 10 AMP  motors.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 07:46:00 AM by plyonsMC9 » Logged

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 08:40:54 AM »

I have used my bus for almost the same purpose.  I used it to haul around a Southern Gospel Quartet and once, we sang for the Fulton Volunteer Fire Department in Fulton, AL at their annual Gospel Music Benefit.  We were at the baseball field and we kept tripping breakers with all the sound equipment and lights.  I just ran two extension cords and we ran all the sound equipment for the rest of the day.

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 10:07:34 AM »

I use mine each year as a check in station and to provide power for the coffee pot at the Cottonwood, AZ Christmas parade.  Makes it easy for people to find the check in station as the people at the gate just point and say go to the bus.  Also have a lot of fun.
ED
MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 10:24:33 AM »

Hi guys - thanks for sharing,

Grin  Grin  fun stuff!   Grin  Grin

I hope more will sound off on this.  I'm seeing more excuses   reasons to use the bus!

Kind Regards, Phil

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 11:14:21 AM »

Hi guys - thanks for sharing,
 Grin  Grin  fun stuff!   Grin  Grin
I hope more will sound off on this.  I'm seeing more excuses   reasons to use the bus!
Kind Regards, Phil

Hey Phil,
My buses are not quite the same as ya'lls but I recently had a strang request to charter our bus for the day to sit at a "Ritchie Brithers Auction" site for the day ! Why ? A/C for the vistitor's and staff ! Total A/C users that day ? 3 ! 1 staff member, his daughter, & her friend ! LOL ! But they said we'll probably have more people take advantage of it next time (especially if we announce that's what it's here for! LOL! Wow, I sat all day in a nice cool bus (70*) watching people stand and walking around out in 108* temps all afternoon! I wondered why nobody was coming to the bus until they told me they'd forgoten to announce it was there for everyones use! LOL ! I also spoke with a friend of mine who has buses in WA who said they call him in the winter to provide heated sitting ! FWIW BK Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 11:28:01 AM »

Very COOOOL  Knuckle!!
Thanks for the contribution -   Grin  Grin  Grin

Now - if I could just get someone to pay ME to sit in my air conditioned bus .....   Cheesy

Best Regards, Phil

Dallas

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 12:08:00 PM »

Here's an unusual use for a bus:

about 18 years ago I lived in Columbus Mt.
Now Columbus isn't a Big Town, it had a population of around 1100, with 3 police cars.

One night we had a storm that knocked out our power and telephone so, I hopped in the car and headed to town to use a pay phone, (Remember Those?), of which there were a grand total of 3. The closest one was on the opposite side of the road which had a double yellow line and a GREAT BIG sign that said "No U-Turns".
Well, I looked around, didn't see any traffic, so whipped a yewey right then and there.... wrong thing to do.
The next thing that happened was a local officer pulled up behind me with lights going Blue, Blue, Blue and then another from the other direction.
These nice officers explained to me patiently the error of my ways and while doing so, examined my registration, CDL and insurance card.
One of these fine gentlemen happened to notice that my insurance had expired 21 days before.

OOPS! BIG OOPS!
To make a long story short, I was sentenced to $350 fine or 70 hours of community service.
Being the nice guy I am, I took the community service and was assigned to helping build a little league field.
We dug holes, planted posts, strung chain link fencing, put on foam bumpers, and generally had a great time about 2 days a week.... along with drinking complete semi load of cold adult beverages.
When it came time to build the back stop, the CofC supplied a nice set of scaffolding to climb way up ontop of to put up the high stuff.
Unfortunately it rained, and rained and rained and...... more. When we tried climbing the scaffolding it would sink into bottomless mud and get so far off level that it was in danger of falling over.
At the time I had a 1955 IH Skoolie that I had turned into a hunting cabin with an observation deck on top. This I volunteered.
We moved out the scaffolding, moved the bus in, and doing some backing and filling to get close enough to the back stop to work.
That bus made it much easier to work and we got the chainlink up in record time.
The guy was so pleased that he signed off on all of our cards, there were three of us, and told the judge we had completed our community service.

So the moral is:
When in Columbus, MT. Make a U turn in the center of town.

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 12:15:39 PM »

Very Nice Dallas!  Excellent Story says Phil - LOL  Grin  Grin  Grin

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 05:57:01 AM »

Here is another thread - same subject brojcol   Grin  Unusual bus uses.

Hope this helps!  Phil
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 05:58:38 AM by plyonsMC9 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: