Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 01:55:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did someone stretch this thing?  (Read 2529 times)
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:33:15 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-2008-MCI-45-12SLIDEOUT-DETROIT-8V92-DIESEL-NICE-/300455961161?pt=RVs_Campers#ht_28881wt_1008

Generator is sit's in front of the motor in reference to the access door....be a nightmare to work on!
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:51:36 AM »

Did MCI even have 45' buses in 89?,  seems like a lot of rear overhang for a bus. Smiley 

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
cody

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 09:52:55 AM »

I just called the number listed and talked to Brian, the builder was Walker before he went to prison, there is no documentation on the engine or tranny rebuild, the guy seemed reluctant to tell me who the builders were and when I asked if one was walker, he hesitated and then admitted that it was, just throwing this out as some extra info, he said the documentation of the rebuild on the tranny and engine could possibly exist, he didn't know, my thoughts on this are if it exists he should have it, another question is it seems to have a side mounted radiator like an eagle instead of the upper radiators and blower setups.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:02:45 AM »

Side mounted radiators are good on a MCI I am doing one using the Prevost fan drive just like that one 

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
cody

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:10:57 AM »

I like the side mounting of my radiator, what I don't like about the small upper radiators found on some MCI's is the blower belt, for some reason the thoughts of it spinning in front of my face with the doors open scares me, (I know I get scared of strange things lol).
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:30:42 AM »

That is one strange looking bus with the stretch behind the rear axle and the long overhang.  No thanks.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Eric

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 10:49:07 AM »

anyone else notice the Neoplan speedo?
cody

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 11:00:07 AM »

Lots of red flags with this one, ranging from the builder to the listed mileage, to the lack of documentation of the engine and tranny rebuild just 5000 miles ago. It might be a perfectly good bus but not for me.  I think the pic of the speedometer used to reflect the stated mileage is a nice touch tho lol, even tho it's a replacement speedometer.  I do believe that the seller might be just a tad optomistic on his price tho.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 11:02:43 AM »

Definitely stretched behind the rear axle. Looks nicely done, but time will tell! And I'm also not too sure about the genny location!

Quote from: Ed Hackenbruch
Did MCI even have 45' buses in 89?,  seems like a lot of rear overhang for a bus. Smiley  
NO! MCI didn't build their first 45' coach until '93 it was based on a D model and called a DL (L for long)
If you look at it close the rear overhang looks to be about the same as our Setra S417's
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Eric

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »

I suppose if you wanted something that looked like a S&S this would be it! Not my cup of tea! just a bit odd!
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 01:10:34 PM »

The rear overhang on this one will require a very shallow departure angle. You would have to be super careful where you went.

The biggest question I have is how was the structure modified for the slide & rear overhang?

Then, what are the axle weights? I wonder how well it drives with that large overhang . . . .

Million dollar coaches have lots nicer interiors with furniture that fits the space - not stuff that looks lost.

But that's only my opinion. . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 01:31:31 PM »

Kyle,
As I said the rear overhang looks comparable to the Setra I was in @ Arcadia this yr.

Also I will go out on a limb here and mention that of the people I have heard of that had Sam Walker do work for them the response was usually pretty good! From what I heard the craftsmanship was top notch WHEN THE WORK WAS ACTUALLY DONE!
(now we all know the horror stories of mega $ being given and no product delivered!)

And if they were saying or indicating it was a million dollar coach I would be right there arguing with you about the furniture. But they are ONLY asking $125,000.00 Wink and they only say "LOOKS LIKE THE NEW RENAISSANCE MCI THAT COSTS OVER A MILLION DOLLARS"
Now for my rants Wink
OK first off, if a new Renaissance costs over a million dollars I got a couple Setra's that put a Renaissance to shame I'll take half that for! Wink
Second I love the part where it says "ALMOST EVERYTHING IS BRAND NEW OR REBUILT" and then it also say's "The interior is in nice condition with the exception of showing just a very little normal wear. The White paint and body is in nice condition with the exception of showing just a little normal wear."
SO which is it brand new, rebuilt or showing normal wear? Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
cody

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 02:11:39 PM »

It certainly is comforting to know that the engine and tranny were rebuilt a scant 5000 miles ago tho.
pete36330

my mc9 ,,gonna finish it one day ,,

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 02:18:26 PM »

Sounds just like another bus dealer ,,In Basset,VA  ,,CAUTION  buyer beware,,
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 07:29:51 PM »

Says winning bidder...Not an auction. BIN...125K will buy you a lot nicer than that weird ugly bus. just sayin'
mike802

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 07:52:39 PM »

I may not be experienced enough to comment on this one, but the part that says "professionally built" would scare me. I am building my mc 9 because I won a "professionally built" travel trailer and it's junk.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 08:12:25 PM »

This is one of the old Walker site link if it still works. Somewhere in there there is a picture of one tat looks like that one in progress of being converted. As I remember when I read it, it was being not only stretched but also had an extension put on it of 5 foot in the rear of the back axle. It did talk about the angle of approach also. I also remember at the time thinking of railroad tracks and how it may not make it over some.

Dave

http://busconversion101.com/MCI_9_1980.htm

Dave5Cs

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 08:17:46 PM »

Yep just found it. Same Bus being built way back.
If you go to the site and click on "NEWEST Body Styles" It is there. It even shows the extension and it dragging the ground almost at the back.

Dave

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 08:49:33 PM »

This is one of the old Walker site link if it still works. Somewhere in there there is a picture of one tat looks like that one in progress of being converted. As I remember when I read it, it was being not only stretched but also had an extension put on it of 5 foot in the rear of the back axle. It did talk about the angle of approach also. I also remember at the time thinking of railroad tracks and how it may not make it over some.

Dave

http://busconversion101.com/MCI_9_1980.htm

Dave it was "stretched" but only by the part added at the back! The rest is still a factory MCI!
It gives the appearance of being stretched in the mid section because of the 4 bay doors on the drivers side, but all they did was remove the OEM/OTR A/C compartment & equipment and put a bay door on there it you'll notice the fuel tank takes up a lot of that bay!
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Dave5Cs

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 08:54:22 PM »

BK,
Your genius, that is what they did. I keep looking at it trying to figure out hy it looked weird. We are all so used to seeing our own with the Gen door that we don't notice when it is gone or different. Thank you now I can sleep ,HA,HA,HA

Funny that that is the same bus on their site eh!

Dave

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »

BK,
Your genius, that is what they did. I keep looking at it trying to figure out hy it looked weird. We are all so used to seeing our own with the Gen door that we don't notice when it is gone or different. Thank you now I can sleep ,HA,HA,HA
Funny that that is the same bus on their site eh!
Dave

Dave I wouldn't necessarily say genius......(well ok maybe!) just been around the block a time or two when it comes to buses! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin 

www.kylakesidetravel.net

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 09:04:27 PM »

That poor coach will be the devil to drive in a breeze, the front end will be way too light.

It will wander all over the road with every gust.

All the stock HVAC ballast gone, and the generator and drive train hung out the back?

I wonder how far back the engine is sitting, did I kiss the pic of the engine room?

Run away!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Dave5Cs

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 09:30:03 PM »

Heck BW,
 Just the price alone would make me run away, but you are so right. The back weight must be awful and I would think somewhat dangerous driving down the road. The insides of these fancy ones to my wife and I are not very useful to us anyway in our thinking.

We are simple people but like a little comfort and cozy in the winter. We both like to cook and those are kind of sterile and cold looking. We did a big walk through kitchen with tile counters ( Because I am a contractor and can do all the work myself), sink and refer on 1 side and the stove and cutting area on the other and a wood floor. Lots of wood cabinets, vinyl ceiling. Lots of pictures in frames that are family art or our own, but people walk in and say this is like a real home not cold. I guess to each their own. In the Bath I made a cabinet and used a framed picture for the door. Don't mean to offend anyone who cares for those, just my opinion. That and ten cents won't buy a cup of Joe, LOL

Dave

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:52:51 PM by Dave5Cs » Logged

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 05:21:15 AM »

BW,
If you look @ the pics again find the one of the genny, and then look very closely @ it! The engine/drive train was left in the stock position while the rear end had 5' added and the genny is mounted there in that 5' behind the engine!
(at least they did extend the engine rails, to aid in R & R ing the engine for repairs!)
IF this bus ever sells it will be to someone totally mechanically clueless!
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

cody

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 05:52:50 AM »

BK, I have no interest in buying this bus lol.
Dave5Cs

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 09:17:11 AM »

I got it;

You can add wheelie bars to the back and use it as an attraction at the drag strip!!!
Man we will be famous I can see it now.

Dave

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 10:20:28 AM »

I got it;

You can add wheelie bars to the back and use it as an attraction at the drag strip!!!
Man we will be famous I can see it now.

Dave

Not with a stock 8V71 you won't Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: