Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 05:43:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zeroclearance question turbo drain back  (Read 789 times)
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2010, 08:04:09 PM »

Mr. Clearance,
 I think, I remember reading that the turbo drain back should be above the oil level. Is that true? If so does it have to be that way or is it just better?

Thanks,
Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:45:04 PM »

Ken;

The drain has to be "free-flow" into the oil pan above the oil level in the pan. 

If you don't have a free return the oil will back up into the bearing housing.   You will have a "hydraulic" condition preventing fresh oil from the inlet supply line.   The turbocharger will be lacking oil for lubrication and cooling.   You will burn up your bearings and turbine shaft.

The most common turbo failure is from FOD damage, the next comes from a worn engine.   High crankcase pressure from worn rings will give us the oil restriction mentioned above.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 06:50:56 AM »

Zero hit it on the nose..on our drag engines with twin turbo I tried to locate to low and was not good..Common sense failed due to a brain fart...keep return line as large and straight as possible with no chance to kink...60 series in prevo yet? Mine on stand in shop with Eaton attached-all preped and ready to install..  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 07:36:55 AM »

Thanks for the replies. It was not what I wanted to hear but it's what I thought was the correct answer. If I could switch sides for the drain back on this Series 50 engine swap I'm doing the installation would be a little cleaner. So far I don't see any place on the intake side of the block with a fitting or plate that can I use for drain back. The oil fill tube is on that side and it's about 1 1/2" diameter.  Do you think if I tee into it a few inches above the oil level that would work? Robert I have not touched my bus. I still have a few weeks left on this Silversides repower. 

Thanks,
Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 08:30:41 AM »

Ken, on the 8v92 and 6v92 on a front mounted turbo they came from DD tied into fill tube never been a problem with those for 40 years the top mounted drains through the blower with 1/2 inch holes

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: