Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 12:34:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: recaps opinion  (Read 4367 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2010, 08:46:09 AM »

Right on Ed!  I can't seem to get across that tires are much more then big round rubber things that hold air.  Michelin makes over 50 models just for trucks, and each model a very specific use.  By running an el cheapo tire on the drives, yes you'll save a bunch of money, but your stopping distance will be not as good as if you had a specific drive tire like the Michelin XDN2 (probably the best traction and riding tire made now-and also $$$$).  The difference in a few feet of stopping power can make the difference between hitting and not hitting.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2010, 11:16:05 AM »

If you want to save $$ and be safe, you might do what I did. I went to a size smaller then the 12r22.5 and the price was about cut in half for Firestone FS560 Of course you need to keep a close eye on your weight if you do that. But for me this was the perfect answer as I can get the 11r22.5 almost anywhere at almost anytime, they are waaaayyy less expensive but of good quality (as a matter of fact doing this you can get a better quality tire then you could maybe afford by keeping the larger size), and my bus is as light weight as it will ever be because I am still in the stripping phase. When I start adding stuff though I will have to be careful and if it looks like I am too close to the edge then I will reconsider and maybe go for 11r24.5 with new wheels. Another option is to buy virgin take offs from truckers or professional bus company's or even the fire department.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2010, 03:26:52 PM »

In NY you cannot run recaps at steering axle on commercial buses. Thats all that is prohibited. Most people wont ever on the steers. Have you got any prices on the retreads Kevin?

You can not run re-caps on the steer of COMMERCIAL BUSES anywhere in the US!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: