Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 02:18:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V92's out of boat  (Read 4416 times)
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 02:14:45 PM »

Clifford,

you got it, what day would be good for you. We will also need to stop and get Bk and Uncle Ned to help us load them. Uncle Ned is looking at a couple of trucks for me, will load them in the back of those and you and BK can drive them back for me. When we get back we can put the CCTS kits in them then u will be tier II compliant and we can boost the hp and use less fuel at the same time.

Don
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 02:19:01 PM »

I'm game! Shoot I just got back from the first vacation I've taken that didn't have SOMETHING to do with the business in 6 yrs, and I could get used to it!
Of course Don, we could find the problem with my 6V92 while you were here and say it's a "parts run" and then I wouldn't have to burn that hard to get vacation time! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 02:28:01 PM »

Bk well just have to take a extra day after the 92 and then who's knows, Huh

What do think is wrong with the 92, you know, we may need Cody to help, don't we need someone doing the work while Alice supervises and we chase parts. lol

Don
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 03:27:15 PM »

LOL! Yeah I can see that!
No idea on the 92 except that after it lost the turbo we have water/coolant running out of the drain boxes as fast as we pour it in. Haven't pulled the engine or head yet.

BTW I found you an awesome shop/property right down the road from us.
Niles told me "I wish you hadn't shown me that, now I'll be try'n to figure out what I could use it for." Then he mentioned "Hey wouldn't that be perfect for Don Fairchild?" Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »

Bk;

Send me the info and I will take a look at it.

Thanks

Don
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 01:52:53 PM »

Well, the talk about 16V92 got my tired old brain sidetracked and off to Bonneville where I was "associated" with the land speed record diesel truck:  The Phoenix.  It has a 16V92 with four turbos.  The record of over 272 still stands today.

I spent a bit of time and put together a tribute page (both owners have passed away).  Take a look:  http://rvsafetysystems.com/The%20Phoenix%20LSR%20Truck.htm

There are a couple of other two-stroke stories on that page.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 02:07:51 PM »

Very cool beans  !!!

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »

Jim,

That is a great piece and tribute.  As it happens the MTU site http://2cycle.mtu-online.com/ mentioned by Tom C is looking for two cycle stories.  Perhaps they would like a link to yours.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 11:26:20 PM »

Jim,

That's a very nice tribute. Does the truck still exist?

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 02:58:29 AM »

Very good story Jim, that is one cool looking truck! Cool

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 03:54:33 AM »

OH YEAH! Thanks Jim for posting your link to the land speed truck. this is the stuff i love. The USA is full of characters like these that you barely hear of. When i was in Fla late 70's we had a local mechanic (Tom Shively with a 67 Barracuda) who would swap his 440 Mopar once a year for his hemi motor and give it a shot at the Gator Nationals. I rode up the track one weekend with the 440 motor crouching behind the front seat. Looking at that 47 truck as it changes thru the years is awesome. Thanks alot you made my day. dave

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 05:15:26 AM »

Thanks guys.  I was afraid that this was a bit too far OT.

Bob, yesterday I left a message on the phone of the person that I think is Carl Heap's son.  I hope he returns the call or sends me an email.  I would have to believe that the truck is still around - probably in a museum.

I had heard that when Carl knew his time was limited, he made sure that the truck was parked and would not be driven by his son or any other person.  I think that is OK.  It was the end of an era.

I am so glad that I got to witness the truck as it evolved and got to know some of the fun folks. 

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
cody

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 05:16:17 AM »

Don and BK, I kinda figured I'd get drawn into the mix lol, nothing I'd like better, just wish I could do it right now but if don gets his shop set up next to Bks' it would be great.  one project I'm playing with now is how to get 15MPG out of an olds 403 in my revcon, Marty Moore in San Diego says I should be able to get at least 10 or 12 so I figured I'd shoot for 15, right now it seems stuck at 5 or 6 and he says thats not even a thought and not many people know revcons like marty, he's been neck deep in them since the beginning and at 80 is still a legend with them.
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 07:27:22 AM »

Cody  you could get a lot more than 15 mpg by replacing that big old GM motor with a VW rabbit diesel. Of course the only way it would move is down hill. 

Have a nice day

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 07:42:04 AM »

Cody-you could replace that 403 with a 6.5 GM Diesel (I think it would fit).  Then 15mpg and more would be possible.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: