Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 11:40:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: some pics of a 4 axle highway coach + a few shots of the steering linkages.  (Read 1706 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2010, 07:04:14 AM »

Rode this bus for 18 hrs from Cusco to Lima.  The first 12 hours were on a very twisty road, the 4 axle buses seem to be the preferred rig for this route, I saw a bunch coming from the other direction.  I can attest that they can really pull some G's in the corners.  I had the primo seats in the front, the kids used the seats and I slept on the floor, I figured this was a good set up for me as I need to stretch out to sleep (6'2") well it didn't work out that way.  The cornering was intense and i had to hang on so that I wouldn't slide from side to side,  I think there is a straight section (highland plateau?) in the 12 hrs as I did sleep some.  Don't know the physics of this but I suspect these 4 axle buses have better handling than 3 axles.  I have ridden my fair share of buses down twisty roads and I have never experienced cornering like that.  The kids were belted in (thank you Peru for your seat belt laws) and the asphalt was in great, almost new shape (other than the washed out areas which were gravel).  Speaking of wash outs, this bus was SMOOOOOTH!  Over bumps and gravel it just absorbed it, like I remember the late 70's Mercedes sedans rode.  

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:09:16 AM by zubzub » Logged

Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 07:19:34 AM »

I am sure power steering is in order.
John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:31:37 AM »

Nice photos we had the chance to visit the factories in Brazil and  San Luis Potosi Mexico where they built the frames for those buses they are huge if I recall right the chassis was 9 ft wide without a body more shocking to me was that Volkswagen owned the majority of Scania  

good luck
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:37:44 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:55:11 AM »

I was just thinking about how big the bill would be if you pulled one of those into an alignment shop. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 01:39:14 PM »

Look a window licker! Reminds me of those fish you put in an aquarium to keep the algae down!
Also it's had a leaky wheel seal!
Bob of the north the alignment shop wouldn't scare me as much as the tire shop! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 08:07:29 PM »

Good catch on the wheel seal, I had not noticed.  Decent looking Michelins on all rims as I recall. 

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 05:07:49 AM »

Can you imagine what would happen if you went crawling around under a bus in New York City with a camera??  Oh, My God, call Homeland Security!!

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 05:48:05 AM »

Can you imagine what would happen if you went crawling around under a bus in New York City with a camera??  Oh, My God, call Homeland Security!!

Simply taking photos of the outside of a bus can get you into trouble...not because of terrorist paranoia but simply because of the people (and especially children) who might be in the shot. I heard a piece on the radio just recently where a bus-spotter was talking about the regular grief he gets nowadays whilst going about his hobby.

(I'm not sure whether or not 'bus spotting' as a hobby has much of a following in the States; I'm taking about odd people who find interest in recording bus numbers, just as they do with trains and aircraft. Nothing at all like the perfectly normal hobby of taking photographs of steering linkages on quad-axle Scanias).

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 05:57:07 AM »

Yeah Jeremy ya never know when someone might get upset seeing their kid licking a bus window posted on the internet for the whole world to see! Wink
(yeah zub, I know it's yer kid just using it as an example!)

We have to be very careful on what photos we put on our companies website and have express written consent from anyone in the pics before posting!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: