Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 02:19:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She blew up today  (Read 5560 times)
Wax-um

1982 MCI Conversion project

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2010, 12:59:01 PM »

Call Howard or Jim @
American Fleet Services
2441 E. Jean St, Springfield, MO 65803
Toll Free:    (877)865-4420
Fax:    (417)831-0801

http://www.americanfleetinc.com/index.php

Tell them Bryce from KY Lakeside Travel told you to call them! We have bought one of their remanufactured  engines and a bus that they had for sale after the owner couldn't pay them for work he gave them the bus & title. Both ran like a dream! I was turned on to them by a friend who has bought many engines from them! (he has more buses and deeper pockets than I do!)
Very good people to work with!
(I have no vested interest in them nor do I stand to gain from sending you there!)

Also as mention there are take outs available.
Grin  BK  Grin

Hey BK, just noticed your from Hunington. Wow my parents live in Camden You may even know them. They Own Johnsons repair shop.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:01:14 PM by Wax-um » Logged
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 01:03:07 PM »

Wax-um,
I told you American Fleet was good people! And don't be fooled into thinking that just because you only have a 6V92 it has to be slow! Both of the ones we got from them ran great! (I even had an experienced driver call me a liar and try to tell me the bus I'd just bought from them the day before "HAD TO HAVE AN 8V92, BECAUSE 6V's DON'T GAIN SPEED ON A HILL!" LOL! & I have to admit it was by far the STRONGEST running 6V92 I ever experienced in a 40' MCI!)

By the way even if it has some serious damage I believe they will still work with you and make you a deal that you both can live with! (they have with other people I know!)

Did you tell Howard I told you to call? (he didn't have too many bad things to say about me did he? Huh)
Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:10:15 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2010, 01:09:55 PM »

Quote from: Wax-um
Hey BK, just noticed your from Hunington. Wow my parents live in Camden You may even know them. They Own Johnsons repair shop.

James is it ? That is too funny we were both typing at the same time! LOL!
Yes we are located just as you come into Huntingdon from Camden on US 70 on the left right beside the drive for the HS, Fair grounds and NG Armory!

Unfortunately, no I can't say I know them. We haven't been here long we just moved here in April. Would like to know more about them, what kind of repairs do they do?
I do know a guy who works at a small engine repair shop in Camden, but don't know the name of it.   
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2010, 12:03:19 PM »

Call Howard or Jim Bob @
American Fleet Services
2441 E. Jean St, Springfield, MO 65803
Toll Free:    (877)865-4420
Fax:    (417)831-0801

http://www.americanfleetinc.com/index.php

Tell them Bryce from KY Lakeside Travel told you to call them! We have bought one of their remanufactured  engines and a bus that they had for sale after the owner couldn't pay them for work he gave them the bus & title. Both ran like a dream! I was turned on to them by a friend who has bought many engines from them! (he has more buses and deeper pockets than I do!)
Very good people to work with!
(I have no vested interest in them nor do I stand to gain from sending you there!)

Also as mention there are take outs available.
Grin  BK  Grin

In this previous response I incorrectly said Jim instead of Bob, bob & his son own American Fleet Services.

Again I have no affiliation with them nor do I stand to gain financially from telling folks about them.
They are just good folks to deal with!
Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:05:14 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

www.kylakesidetravel.net

RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 01:17:30 PM »

I don't know if you saw this on ebay or not:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DETROIT-DIESEL-ENGINE-6V92-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ260652102298QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I have no affiliation with the seller

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Wax-um

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 04:36:47 PM »

Continued to this page.

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=17120.0

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »

Up date--talked to Waxum (Jim) he is in Springfield Mo. waiting to pick up his Inframe with two new heads..He said post and he will update later...was bad but could have been much worse..he rode over with wrecker driver and is staying in a motel..maybe visit tbn in future..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2010, 11:10:08 PM »

Im goin on a limb to say new rebuilt motor is more than the bus is worth.

What stage are you in your conversion?  If you haven't gotten too deep, I would find another coach -- there are plenty of them on the market for less than the price of a major overhaul.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2010, 11:21:34 PM »

Anyone else who gets into this situation, look for a good used semi -- a lot of good ones are on the market cheap after they hit 4 - 6 years. 

Truck companies like to have owner-operators over the payment barrel, so the value of them plummets once they are old enough to be paid off.

I have seen tractors with Cat C-12s less than 500,000 miles sell for under $4,000 (yes, that's FOUR THOUSAND dollars), and the market is even worse today than it was 5 years ago.  It would probably be possible to find one with a Series 50 or 60 in the under $10K range.
Wax-um

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2010, 12:47:48 AM »

Yahoo. Im home. Yes as Bob said, she was in bad shape. It had two cracked heads, blown head gasket broken rocker arm, and one bad injector. The lower end was good but he said their wasnt too many miles left on the mains.The total was was 6,995 for an inframe rebuild. Plus 1,300 for the tow. I know I could have bought another bus with a worn out engine but this way I know what I have and the engine comes with a 100,000 mile warrrenty. First I want to really really thank Busted Knuckle for turning me on to these guys. Thanks so much. But now I have to tell you this thing will fly. Anyone that says a 6v92 is a turd havent driven a good one. I didnt want to run a new engine to hard but Ill tell you their wasnt a hill in Missouri or Oklahoma on interstate 44 that I couldnt accelerate up running 70+mph.  The engine is bone stock except for 90lb injectors. They have an in house dyno. Of course he didnt dyno mine since it was an inframe he said comparable motors usually dyno 375. He said its all in the injectors and rack. They gurantee a 24 hour turn around, but he said if they could have it another day until noon they would spend lots of time tuning it and getting the rack just right. and wow I believe they nailed it.
Ill tell you anyone that needs more power than this just has more money than brains.
He did say the larger injectors are good for 30-50hp but he warned me dont run it to hard with those big injectors. I wont lie I had to try it out too see what she would do but 90% of the ride home I ran her aroung 65. I feel like 65 is the sweet spot on this motor. Itll run alot faster but I feel like its turning too many rpm at 70-80 mph. Yes I said 80 HaHa.
These guys have been in business for 40 years and have done over 5,000.00 of these. They must still be in business for a reason. No they dont do trucks just buses. Especially detroits.
He did warn me to never idle this motor for over five minutes. He said as soon as you start idling that old detroit the sleeves will glaze over than Ill have an oil burning machine that these detroits are famous for.
All in All I feel like I got a new bus and I wouldnt have done anything different.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2010, 06:04:42 AM »

You did good the 2 strokes are not a bad engines people kill the engines and I am happy for you about the bottom end you lose the mains it becomes big bucks and a major job, for 7 grand he must of used FM parts ? nothing wrong with those they have a better warranty than DD parts 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: