Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 09:03:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grand Canyon bound  (Read 972 times)
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2010, 06:11:53 PM »

the family and I will be leaving eastern OK within the next 2 weeks, and heading west on I40 to Nevada then north toward Reno from there.  I am considering a detour to grand canyon, it won't add many miles to the trip.  What kind of grades would i encounter once i leave I40 headed north on 64/180?  is it bus friendly?  i haven't weighed the bus yet but estimate somewhere around 30k# and will have full size truck in tow @ about 8k#.  I will be weighing the bus when we get under way.  conversion is pretty much finished.  is this a friendly route?

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 06:23:46 PM »

I don't trecall any hard grades on that route.
If you come back down 64 to 180 into Flagstaff watch for Elk and heards of Elk along the route.
Make sure and go about 20 or so miles east of the main part of the park out to Desert Tower.
Also, walk down the Bright Angel trail to the first tunnel...we saw Bighorn Sheep coming out of the canyon just below there.  Also Indian painting on the rock.
Wonderful trip!
If you have a bunch of cash, go to the Meteor Crator just west of Winslow.
I looked up the rates;
Adults $15.00
Seniors $14.00 (age 60 years and over)
Juniors $8.00 (age 6 through 17 years)
5 and under are free
I thought it was worth it.  Weather permitting they give a guided tour along part of the rim, that was cool!
Jack
PS...we thought the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert at Holbrook was right up there with the Canyon, in a different way!

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 06:49:06 PM »

180 has some pretty good grades take 64 out of Williams it is nice road no grades

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:53:39 AM »

Also by going throught Williams you will miss the tight turns and roads in Flagstsaff. I live just out side Sedona AR (Cornville)
ED

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »

Ed, they moved Sedona to Arkansas while i wasn't looking? Cheesy

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 07:56:21 AM »

Since SR 1070 Arizona is wanted in all of the US. Daggum computer I tell it what I want and it does its on thing.
Sedona, Arizona
ED

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:47:11 AM »

Ed, they moved Sedona to Arkansas while i wasn't looking? Cheesy

boy they really messed things up when they went from a 3 letter state abbreviation to 2 didn't they?

thanks for all the replies.  i think we will go the Williams way and avoid the twists and turns.  Are there places to stay in or around Tusayan that will accommodate a 40' rig?

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: