Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 09:10:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone want to caravan to Alaska next year sometime?  (Read 3390 times)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2010, 11:21:38 PM »

someone in the other forum suggested it and I think it would be a blast!!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 07:45:02 PM »

I'm making plans to go up for the whole summer, but not sure if it will be 2011 or 2012.  Will probably go up in April or May and come back in Sept or Oct.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 07:22:40 AM »

It would be a blast! Bad thing is, I am neither retired nor independantly wealthy.  Grin Grin Grin
I do hope to someday soon winter in AZ. or the south, but that's the opposite end of the spectrum. If you do go, have fun for me! Wink
Chaz

p.s. OH!! a couple years ago I went to a ralley in Cincinnati at the FMCA Post Office and there was a guy there that did/organized trips there. I don't recall who he was but that might be an option.

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 09:33:34 AM »

I sure do want to but I can't just yet.  Have fun!!!!

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »

Im not wealthy lol But I have to manage my money, which means I dont feed my kids haha  Cheesy Oh gawd!!! Here come the attorneys and child welfare........ I didnt mean it  Shocked

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 05:00:46 PM »

Im not wealthy lol But I have to manage my money, which means I dont feed my kids haha  Cheesy Oh gawd!!! Here come the attorneys and child welfare........ I didnt mean it  Shocked

You do realize as of today that the Board can print anything you say here. I sure would hate to see this printed on the front page of your local Newspaper... Grin   But I think you have 24 hours to take it back..lol

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
pete36330

my mc9 ,,gonna finish it one day ,,

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 06:39:56 PM »

Hi,,we're planning on a trip to Alaska next may/jun ,would love to go in a caravan ..and meet some new folks,,,working on our mc9 now hoping to get it ready..lets us know when you get more information and trip plans ,,we are in enterprise ,,south east Alabama ,,pete and polly mittelbach,,our email is kmittelbach@centurytel.net
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 08:43:05 AM »

I like this thread more and more all the time. I think it's just so cool for people from all over to be able to hook up on a large topic, such as bus's, as well as smaller side topics like going to Alaska together.

Not that I want to tell you what to do, Camperbrat, but, every so often you should bump this back to the top for people who might not see it the first go'round. I know threads get older and get sent down the line, but how cool would it be to get a bunch of busnut's to do a trip like that. Absolutely awesome!

I hope it materialize's and you keep us abreast of it. I'll certainly be watching and dreaming.
  Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 11:15:46 AM »

Quote from: jlink
You do realize as of today that the Board can print anything you say here. I sure would hate to see this printed on the front page of your local Newspaper... Grin   But I think you have 24 hours to take it back..lol

Or OMG the front page of BCM! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Sounds cool let me know if you get a bunch of busless people who want to go and I'll set up a trip with hotels and meals on a charter bus! Wink

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 07:26:07 PM »

Okay, it is bumped lol

Merlin-PV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 09:10:21 AM »

When we leavin!!!
bcaddel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 09:27:03 AM »

Happycamperbrat
I am sure most everyone has thought about taking their bus to Alaska as have my wife and I. We were planning on doing it in a couple of years but next year could work out for us, especially if several folks got together and caravaned. How long of a trip were you thinking about taking. I have heard that 30 days is not long enough and we should plan for a 6 to 8 week trip at a minimum. I am still working but luckily for me I am at the top of the food chain here and might could get that kind of time off if the economy has started turning around by next summer.

Back in the 70's I made a living out of purchasing small super cub airplanes and modifying them into bush planes and flying them up to Alaska to sale, usually Fairbanks. I flew pretty low and the roads looked pretty rough back then but I am thinking they must have been improved quite a bit since I saw them last. I have read of several people taking their RV's to Alaska so I am sure our bus could make without too much wear and tear.

Keep us posted

Bob & Pearl
Reno Nevada.

Bob Caddel, Las Vegas Nevada
1971 MC7, 8V71, Allison MT654
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 09:46:22 AM »

Happycamperbrat
I am sure most everyone has thought about taking their bus to Alaska as have my wife and I. We were planning on doing it in a couple of years but next year could work out for us, especially if several folks got together and caravaned. How long of a trip were you thinking about taking. I have heard that 30 days is not long enough and we should plan for a 6 to 8 week trip at a minimum. I am still working but luckily for me I am at the top of the food chain here and might could get that kind of time off if the economy has started turning around by next summer.

Back in the 70's I made a living out of purchasing small super cub airplanes and modifying them into bush planes and flying them up to Alaska to sale, usually Fairbanks. I flew pretty low and the roads looked pretty rough back then but I am thinking they must have been improved quite a bit since I saw them last. I have read of several people taking their RV's to Alaska so I am sure our bus could make without too much wear and tear.

Keep us posted

Bob & Pearl
Reno Nevada.

We did the trip in 2005. I do not recommend driving up unless you have a minimum of 6 weeks to spend. Yes, you could do it in less time, but it's just not worth the rushing required.
Take your time and enjoy the ride. We made a goal of not traveling more than 300 miles in one day, and except for one day, we met that goal. I planned on 2 weeks up, 2 weeks there,
and 2 weeks back. We extended the "there" time a bit due to a mechanical problem with the bus, and shortened the "back" time a bit to compensate. 9400 miles round trip from MN. We
saw everything we wanted to and did pretty much everything we planned, plus a lot of spontaneous stuff.

The roads were really quite good. The Alcan highway was, for the most part, all paved, except where they were working on it. There were 3 sections on the Cassair that were not
paved at that time, but they were working on them, so they may be paved now. The Top Of the World highway was dusty gravel, but good road and well graded. Dalton Highway (haul road)
was partially paved; the unpaved sections were pretty rough. We took the bus to the Yukon River crossing and then took the car to the Arctic Circle. I would not take the bus up there again,
unless I were going farther north. Otherwise, I'd do a day trip to the Arctic Circle from Fairbanks.

Many of the highways in AK, especially between Tok and Palmer, have frost heaves which can be severe, but not too bad in a bus if you watch for them and slow down. They were harder on
my Father-In-Law's pickup and trailer than they were on my bus, due to the longer wheel base of the bus.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 11:13:52 AM »

This is "The Guy" who started it. He is the one who first suggested it http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/11/38372.html?1281902181 My thoughts on it are that the caravan could start with people in the eastern states of America and they caravan across the United State with various points (maybe bus nut's places, or certain truck stops, rest stops, etc that were predetermined with dates and aprox times). Anyone wanting to join the caravan (even for a day or so and not go all the way into Alaska could). The preplanned stops with dates and times would be posted here and on the BNO board in a special thread. The United States part of the caravan would end somewhere in the pacific northwest to cross over into Canada. We could also have predetermined stops in Canada and hopefully see some of our Canadian fellow bus nuts as we cruise up into Alaska. June or July or August seems to be the best time to be in Alaska because of temps.

These are just thoughts off the top of my head. Anyone and everyone please chime in.

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 12:30:37 PM »

When I go up the next time, I'll be leaving probably in May. Will probably take a route up into Canada to Winnipeg and across the trans-Canada highway. I have bus friends along that route near Winnipeg and in Edmonton that I will be stopping to see.

Last time, we crossed into Canada just west of Kalispell MT and went up through Radium Hot Springs and back over to Banff NP and up to Jasper. Then we backtracked to Edmonton to see my friends.
That's a nice way to go, too. There's some beautiful scenery there, and the Columbia Icefields are fun to take a tour on. 

I will probably stay in AK all summer and return in late Sept or early Oct.

The caravan through Canada would be fun, but once in AK, it might be best for people to go their own separate ways and then meet up at a prescribed place and time for the return trip back to the lower 48.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 12:55:59 PM »

The caravan through Canada would be fun, but once in AK, it might be best for people to go their own separate ways and then meet up at a prescribed place and time for the return trip back to the lower 48.

craig

I completely agree. I think that should probably be the theme for the entire trip. Just having predertermined times and dates and places for the caravan. But of course, for the entire trip if anyone wants to go their separate ways they could.... lol it is vacation and fun time and for everyone that might mean something different such as some might want to spend the night at a campground and others might prefer a rest stop.

jhuddleston

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 08:49:56 PM »

I'm interested, I have been wanting to go back since I left in 1968.
I working on finishing my eagle by next year. I know a few people who have done the trip. Should be fun!
Jim
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 09:01:14 PM »

Would summer of 2012 work for everyone that wants to go?

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 06:27:55 AM »

Would summer of 2012 work for everyone that wants to go?

Wink
Probably not EVERYONE! But that is what makes the world go 'round!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: