Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 03:47:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picking up my bus today and am happy and not so happy...  (Read 1460 times)
Tully Lee

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2010, 05:01:53 PM »

My Provost is a  1990.  I have a local body shop (who does very fine work) wet sand the paint and basically freshen up the paint.  They polished the stainless and repaired my back bumper extention that I pushed in from kissing a light pole two weeks ago.

So, I go pickup the bus.  Paint look much fresher.  Stainless looks clean and crisp.  Back bumper.  Well that is a story.  Prevost sends part. Body shop says will not fit.  Radius on curve is not correct.  Appears good old Country Coach did some modifications.  Body shop had the grind and polish this part which was a lot of labor.  Turned out great.

So, I get in the bus to fire it up.  click click click click.  Batteries are dead!  I neglected to turn off the 12 and 24 volt switches. After 8 days in the shop with them on and the bus not hooked up to power the batteries were dead.  Four batteries run in series.  24 volts.  So the put two charges on and try to boost.  No real improvement.  So we have decided to slow charge the batteries through the night and give it a try around 1:00 P.M. on Friday. 

Man I was really looking forward to getting the bus home.  Have a gig with it on Saturday to pickup
Survivor (the band) for a show.

That should be sufficient time to charge the batteries?  12-14 hours slow charge?

Once I get the bus on Friday (provided we get it started) I will post some pictures for all.
Was real impressed.  They touched up a few areas, polished the rims like a mirror.  Only so
much you can do with a 20 year old paint and stainless.  I would say a 70% improvement at least.

Tully
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:40:23 PM »

I would hope that overnight charge should do it. You should be fine if the batteries were all in good shape. check the water levels. Do you get to frisk the groupies?

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:12:44 PM »

A "real" tow truck will be able to jump start you bus and that hi capacity alternator of yours should have them charged as much as they are going to go in short order.  Have your bats tested. Your "road service insurance" will cover this.  If you don't have road service then reflect on your current situation and the fact that the insurance is CHEAP.  A tow will cost you a fortune.  Insurance also covers coming out and changing a tire or delivering fuel or replacing a filter or getting the engine primed or?Huh?  If you don't have insurance DO NOT admit that to this group.  Just nod your head and mumble something as you walkaway and after you get out of sight RUN LIKE HECK and get some.  Just kidding now....maybe.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 05:14:49 AM »

Since the bus is in a shop and secure.  They put two battery chargers on the batteries on slow charge.  I will give a shot out to the shop at noon and tell them to try and start the bus.  If she fires up, I will tell them to keep the bus running for a while to help charge them up.

The batteries are only two years old.  So, I hope she just fires up.

I do have the insurance but would prefer not to turn in a claim just yet
as the bus is not on the side of the road in the middle of now where but
in a secured facility.

Will keep ya updated.

Tully Lee
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 06:45:09 AM »

What I didn't make clear was that the insurance would come out and jump start your bus and then you could charge the bats with the alt.  I also think tat having the insurance would give you confidence that you could get started again on the road if need be.

So the put two charges on and try to boost.  No real improvement. give it a try  (provided we get it started) 

Sounds like you have your doubts. That's why I suggested insurance.  Glad you have it.

The batteries are only two years old.

That is no insurance.  I have ruined a complete set in 3 months with a malfunctioning charger.  Not to get all gloomy.  LOL.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 06:59:24 AM »

Roadside incident insurance, aka Coachnet, who come and give you boost starts, tow you to a repair place, change your flat tire, not insurance who insure against accidents, personal liability, damage to property, etc.

I wouldn't leave home without Coachnet!  Plus you get them for your bus, and they cover all of your personal family vehicles for the same price.  Deal, as far as I'm concerned.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 07:39:47 AM »

Well after all night on slow charge, same thing- click click click.
I'm not certain the shop people understand 12volt / 24 volt- series or parallel...
They went next door to get a 24 volt charge and they are going to try that option.

If no go, I have a tow service who does Jump Starts for big rigs...  They
will be my last resort early this afternoon.  Not cheap- jump is $125.OO
which is the cheapest I could find.

Gotta get this bus running today..... fingers crossed....

Tully Lee
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 07:50:33 AM »

You best get it figured out what needs to happen and TELL those dolts what to do.

Welcome to the rest of your busnut life, others have pretty much no clue about a coach and you get to finance their education while they wreck your stuff.

Harumph...

Each battery gets a 12 volt charger connected to it, like the other one isn't there. ignore all the wires, just put positive and negative leads on the corresponding battery posts. One at a time with one charger, if that's all you have. Otherwise, connect up two and get on with it.

What parasites are draining your batteries? Best get that sorted out at before you buy new batteries.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 08:05:40 AM »

Tully I still have the cleckos that I purchased specificy for your bus when you told me you wanted your dented front radius repaired.

I will use them on the next similar project that comes along.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 09:56:44 AM »

Joe, if I can scrape some $ together I will want to finally get that front stainless taken care of as well....

Give me  a little more time>  Maybe in the Fall.

How is your bus interior coming along?

Tully
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 10:00:09 AM »

24 volt charger jumped her off just fine...

Now running

Tully
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 10:39:14 AM »

So with a accurate digital volt meter....what is the charge voltage after they are fully charged?  After charging, let them sit and share with the board what voltage level the bats are maintaining.  Your bats need "equalized" periodically and you alternator won't do that.  You need a high quality/capacity charger with the equalize feature and 140 amp charge rate.  You NEED  an inverter with a 2.5 or 3.0 KW capacity that handles those loads.  Just price a smart charger that puts out 150 amps for a shock as they cost only slightly less than a inverter.  Sine wave if you can swing it.

I prattle on,  Sorry!

John

—Pla
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: