Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 09:07:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TORN BETWEEN TWO LOVERS... ER BUSES  (Read 3204 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:22:33 PM »

As I stated previously, I am in the process of saving up for our bus. The bus we had originally selected is still available.  I described it here, close to the bottom of the page:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=2547.371

There is a second bus available, which was just retired from the military and has had very good maintainance. Same company as the first (MASA = Mexicana de Autobuses). It is seven years older, 1985. Instead of a 6V92T and 7-speed, this one has an 8V71 and a ten-speed standard. The tires look like new. The reason it is tempting is that for the first bus I have to save up about another $5,000 U.S., and for this older bus, I have enough now.

Both come with Jake Brakes. #1 has a recent overhaul, and is owned by a long-time friend.

Here is a pix of a bus similar to #2. Notice the factory raised roof half-way back.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:25:29 PM by XE1UFO » Logged

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 01:25:39 AM »

If you're going to travel in the western US around Colorado, Wyoming, explore the Sierra Nevadas, then the 6V-92TA would serve you better with its' turbocharger.  Then again, if you don't mind going up hills a bit slower, the 10spd on the 8V-71 would work well too.  I say get the bus NOW and get working!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 04:04:46 AM »

it's a very nice looking bus!  I like it a lot.  nothing wrong with an 8V-71 that a ten speed should fix, or sure help with!  Said he with a 8V71 with a 4 speed...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 04:19:13 AM »

how about bus #2 and add a turbo

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:26:48 AM »

Steve took the words right out of my mouth!

I really like bus # 2 better!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:04:50 AM »

I'll vote for #2 also! We have an 8v71N and a 4 speed box. I like the 10 speed, get it!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:08:57 AM »

Driving the 10 speed may not be much different than the 7 speed - all depends on how the ratios are split & how they fit the motor's power curve.
Turbo won't loose as much power at higher altitudes as the non turbo.
If you keep the conversion light weight, the 8V71 will do fine.
You can always add a turbo or propane injection at a later date to the non turbo.

Drive both, then get the one that drives the best. The second one looks more classic, so that's the one I like.  Grin

decisions, decisions . . . .  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 07:28:47 AM »

Thanks to all of you for your ideas!

Kyle4501:
I understand the non-turbo engines lose 4% of their power for every 1,000 feet of altitude. Is that correct? How do yo add propane injection? What does it do?

TomC:
I am located in the heart of the Mexican Republic, at 6,800 feet above sea level. I live in San Juan del Río, Querétaro, 100 miles North West of Mexico City.  I do a ton of driving all over central and southern Mexico between 5,000 and 11,000 feet altitude, where the American Rockies end in a huge knot. So yes: Mountain-climbing ability is a definite plus.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
Jake brakes
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 07:59:58 AM »

I also cast my vote for Bus #2.... Nice classic styling..

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 08:27:43 AM »

I understand the non-turbo engines lose 4% of their power for every 1,000 feet of altitude. Is that correct? How do yo add propane injection? What does it do?

I have no details concerning how to add it, I have only heard from others that they had done it & it worked. I would think that if you asked around the truck repair shops, you would find someone who knows . . . . I would try to find several shops that have done it & then chose one to use.

Good Luck!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 08:31:41 AM »

I've heard Utah Claim Jumper here on the board has done it and loves it!
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 08:48:26 AM »

I would add a Jake Brake too!  That was one of thee first things I did with my bus before I brought it home from Kelso, Wa.  Personally-like the 10spd better then the 7spd.  The 7spd, although it doesn't have a splitter, can be a bit cantankerous to shift at times.  Get the 8V-71-I have one in my bus and added a turbocharger, larger injectors, air to air intercooler bumping my power from 300hp and 800lb/ft torque, to 375hp and 1125lb/ft torque that really flatened the hills.  Course, in Mex, you can't really go that fast on the hilly two lane roads anyway.  And lots of buses there still with 8V-71's!  Nice thing about the 10spd, you can also skip shift-use every other gear most of the time and have all gears available for the steep hills.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 09:25:56 AM »

I would add a Jake Brake too!  That was one of thee first things I did with my bus before I brought it home from Kelso, Wa.  Personally-like the 10spd better then the 7spd.  The 7spd, although it doesn't have a splitter, can be a bit cantankerous to shift at times.  Get the 8V-71-I have one in my bus and added a turbocharger, larger injectors, air to air intercooler bumping my power from 300hp and 800lb/ft torque, to 375hp and 1125lb/ft torque that really flatened the hills.  Course, in Mex, you can't really go that fast on the hilly two lane roads anyway.  And lots of buses there still with 8V-71's!  Nice thing about the 10spd, you can also skip shift-use every other gear most of the time and have all gears available for the steep hills.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom I think he said both already have the Jake, and I also agree on the 10 Spd.
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

BG6

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 09:36:10 AM »

In the pics, it looks like the first bus is a transit, the second an intercity.

If this is true, the second would be my choice.  I would NEVER buy a transit to do a conversion.

For most driving, you need gears more than turbocharger, so the 8V71 with the 10-speed will do as well as the 6V92T with 7-speed MOST of the time.  You will notice the difference on long uphill pulls, but unless you plan to spend a lot of time going over steep grades, you will probably be just as happy with one as with the other.

Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 10:01:58 AM »

While the second bus may LOOK like a transit with that strange boxy front end, it is a highway bus currently licensed and working in federal (nation-wide) tourism service.

Yes: BOTH buses already have the Jake brake installed.

Jake brakes
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: