Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 09:11:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how do you keep the household type ref door closed for traval  (Read 2262 times)
crown

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »

pictures would be nice also how did you ancor it to bus thanks crown

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 06:03:35 PM »

I had a contingency plan to secure it shut but have never had to use it because it only came open one time and that was a VIOLENT left turn off the road into and out of the ditch.

The fridge is secured by screws (with washers ) through the adjusting feet at the front of the fridge and angle bracket attached to the wall and the top back of the cabinet --- I attached the brackets so they are below the fridge and the fridge slid under them and then a screw down through the top.

HTH

YMMV

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 06:06:10 PM »

enclosed between two walls...see west tenesse bus nut gathering I pulled foward..page 15 toward bottom..is a picture of refrige behind Judy sitting on couch...use simple hook and eye for travel..like on screen door....  before I did that had pickle jar fall out door on a sharp turn...was a mess and smell lasted awhile Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 06:31:50 PM »

I haven't yet.  This thread may give me some insight, I hope, and yes they do fly open sometimes, not fun.  So far it has been duct tape Roll Eyes, not very pretty.

David
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:47:15 PM by David Anderson » Logged
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 07:02:21 PM »

we have a dbl door with handles aside each other. I drilled a hole through both at eye level and inserted a " quick release" pin.  (The end has a little springy ball so it won't fall out)....we also use spring rods inside nice and tight.   The fridge is held by the 2 walls and at the top with wedges at the sides with blocks on top  all screwed to the sides  so no rocking is possable.   never moved in 5000 miles  I have seen it all in the boats, hooks,dead bolts, turny wood blocks,even fabric belly bands  often the latches are on the fronts but also on the tops from the doors to the fridge case or box ...Mostely depends on where you have some metal to metal....you might want to figure this out before you get this in your bus in case you need to drill into the top edges     

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
Taibob

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 08:08:37 PM »

Also have LG Brand household fridge/bottom freezer.
Secured top door with a spring pin that I drop in a hole.
I drilled a 1/4" hole through the top plastic [where the hinge for the door swap is]
Bottom freezer door stays closed on its own, as there is no weight on the door

taibob

84  mci 9   8v71n N70 Jakes 740 auto   Oliver, BC
crown

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 09:03:14 PM »

thanks for all the great post  still would like to see pictures of installs  thanks crown

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 09:50:23 PM »

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=13387.15

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 04:01:32 AM »

Since our bus is older (1948) we don't have the lubriciously smooth ride of air, I had to think long and hard because we use a house hold type electric refrigerator (2 door top and bottom) I laid the frig on it's back and found a place on the bottom to fasten metal brackets that stick out about  1 1/2" on each side. I then screwed those brackets down to the floor. As far as keeping the doors closed I went to Lowes and bought two straps that are designed to keep children out of cabinets. They stick to the frig (tightly) and then click in and click out when access is needed. it was a no brainer, and looks pretty inconspicuous.

Worked for us, for several years now. I also use spring rods for the ledges on the inside shelves. Remove them when we get to where ever there is.

Dave

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 04:20:35 AM »

dont no one use pics around here? lol, maybe it is a requirement tht if you have a house refer you cant use a camera?Huh?

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 04:57:42 AM »

OK Happycamperbrat, here's the picture of how I did it, hope it makes you happy. LOL.

This door will not come open. Even on severe right turns.

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 05:09:22 AM »

moocho butter!! tanks  Kiss some of us are imaginatively imparred

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 05:18:17 AM »

Anything I can do to help.

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 05:33:19 AM »

I used a nice stainless hook and eye I got from McMaster-Carr if memory serves.  I screwed it into the sides of the door and the fridge body.  The screws didn't stay very well so I used JB Weld.  No pics as I no longer have the fridge.

I just got a new fridge and I won't use anything with screws this time.  I've heard stories of folks who put a screw into a refrigerant line running near the front of the fridge.  I will probably use a surface mount strap used for child proofing.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 05:40:03 AM »

Here's a picture of what I used. One on top for the freezer and one on bottom for refrigerator section.

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 06:06:29 AM »

Here is what we used. Easy to see from the driver's seat before moving the bus. We attached them using Goop adhesive to insure that we did not cut the wires in the door that are part of the anti-condensation circuit (installed in some refrigerators). We purchased the hooks at West Marine.

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 06:10:17 AM »

We just saw one of those antique fridges in a small museum yesterday. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 06:19:06 AM »

we also have a dbl hung window type latch on our curved shower door (installed by the previous owner after an expensive lession). we have locking pins through the  alum.edges of our sliding glass mirror doors,    basically latches or hooks  on every door  or slider..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:07:18 AM by steve wardwell » Logged

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
Damn Yankee

Bob Shafer 1965 Mci-5A-6029 8v71 auto

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 06:27:49 AM »

Check the child proof locks section at your local walmart or a hardware store. That's where I found what I used on my fridge. Here is a link showing some choices..... http://www.epinions.com/t-child-proof-refrigerator-lock  Easy to install, no drilling, and works great.

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 07:01:56 AM »

Here is what we use on our shower door. 

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
cody

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 07:10:42 AM »

We use a simple keeper from a wrecked trailer we found at a junk yard, it's simular to what camping world sells but much older and sturdier      http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/no-mold-refrigerator-door-holder/28735      ours mounts between the upper door and lower door and swings out of the way for use and swings back between the doors and holds them closed on the road.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:13:08 AM by cody » Logged
txjeff

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 10:20:36 AM »

I just put some velcro with the adhesive backing on the door and side, works like the hooks but no drilling simple and effective.........

jeff

73 MC-7combo
Brenham, Texas
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 01:27:14 PM »

We used the same thing Dave used in his pics. New bus has a big fridge with bottom sliding drawer. Havent got to the point yet to figure out what we will do to keep it closed.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: