Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 12:10:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Espar (Eberspacher) heater info....  (Read 1064 times)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2006, 08:31:53 AM »

My bus came with an Espar heater and no paper work.  We're going to winter in Central FLorida and I'm familiar with the weather there.  My feeling that one or two small catalytic heaters should do the job for us...but before I remove this heater I'd like to get a couple of opinions about it if anyone has any knowledge of them, please.

Thanks,

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 10:54:55 AM »

Bob;

I don't have any info for you but if you are going to remove it I would like first chance to buy it.
Do you know the model #, I will look it up on the internet.

Thanks

Don Fairchild
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 04:41:47 PM »

An Espar 41,000 btu unit came with my bus as an auxiliary heater.  I am rerouting it to use it in a system similar to an Aquahot. They are of excellent quality.  All the information you need is on the Internet, I printed out the entire manual for my use.  As far as heating system design  and or parts, call David Haynes at vehicle systems 800-685-4298 x127.  Everything you need to know, even if you don't buy anything from him.

A side benefit of my hybrid system is since some of the parts are already in place, I am fitting the components in smaller available places, and so it takes up far less bay space than an Aquahot.  The only thing I have in the bays is the 11 gallon hot water heater. Seaward, uses both electric element and a heat exchanger (from the Espar) to heat the water.  all the other components are tucked aways in spaces I couldn't use for normal storage anyway.

I am / will be using it to heat domestic hot water as well as using it to heat my coach.  although I will change the electrics to run off house batteries, its all wired,  fuel supply from the tank and the fuel pump is already in and it works, as well as the exhaust.  If it already came built in to your bus, I would highly recommend keeping it and making use of the great heater it is.  I find mine is a lot quieter than the Webasto of similar size - although it still makes noise.  I also have a winter summer valve, so in  the summer the hot water only circulates through the hot water heater, not the rest of the coach.  Using the espar and the heat exchanger hot water heater, the domestic hot water will heat far more quickly than using the electric.  And since I boon dock a lot, I only have to carry one type of fuel, diesel.  Neither it nor its fumes are explosive.

We all do it our own way, based on how we intend to use the coach.  Do it your way.  Good luck.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
NCbob

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 04:55:47 AM »

Jim, thank you for your help.  I found the Website and will be talking with them today.  My greatest concern was that I was stuck with something and no information...it may well stay for now and we'll work around it.  August would be a tough time to test it though....

Bob

NCbob

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 12:28:17 PM »

Just a follow-up on my last comment to Jim Walker.....I called David Haynes today and as you stated, I found him cordial and most enthusiastic to assist me with the proper literature I need to fire this baby up and give it a good test.

So, Thanks again, Jim...you're another shining example of what makes this Board work for all of us.

NCbob

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: