Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 09:43:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TORN BETWEEN TWO LOVERS... ER BUSES  (Read 3180 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 10:04:47 AM »

I have one in my bus and added a turbocharger, larger injectors, air to air intercooler bumping my power from 300hp and 800lb/ft torque, to 375hp and 1125lb/ft torque that really flatened the hills. 

Mr TomC Sir:
It sounds like you have already been down here in Mexico.

Did you do this engine conversion yourself, or have it done? I would LOVE to find some information on how to do it?

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 10:49:26 AM »

I had Don Fairchild in Bakersfield, Ca do the change over.  Since I had a recent over haul on the engine, I figured it was still fresh enough to turbocharge.  I had a custom air to air intercooler made that fits in front of my radiator (my radiator sits in at least 8 inches since the engine mounting was made for a 96" bus, but mine is 102" wide).  Then took the bus to Bakersfield and Don pulled the engine and one of the cylinders to see what pistons and rings I had.  I do have the high compression pistons (18.7 vs 17 for turbo) but we figured to keep the boost around 15 psi and the rings are the tight transit rings-rather then loose (for more power) highway rings for truckers. Don changed the injectors from brown tag N65 to 9G75, did the plumbing for the turbo to air to air then to the engine, installed the Series 60 turbocharger with waste gate, and while the engine was out, I had my transmission rebuilt.  Don also replaced the ready to fail oil pump drive on the engine.
It ran great! But in the next six months after the job was done, I had the radiator built up from a 5 row straight fin to a 6 row serpentine fin (biggest I could fit in), replaced the stuffed up muffler with a 5" oval same side inlet and outlet Donaldson Turbo rated muffler, changed the air filter from a 6" to 7" opening and cut additional air vents, installed an auxiliary transmission cooler with electric thermostatically controlled fan, and installed two additional vents in the engine compartment door.  Everything with transmission overhaul was right at $17,000.00.  Then also installed 15 misters running off the water system in front of the radiator.  I know-everyone says that's a bandaide, but what do you do when you can't go bigger on the radiator? I recently drilled out two of the misters with 1/16" drill-man now they really dump alot of water and really bring the temp down.  Was it worth it-I think so since I only have a 3 spd Allison automatic.  With a 10spd, I may have just got it more finely tuned.
If you do get the bus with the 8V-71, open one of the valve covers to see what injectors are being used.  Ideally in altitude, you want N60's, and with a 10 spd should be good. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
busdriver58

Eagles Fan

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 10:50:56 AM »

...  Get the 8V-71-I have one in my bus and added a turbocharger, larger injectors, air to air intercooler bumping my power from 300hp and 800lb/ft torque, to 375hp and 1125lb/ft torque that really flatened the hills....

TomC,

I remember to have read that you did this on your engine how much is the cost to install Turbo on a 8V71?

Sorry for the hijack but I have this question from a long time ago...

EDITED:

You was writing the answer when I was writing also, anyway thanks.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:59:50 AM by busdriver58 » Logged

Chihuahua, MX
1969 Eagle 05 8V92/Auto &
1964 Eagle 01 8V71/Std
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 11:08:40 AM »

Yikes! That is a good amount of money! $17,000 would be 265% of what the #2 bus would initially cost me ($6,400). The #1 bus, with the 6V92TA, would be less than $10,500 U.S. initial cost. So maybe long-term it might be a better deal.

One great blessing I have down here is labor costs, as well as machine shop costs. The complete overhaul of my friend's 6V92T in his bus (parts and labor) was $19,000 pesos (approximately $1,520 U.S.)

I forgot to mention one thing about bus #2 that I did NOT like. The floor raises up about 6 feet down the aisle behind the driver's seat. I believe it is a take-off of an American model from the fifties. Maybe it was the ScenicCruiser?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:15:12 AM by XE1UFO » Logged

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
Jake brakes
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 11:27:48 AM »

Yes, that's like the Scenicruiser, which I consider the most beautiful coach ever built. 

If you do a little planning, that rise to the "deck" can work in your favor.  The front is your living room, the public area, and back on the deck you put all the "back of the house" stuff (kitchen, bath, bedroom).

The real question is SIZE.  Get the one with more space inside.  I'm fulltiming in a 40-foot-long, 96"-wide TMC, and would miss every inch lost if it were a 35-footer.  If I ran into a 45-foot 102" wide coach at a good price, I would seriously consider buying it.  My dream would be a 45-foot 102" Scenicruiser!
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 01:34:49 PM »

The second bus definitely has a superior cool factor.  What else matters?

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 01:58:03 PM »

The second bus definitely has a superior cool factor.  What else matters?

Wink

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 02:14:59 PM »

Talking in percentages, from buying my bus, I've spent 2375% more to convert it.  Buses are expensive, no matter what you do to them-whether it be buying windows, tires, new engine, transmission, etc.  Being commercial vehicles, they both are the most expensive and longest lasting vehicles available.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 05:22:42 PM »

I have to vote with the go now #2 bus. the terrrain you have to traverse might make you want to wait for the 6v92 but by then somthing else might pop up. for #1 bus $ you could find something converted if you dig hard. while looking at your #1 picture i see you asked some ?'s about our GMCI suspension. The work was done in NC at Dean's Coach (RIP) and the guage was just for testing during the build. good luck.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 06:18:48 PM »

I am very thankful to all who have answered my posts! I am learning a lot from all of you!

And the excited public is overwhelmingly in favor of bus #2!

One more question: Would I totally ruin the looks of this bus if I raised the roof above the window line about 10 inches?

I am adding a few more pictures of Masa Somex buses of this body style so you can better give me your educated opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Steve, central old Mexico

Jake brakes
busdriver58

Eagles Fan

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »

I'm from Mx and live in north Mx, I also like the #2, not too much because I'm not a fan from those mexican buses, nothing like a Sultana talking about older buses here in MX

Certainly if you raise a MASA will look strange, I never have seen one with that modification and the windshields are not too tall.

Chihuahua, MX
1964 Eagle 01 8V71/Std
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 06:51:13 PM »

Hey, Busdriver58:

I sent you a personal message several days ago, amigo.

Jake brakes
busdriver58

Eagles Fan

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »

Sorry amigo, PM answered.

Chihuahua, MX
1964 Eagle 01 8V71/Std
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 07:41:35 PM »

Wow  hot tuna !I have to admit, I'm a sucker for shiny busses........If your friend got all that work for $1500  maybe you can realize the same kind of savings to add the turbo and exteras  for about 10% of what it might cost us ...food for thought.....still like the idea of a 8/71 not working as hard as a 6/92 for similar power
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:12:30 PM by steve wardwell » Logged

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: