Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 03:50:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailor hitch needed. asap  (Read 2499 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 07:52:07 PM »

Craig
I have seen his site/sites  show up a few times lately and the people that have bought from him must be doing alright but that doesn't mean I will be buying.

John

That's why I said, "Tread carefully."  Evidently there were those that paid for bus conversions that did alright, too, until he cheated some of them out of their money
to the tune of about a quarter million dollars.

Prison changes some people, but once a convicted felon, always a convicted felon.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 07:58:42 PM »

try this for prefabbed hitches for all models of mci. little pricey, but just what your looking for.

http://www.busrvparts.com/Towing%20Hitches.htm

Quote from: gumpy
Tread carefully here. This site appears to be one of the many associated with a very famous bus felon we all love to hate.

Hmmm Craig I had to go back re-read this, at first I thought you were refering to BCM bbs and me! Wink

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 07:59:41 PM »

Caylor 785-878-3405

But after thinking about it I agree with some of the other suggestions !

Especially the Greyhound one! Greyhound is a block up the street from American Fleet! And if they tell you it will be done, it will be done unless they run into a problem. But if they do I'm sure thy will let you know ahead of time!
Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 08:02:13 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 08:19:54 AM »

Before I start my reply, a small rant.  I SURE WISH that folks would at least sign their posts with their name.  Better yet, set up a signature to tell who you are, where you live, what your bus is, and at least your first name.  This board is family to most of us and I REALLY HATE not being able to address a person by their name.

End rant.

Wax-um (James?), there are a couple of thread that you should read.  First is about a hitch and tail lights on an MCI  http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=16989.msg181987 .  Next is a thread on why folks need to be careful about what they tow.  In your case, you are not asking about a big trailer, but it is still good reading:  http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=16871.msg180746 .

Springfield, MO is a hot bed of car fabricators and good welding shops.  American Fleet Services should be able to refer you to a shop that can fabricate a hitch.  Having said that, the hitch is mounted on the engine cradle and special care should be taken to make sure it is mounted properly.  As noted, the tail light issue is significant, since you need to make the conversion from 4-3 and 24V to 12V.  The first thread listed above will give you info and links on what you need to do. 

I agree, that maybe you need to find a way to get there without having to deal with a toad.  Hitches and tail light converters are not one hour jobs.

Now to the real reason for my writing this post.  It sounds like you plan to make money with this bus.  That puts you in a commercial service category.  To be "legal", you will need a CDL with passenger endorsement, DOT registration and Commercial insurance.  It will also require a yearly DOT inspection.  I suspect that you will try to fly under the wire, but if you get caught or have an accident, you will be in big time trouble.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
cody

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 08:33:05 AM »

yep craig, he appears to be back lol.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 08:53:16 AM »

You guys are funny the Walker debate ranks right up there with the great oil and antifreeze debate, give him break he paid his dues.

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
cody

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 09:01:58 AM »

Your absolutely right, he paid his dues and did his prison time for fraud but I'd be very interested in the part of his parole that precludes him from reentering his past line of work, in michigan that is a provision of release and is the condition for a period not less than 60 months from the date of release from prison, penn always had a simular provision in the past, maybe it is no longer in effect but he is in fact out of prison and we have to recognize that even tho he was convicted for fraud, that doesn't mean that he still caries the same mindset.
cody

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 09:04:11 AM »

Getting back to the original subject you may want to check with charter companies in your area, many remove the hitches from buses they buy and those hitches can often be had reasonably, or even for free and if the bus is simular it may just bolt up.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 09:16:18 AM »

Cody, you know the crooked a** politicians have probably had the law changed the ones in DC make Walker look like Snow White

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 09:36:49 AM »

Yep just like antifreeze and oil. You got to love this board.

John Smiley
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:54:52 PM by Jriddle » Logged

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 10:34:13 AM »

And I always feel the need to chime in that I bought a hitch from him, it was delivered on time and it fit fine.  Nice hitch, in my opinion, and I couldn't have built one myself for the money.  So consider me chimed!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 10:51:23 AM »

Might even ask Howard or Bob if they have one laying around that was removed while doing an engine R & R that the customer didn't need or want put back on.
FWIW! I still like the Greyhound idea less than a 3 minute walk from door to door!
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

cody

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 10:52:25 AM »

I had my hitch built by a local welding shop, the guy over engineered it, he made the cross piece out of 3/4 inch flat steel 5 inches wide, the hitch is braced beyond belief lol, the main thing is to make it strong and bolt it up strong, then keep within the idea that your pulling on the engine cradle in most respects.  It cost me far less to have it built than to buy a prefab one but the welder has to know what he is doing to properly do the job and make it safe.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: