Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 08:35:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback from old board post  (Read 848 times)
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2006, 06:02:56 PM »

before the board was upgraded to this fancy-shmancy Cheesy board.  I had asked a question about getting smoke when flipping on the Jake brake or givener pedal while the jake was on and getting a puff of white smoke.  I had many wonderful replies from the greats, I believe Luke even responded,  recommended running the rack if I remember correctly.

I drove over the same mountain so I have a chance to share an update.  It didn't smoke this time.

here is the difference:
- warmer outside, 70's and misty, around 30 last time
- At some point I remember to get additive when I filledup.  I had been out for a little while on my old f250,  I run alittle tran fluid mixed in and it keeps it running smoother and smoking less.  so i bought some lucas because thats what they had and put it in(no trannyfluid because of the dye).  I probably still need to run the rack and I am not making any suggestions or rebuttals. 

I'm just sharing what I did and the response i had by doing what i would have done anyway.  YMMV (we need a smilycon for this)

I learned where the valves are and may run the rack in the fall when I can set aside time and partly because I want Undecided

gotta love the bus Wink

Cool

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 07:52:23 PM »

Came back over the hill again, seemed to use less fuel too,  I watched for smoke and took it easy on the big hills as usuual.  another note that has changed is that the place I get fuel has Biodiesel now,  It doesn't say B20 some I"m not sure if thre is a mix.  He is $.14/gal cheaper than the station across the street.

Do ya"ll run fuel additive?  if so what's your practice? are there nay sayers?

Just interested. Huh

Cool

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 08:34:37 PM »

Hi there NewbeeMC9,

I've never run an additive.  I seem to remember some folks with a lot more knowledge on the subject detailing why you should not run an additive.  Also, I believe in some of the docs from Detroit Diesel that fuel additives were declared not a good idea.  And in fact, may void warranties.  Of course, with my old 6v92, that is NOT an issue.   Cheesy  At the same time, if the engineers at DD thought they were a bad idea, that is good enuogh for me. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Hope this helps, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: