Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
May 24, 2018, 04:39:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: electric air compressor tied into air system on bus  (Read 24282 times)
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2010, 10:58:01 AM »

Girls ! lets all be nice now and give it a Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Amen

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2010, 11:22:29 AM »

Hell, I drove 5000 miles with my wife in the back using a bicycle pump to keep the brakes working.  I would just be careful not to use the brakes when she got tired.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2010, 11:29:52 AM »

thats it. We are all bozo's on this bus.......................................................forum...........................................lol...........................s.................

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2010, 12:27:51 PM »

Quote from: Busted Knuckle
]
And yes it took a little time to get the replacement compressor from MN. not 6 weeks, but not the next day either. (thanks Craig! Wink)

Quote from: BG6
You were buying a new one, right?

NO! I bought a good known used compressor that came off Brian Deihl's 96A3 when he changed over to a cummins engine. Craig aka "Gumpy" acquired it from him the night I was there checking out his engine swap. In turn I called Craig and aquired it from him, and it went on my 96A3 !

Quote from: BG6
Yesterday I checked six truck places for a compressor for my coach.  Two had no clue what a 6V92T is, but one of THOSE had the compressor on the shelf new, two rebuilt, and the other could get it overnight if I ordered by 2PM.  Three of the four that knew my engine had the compressor, and the other gave me the name of two wrecking yards that were likely to have one and suggested that Freightliner in Salt Lake City would probably have a shelf full of them (he was wrong, they only have five).

If I upchucked the compressor shaft this morning (Saturday), I would be on the road again by Tuesday afternoon.

That's not calling Ted or Luke -- in each case I was calling the nearest places I could find online, in rural northern Nevada. 

While your claiming to know so much and able to get the "right" compressor off the shelf for your bus, suppose you tell us what compressor it is you can get so much faster than the rest of us "stupid" people who would replace it with a new, used or rebuilt TU-FLO 750! (a 750 cfm which is needed on a coach due to the extra air suspension & brake needs over a simple truck compressor!)
Those compressors that you are claiming to be able to have instantly locally are most likely a 500 CFM most standard and maybe a 600! But I guarantee you none of them have or can get you your compressor that quick! I know where to get them and MCI even takes 2-3 days to get you an overpriced re-man because they get it the same place they do for less than 1/2 what they charge! I have been there and done that! More than once and now have a new re-man and a good used spare that passes some oil but pumps good air and would get a bus on it's way in an emergency on the shelf for the next time my MCI or any busnut needed it! (even you)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2010, 02:36:19 PM »

so, air is necessary to allow the vehicle to move...loose too much air and the vehicle will come to a stop.  do i have this right so far? 

NO, and someone may DIE because you don't understand this, so pay attention.

no need to be hateful.  aren't we adults here? 

Lose air and you get an uncommanded and uncontrollable application of the DRIVE AXLE brakes.  If you are going slow and on the flat, they will lock the drive wheels.  If you are on a downgrade or at highway speed, they will slow you until they overheat, at which point you have NO brakes on ANY axle.

You have NO braking on the front axle (or tag, if so equipped), meaning that you have -- at best -- ONLY 30% OF YOUR BRAKES, and that assumes a speed below 40 MPH, even weight distribution on all axles, good traction on level ground.

Why do you think they have runwaway truck ramps on downgrades?

what i said above was simply a generalization.  i completely understand everything you wrote about what happens when the air goes 'bye  bye'.  meaning, i understand that when air is too low or gone all together that the drive axle brakes will apply.  i watch my guages like a hawk and i would never continue cruizing on down the road while the buzzer is blasting away, and the guage needle is falling.  i would be pulling over at the first sign of trouble, but that's just me.

ok, so i guess maybe i am saying i don't see the big problem with what he did.  can't say that i would have went 1200 miles that way, but i don't see where the danger was in what he did.  how is what he did any more dangerous than running with the oem compressor?

The OEM compressor was designed to put out 15 cfm at 150 PSI with a 100% duty cycle (DOT minimum standard).  The Harbor Freight compressor is SUPPOSED to put out 4 cfm at 90 psi with a 30% duty cycle -- and they have a 10% infant mortality rate (where they die within the initial warranty period), so maybe they thing doesn't even meet that low standard.

900 cubic feet per hour at 150 psi (certified) or 76 cubic feet per hour at 90 psi (maybe).  NOW do you see a problem . . ?

ok, i'll give you that one.  IF i were to attempt to move the bus with a temporary air supply i certainly would never do it with a harbor freight cheapo, or any other small cfm pump.

i would also be interested to see the dot regulation that states it is illegal to drive with a temporary air supply.  not saying it don't believe there is one because i am sure there is...i am just curious as to how it is written.

Is THIS your card . . ?  From 49 Code of Federal Regulations 571.121:

S5.1.1 Air compressor. An air compressor of sufficient capacity to increase air pressure in the supply and service reservoirs from 85 psi to 100 psi when the engine is operating at the vehicle manufacturer’s maximum recommended r.p.m. within a time, in seconds, determined by the quotient (Actual reservoir capacity×25)/Required reservoir capacity.

S5.1.1.1 Air compressor cut-in pressure. The air compressor governor cut-in pressure for each bus shall be 85 p.s.i. or greater. The air compressor governor cut-in pressure for each truck shall be 100 p.s.i. or greater.

CARD?  no card.  like i said, i just wanted to see where and how it was written.  If your going to act like you know every thing and claim it to be law, then don't get pissy when someone asks for the facts to back it up.  you seem to be a fairly knowledgable fellow.  my self being a newby, i ask questions.  thats how we learn.  how about a little mercy?  i don't know you and i won't try to form an opinion about you, but you seem to take it a bit too personal.  Thank you for your response, be Blessed.

Some are called, some are sent, some just got up and went.

1998 MCI 102-DL3
Series 60 11.1/Alison B500
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2010, 02:56:53 PM »

My point is I get so pissed off at some who get on their soap boxes proclaiming dot regulations and they know someone who got injured by someone that possibly had a problem. All of us with these old busses have some common sense (actually probably not) but we have to use some common sense to keep these units running up and down the road. I get sick and tired of one individual in particular that never contributes to what this forum is about but can sure keep posting and spouting off about what is correct and legal. Time for the ignore button.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2010, 03:38:01 PM »

All of us with these old busses have some common sense (actually probably not) but we have to use some common sense to keep these units running up and down the road. I get sick and tired of one individual in particular that never contributes to what this forum is about but can sure keep posting and spouting off about what is correct and legal. Time for the ignore button.

If I had a lick of common sense I wouldn't have a bus but as the family and neighborhood eccentric I must.  Grin Wink
If I had two licks I wouldn't be here reading this petty topic and would be spending my Saturday out at the drag races but here I am. Huh

"What he said" on the rest.

I'm going to the races!

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2010, 04:01:28 PM »

Hi Folks,

Just a reminder... Let's not bash anybody! If you think another member is wrong,

simply state your facts and move on!!!

Hope I don't have to lock this thread down cause it's intresting!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2010, 04:04:19 PM »

Sorry Nick.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2010, 05:28:51 PM »

Those compressors that you are claiming to be able to have instantly locally are most likely a 500 CFM most standard and maybe a 600!

No doubt.  I told them I have a 6V92T and wanted to know price and availability on a compressor.

And you know what the difference between them is?  Cylinder bore size.  Meaning that the crankshaft and connecting rods can be swapped between them.

But I guarantee you none of them have or can get you your compressor that quick! I know where to get them and MCI even takes 2-3 days to get you an overpriced re-man because they get it the same place they do for less than 1/2 what they charge! I have been there and done that! More than once and now have a new re-man and a good used spare that passes some oil but pumps good air and would get a bus on it's way in an emergency on the shelf for the next time my MCI or any busnut needed it! (even you)
Grin  BK  Grin

Why would I need that, when there's a Harbor Fright only 20 miles away?  Wink
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2010, 05:40:56 PM »

I doubt if 90% of the buses here would pass one take a 150 bucks or so and see

Gee, THAT sure makes me feel confident when I see a conversion coming the other way!

Mine passed DOT 6 months ago.
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2010, 05:47:53 PM »

I don't want to start any arguments here but I think there is some confusion here about how many CFM a bus air compressor produces. When I worked on the crew that sandblasted highway bridges we used a 2000 CFM air compressor powered by a 16V71 twin turbo engine so I doubt that a bus air compressor could be 750 CFM. I don't think three bus air compressors would supply enough air to run four commercial sand blast nozzles. I'm guessing that the 15 CFM figure I read here is closer to the size of a bus air compressor.
Good luck, Sam MC8

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2010, 05:52:52 PM »

Post your  DOT numbers and you can show the guys that it can be done I said 90% you maybe in the 10% I don't know or care and Sam most of the compressors are around 10cfm +/- depending on the model and rpm (1250) at idle most are around 3 cfm

good luck
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:54:01 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2010, 05:56:11 PM »

If your going to act like you know every thing and claim it to be law, then don't get pissy when someone asks for the facts to back it up. 

I was trying to inject some humor into it.  "Is THIS your card?" is a running Penn & Teller gag.

BG6

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2010, 05:59:33 PM »

You know what?

I GIVE UP.

I'm not going to bother trying to keep you guys alive, or save you from remembering some kid's face in the back seat for the rest of your lives.

Feel free to drive any damn piece of junk you chose, any way you choose, an brag to each other about how you got away with your latest stupid stunt.  I will just keep my eyes open for anyone in a coach conversion, and stay way away from him, because it might be you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: