Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 10:17:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine shut down problem 6-71. Also some pics of a MCI Courier.  (Read 1568 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2010, 07:27:32 AM »

I have posted about this before but never pursued it that far as it "ain't broke"  well now it is.  This shut down thingy came with my bus but does not appear to be OE.  Any info appreciated.

The air cylinder that pushes the linkage to the rack is a little weird, it seems to be retracted when there is air or no air but in a weird twist of Huh? if the there is air pressure and you release the air pressure (via the handy shraeder valve or the solenoid thingy on the firewall) the rod pops out just long enough to shut er down.  

The last time I started my always starts flawlessly bus, the engine hit ran for a few secs and then died.   I tried starting again and it would no hit.  Well it's nice to know your bus cause right away I suspected my little friend, so I removed it from the head and voila she starts on a dime as usual.  SO looking at it I guess the push rod is starting to be a little out of adjustment, but I have alreadly adjusted this thing and there is a very limited amount of adjustment, there is very little throw in the thingy so it has to be adjusted pretty tight against the linkage so that when it is activated it pushes far enough on the rack to shut er down.  You can see in this pic the linkage that the pushrod connects with.
 I'm not really in a rush on this as I am parked for a bit but would be nice not to haver to use a stick in the hole to shut down.
and now for some eye candy?? here is an old MCI Courier that has wandered into the bus yard where my bus lives...

oh  and before I get grief about the bad focus....I was out of batteries so I couldn't retake them

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »

Zub -

I think a call to Luke might easily solve your problem.  1-888-262-2434.

Interesting old Courier, JC will be impressed - might even be interested in it as a parts bus for his!  LOL

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:51:08 AM »

Yea, I see it! Nice project for someone... It doesn't have the stainless sides though.

Zub, take the valve cover off. The rod that pushes the rack to no fuel has a turnbuckle adjustment in it with lock nuts that must've gone loose. Hopefully yours is easier to get at than mine on the 4-71 Courier. It is at the back of the engine and tight under the bedroom floor.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:58:39 AM »

Pat, that shut down was also common to  the 6-71 in equipment and the marine world the old Terex had those on the 110 and 6-71 look at governor if you don't have 2 levers that is the one you need if you do have 2 levers you can use almost anything air or electric

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:05:04 AM »

interesting....what do you mean by 2 levers on the governor?  As far as I remember the shut down linkage  does not interact with the governor, so maybe I can just replace this with anything that pushes...

gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 07:00:04 PM »

Zub,

The shutdown works only for an instant, as you have found out. It just shuts off the engine and retracts since it has done its job and wants to rest.

After the bus sits a while and loses air you can start it with the front engine run switch off by jumping the starter solenoid (It is connected directly to the battery) and the engine will run until air pressure builds up enough to shut off the engine.

With no air press it will also start with the rear engine run switch off until air pressure builds up. Don't ask me how I know this one!!

It is heart warming to see another 671 as dirty as mine!!!!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: