Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 05:26:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8v71 vs 8v92  (Read 4133 times)
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2006, 06:17:58 PM »

Couple of questions regarding Detroits.  A bus I'm currently considering has an 8V92 turbo.  How will the fuel mileage compare to the 6 mph I understand I can expect from an 8V71?  Also, the bus, an MC9, was ordered new with the 8V92.  Can I assume it will be equipped with the bigger radiators?  Thanks!
Dennis
Hi Yo Silver! 

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
JerryH

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 06:39:56 PM »

Dennis:

We have an MCI w/ an 8V71.  We avg. 6.5 MPG.  I know some nuts with 8V92T in their coaches who tell me they get 5.5 to 6 doing 70 MPH.  So, not too bad in comparison.  So for me ... our average trip to FL from PA would represent a difference of about 19 gallons of diesel or about $55.00.  But there quicker with no issues of power.  Ok, actually the PA to FL trip is a bad example as there aren't enough hills to make a real difference.  The PA to Nova Scotia trip with the numerous hills would be a better comparison.

Jerry H.
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 09:18:36 PM »

Hey Dennis,  How many more years are you gonna' consdider a bus. You ever thought about gettin off that wallet and becoming a proud owner Grin Charlie B.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 09:37:00 PM »

Like driving all Diesels, it depends on how much lead you have in your shoes.  Drive behind a 8V-71N and duplicate the performance, you should actually get better fuel mileage with the turbo and aftercooler.  But pound that 8V-92TA with your foot in it and you'll get much less fuel mileage.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 05:57:06 AM »

If fuel mileage is a MAJOR concern, don't get a bus.  I assure you, buying the fuel for it will be the least of your worries. Shocked

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 07:18:52 PM »

Brojcol,
Nah, fuel mileage is not a major concern, just didn't want to trust my assumption that there was no MAJOR difference in the two engines.  I'm sure you're right, if that is a primary consideration, then don't buy a bus.  Hey, I've been looking for the right bus for about 5 or 6 years now.  Not in a hurry, want to find what I want at the right price, that's all.  When you have had a dream for this long, you don't let a few bucks in fuel cost stop you.  I just figure I can't go quite as often or far as I could otherwise.
Charlie, I'm grinnin'.  Thanks for the encouragement.
Dennis
Hi Yo Silver!

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 07:55:22 PM »

"Encouragement" is over! Hammer on an 8V92 and 4 MPG isn't unheard of. You play, you pay. Wink
As already has been described...once you buy a coach, fuel will be the least of your worries.
If I were looking at an 8V92 powered 9, operating the coach at highway speed long enough (on a hot day) to verify no heating issues would be mandatory...and you're running out of time. Better go for a ride!
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 02:28:14 PM »

We have an '81 Prevost that was repowered with an 8-92 & a 10 spd Roadranger.  For the first 40,000 km that we owned it I ran with the big dogs - paid no attention to speed - whatever the traffic was running I was there.  I kept track of absolutely every drop of fuel that went into it.  Including Proheat & gennie use we got 6.2 MPG (to a real Canuck gallon - not that wimpyass Yankee gallon).  Then I spent a couple of trips testing to see what that was costing me by deliberately running at 55 MPH and no more than 55.  I got as high as 9 MPG doing that.  Now I know what it costs & I govern myself accordingly.  I know I can get there in a hurry but I know what it will save me if I don't.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 06:52:53 PM »

I hear ya, JR.  The nut from the north makes a good point, too.  Thanks for the responses, guys.
I'm getting a little antsy, now to find a bus.  I don't worry so much about price as I do about availability, if some person (who shall remain unnamed in the interest of political correctness) does something stupid to a pipeline or oil tanker.
Dennis
Hi Yo Silver!

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 08:13:30 PM »

The nut from the north has a manual tranny...EH? There's a couple extra MPGs. Wink
Buy the MC9 with the 8V82, You'll love it. I'd rather put fuel into something that will go with the big dogs than have a frugal land slug!
Be a cool bus!
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 06:57:32 AM »

Also, the bus, an MC9, was ordered new with the 8V92.  Can I assume it will be equipped with the bigger radiators? 

Easiest way to tell if it's a factory 8V92 installation is to look at the squirrel cages thru the regular engine compartment doors - especially if you've got another MC-9 close by to compare.  The OEM squirrels protrude down into the engine compartment about 3" - 4", and the sheet metal cutouts for them on the blower compartment floor will be nice and clean.  If it's a retrofit, and someone's installed the bigger blowers, more than likely they will have used a nibbler or similar tool to enlarge the blower compartment, and the cuts will not be as clean.  The OEM 8v71 and 6V92 squirrels are, for the most part, flush with the bottom of the blower compartment, btw.

Using a quarter, you can also pop open the radiator compartments and actually see the thicker radiators.  While you've got the doors open, look at the seals to determine their condition - they're a critical component.

5 - 6.5 mpg is typical of MC-9s, regardless of powerplant.  Be conservative, figure 5 mpg for calculating fuel stops.  125 useable out of 144 (150 useable out of 178 if it has the aux tank in the front baggage bay) will keep you from having to reprime by the roadside.

HTH. . .

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 07:38:17 AM »

Hey JR,

The nut from the north has a manual tranny...EH?  There's a couple extra MPGs.
Buy the MC9 with the 8V82,  You'll love it. I'd rather put fuel into something that will go with the big dogs than have a frugal land slug!
Be a cool bus

I had an 8V-71 in my 4107, it ran like a spotted ape.  I left truckers on hills eating my dust.  However, my 07 was a 35 footer.

Now there's an idea...why not look for a 35 footer instead of a 40.  You probably wouldn't miss the extra 5 foot, but you'd probably save more on fuel.  I may be assuming here, but it seems that a 35' would get better gas mileage...you know like a civic gets better gas mileage than a deuce and a quarter.

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 07:55:01 AM »

Thanks all, for the information and advice.  By the way, when I said I was more concerned about availability than price, I was referring to fuel, not buses!
Dennis
Hi Yo Silver!

glang

1998 Prevost XLT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 03:00:01 PM »

I get 6 miles per Gallon on average ,8V92 TA,80 Prevost, towing a 25Ft trailer, peddle to the metal. Great to have the Power.
Also running a 13K gen and Proheat Furnace from main tank. I tried running slower,didn't see any difference except I was bored to tears..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: