Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 09:13:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wireshark infection!  (Read 1075 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2010, 05:40:36 PM »

Just to pass it on Wireshark antivirus has gotten thru McAfee and has taken over my computer...I can work around it but is a pain.I have contacted McAfee and it is still there.After research it is a fraud..wanting money credit card # etc....Anyone else??how did you get rid of it??This board and E-Bay motors are the only places I visit..also bno..Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 06:12:27 PM »

Bob

Had that and another one plus a Trojan yesterday and downloaded "Spy Doctor " free version and it got them all done. I forgot to put it back in my system after I cleaned it and re formatted but it is back in now. I have used it fora number of years and always seems to get them before they hit.
Dave

Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 06:21:59 PM »

Reformating does not work on these, they hide from such things, I payed the local computer guru $90.00 to get rid of mine.  Paying the scammers their $29.00 blood money only temporarily gets rid of it and then they want more money.
Ray D

I tried spy doctor and could not get it out with it.  it might be successful with some.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 06:23:59 PM by Ray D » Logged
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 06:35:35 PM »

Last year I finally got enough sense to go back to a Mac. I went from PC to Mac then back to a PC and finally to Mac and never look back! Should have learned my lesson the first time. Every time my PC stumbled I turned on my old G3 PowerMac and it just never failed me. I now use an iMac and smile every time I use it. The PC is still there to remind me how much better the Mac is. No Trojans, viruses, Windows registry rot to deal with.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 06:46:36 PM »

I am pleased with using Firefox for the browser and AVG for the bugs.

5 people using this machine all over the place.

Good for long time.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 07:18:56 PM »

thanks for info..will turn kids loose on it and let them read this response...Bob the computer dumb------s

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 07:43:01 PM »

Bob,

First off, you did not get this here.

Second, I use Wireshark (the real one, not the fake Antivirus malware that you got), and the real company that makes the real Wireshark has put up a page about the fake malware, here:

https://www.wireshark.org/news/20100804.html

Scroll down to the second paragraph where it says "If you are infected" and there are links there to four different legitimate sites that will tell you how to get rid of this.

AVG will not help now that you already have it.  However, once you get rid of this, you should install good antivirus and firewall software.  I recommend AVG Free 9.0 for antivirus and Comodo Free for firewall.  Turn off the link scanners on both and select only Firewall when you install Comodo.

Also, run Windows Update and download and install all critical patches.  You will need to get rid of the malware first, as it will block access to the updates.

HTH,

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:31:28 AM by Sean » Logged

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 06:33:27 AM »

I had to many things infecting my pc from time to time and getting by various antivirus programs (Noten and McAffe). I went to this and have not had any problems since.      http://www.secureitdirect.com/     The last time I took my pc in to remove some junk they recommended this. They can remove most stuff over the net and if not will pay so much to have it physically repaired.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: