Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 10:39:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She blew up today  (Read 5562 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 02:52:50 PM »

That engine spun a bearing folks buying a bus with a 2 stroke would be money ahead to spend the 1000 bucks having new bearings rolled in or at the least checked, that is the very first things to do no one ever pays any attention to the 100,000 mile bearing service on those engines

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Wax-um

1982 MCI Conversion project

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »

Im afraid the previous post is probably correct. This fluid on the ground was definatly coming from the dripper tubes.
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 03:55:32 PM »

Check with Geoff in Prescott Valley, AZ phone number is 1-928-771-0045 or 1-928-553-4714 he know what he is doing.
ED

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 04:27:16 PM »

Call Howard or Jim @
American Fleet Services
2441 E. Jean St, Springfield, MO 65803
Toll Free:    (877)865-4420
Fax:    (417)831-0801

http://www.americanfleetinc.com/index.php

Tell them Bryce from KY Lakeside Travel told you to call them! We have bought one of their remanufactured  engines and a bus that they had for sale after the owner couldn't pay them for work he gave them the bus & title. Both ran like a dream! I was turned on to them by a friend who has bought many engines from them! (he has more buses and deeper pockets than I do!)
Very good people to work with!
(I have no vested interest in them nor do I stand to gain from sending you there!)

Also as mention there are take outs available.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »

Bad news indeed. I feel sorry for you. Without a doubt we will be following this thread and you will get some great info and advise.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Wax-um

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 05:17:56 PM »

HaHa I still have my spirit. Since bus is down and in the shop I have learned a ton. I spent all day reading manuals. Lets see what the shop says. then Ill make a decision on what happens next. I believe if Im going to be driving an old bus I better be willing to work on it. I smell a diesel engine being rebuilt by myself very soon HaHa.
And i was so close to having the inside done. Maybe owning two old buses wouldnt be a bad thing. Always have a spare on hand. Its still cheaper than owning a factory new RV
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 08:16:54 PM »

Might wanna get a hold of Larry & Cristy Hicks they live in the OKC (somewhere around Mustang or Elreno if I remember correctly!) area and have several buses for sale!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 08:55:56 AM »

Any more news?

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
smokedetector

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 11:31:47 AM »

BK, where you or one of your buses at the Kentucky welcome center yesterday? I would have stopped but I had passed before I noticed it and I was trying to get as far away from Ohio as possible.

Jon Morgan
Athens, GA
Wax-um

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 11:37:38 AM »

Update. Local shop is dropping oil pan to inspect for metal. If no metal in lower end and engine is rebuildable than the bus is getting towed to Springfield for in frame rebuild at www.americanfleetinc.com for 6995.00 plus 1300 towing. Ouch this hurts the olbudget but she will be rebuilt with a 1 year or 100000 mile warrenty with reciepts to prove it. Ill have bus back on the 27th.
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 11:48:55 AM »

I am wanting some more info here.Now what exactly happend? were you driving and the engine really came to a dead stop or did it just die? How did the shop get it going. I would hate to think your batteries are dead from alt or something and they are taking you for a ride. Dropping the pan looking for metal seems extreme to me. Drain the oil and have it tested for $25 and run a sponge on a wire up through the drain hole. You will find metal if it is there. I just don't think need to pay for major surgery Just yet looking for metal.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »

30 minutes to drop the pan and pull a bearing cap he is on the right track,fwiw a if 92 series even gets
 a whiff of antifreeze in the oil 90% of the time it will spin a bearing LOL hope for him it is not a main bearing if one spun very expensive to repair a spun main bearing on a engine

good luck
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:01:50 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 11:59:04 AM »

This is the news I was kinda hoping for!  Your conversion is almost finished, this is going to hurt a bit but at the end of it you will have the legendary "rebuilt engine"!  Just right for starting a new chapter in your book.  I will have my fingers crossed this works out well for you. I guess I mean that if your engine is going to break, may as well break at home and be able to rebuild it, and start new again!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Wax-um

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 12:32:22 PM »

Well, Long story with bus. Its an 82 with DL3 body kit. I bought bus for 6000.00 two months ago knowing it had an internal oil leak. Myself and the mechanics believe the leak was from the blower. I called and priced a new blower and it was 800.00 I never took it any futher than that. I was more worried about finishing the inside of the bus I neglected the mechanics of the bus. I literally worked my butt off on the inside of the bus over the last two months. The inside is almost completed. I had the front windshield removed and was driving it less than a mile to pickup and brand new stainless side by side fridge with ice maker and water. HaHa. Big time huh. Anyways. The engine shut off at a stop light so I restarted it. Once I restarted it was fouling out so I revved her up and she cleared out. I made it another block and she shut down and the key wouldnt even click the motor.
I have been talking to a very close friend at Competition Cylinder Head in Mobile Alabama. He builds alot of these engines for off shore boats. He saids that turbo leaking by will suck the oil right out of that crankcase. Well anyways she was very low on oil never appereared to be hot and antifreeze was on the ground coming from the drippers. Sounds to me like a need a new top end and bottom eend haha. No other way around it other than planting a money tree.
Should know more about lower end tommorow when mechanics pull pan. Im assuming the fouling was probabbly from the antifreeze in a few cylinders.
Lesson learned dont neglect the mechanics to install a stainless fridge or granite countertops.
But all in all I think Im ok, 6k for bus 7k for rebuild. 13k for a zero mile coach. now braks and suspension. hehe. and ohh ya generator and one more roof air.
I should probabbly upgrade motor while Im here but Im ok with a slow 6v Ill just leave early.
As long as she makes it to where Imgoing.
Ohh ya Im considering full timing very soon. I have a storage lot and all I pay is the electric meter. Life doesnt get much simplier than thatt
Wax-um

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 12:43:32 PM »

FYI Bob. my big azzz sleeper sofa needs a big azzz slide. Wow dont ever put in a full size couch on a non slide bus. Big mistake. but very comfortable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: