Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 04:38:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much fresh water do you need on board?  (Read 2889 times)
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 06:11:58 AM »

we are 2 adults and 2 kids.  our 5er had a 50 gallon tank and we would go about 4 to 5 days boon docking with washing dishes.  if we used all paper and plastic then maybe 7 days.  in the bus i have a 110 gallon fresh so we should be good for 10 days or so.  i figure after 10 days it's a good idea to fire her up and run her anyway.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 06:12:39 AM »

We have 85 fresh and we get 5 days out of it.   Our 57 gray is maxxed out at 5-days, so I've got a 24v transfer pump to move some of the gray to the black tank(45).  Need to get that hooked up someday.

We go camping 5 or 6 times a year for long weekends, so boondocking is our normal use.

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 02:18:39 AM »

I Guess how much you need is better asked as how much do you want and how much do you want to carry around. Not too many places ive gone where I cant find some. Ive taken on water at truck stops, gas stations, campgrounds and rest areas. When the floor under the water tank gave way, I couldnt trust filling it up full, so I only took on about 30 gallons. With 4 of us conserving it, it lasted several days. I even got a hot shower out of it. I think its nice to have the capacity in case you want to rough it, but learning to conserve it and not needing to carry 1000 pounds of it up and down hills is a great thing to learn.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 05:59:49 AM »

I've had the unpleasant experience of filling up with what the locals called 'good water' but was well below my standards - even for use as bath water.  Sad

We carry all our drinking water in gallon jugs & use the tank water for almost anything except cooking & drinking. The 4 of us can go almost a week on 30 gal of black - 4 days on 30 gal of grey if we're carefull.

I will have as large a capacity of tankage as space will allow - that will provide me with more options. I'll have the flexability to carry the water I want depending on my needs for the trip.  Cool

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 07:23:17 AM »

We lived in a 32-foot fifth-wheel for five years. Travelled all over U.S., Mexico and southern Canada. Had just 65 gallons of fresh and 40 each of black and gray.

Question: Has anybody thought of using the same water TWICE? For example, the water from sinks and showers could be used for toilet flushing? That is the way some of the new "green" houses do it.

And the black water for bathing politicians. Tongue

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »

this summer we put in a RO and hp pump (for efficiency) This is our last word in a discushion about various water quality. 2  fixtures and icemaker line, tasty!

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 05:56:41 AM »

I have reverse osmosis on my house drinking water / ice maker line, and it cycles about 10 gallons of water down the drain for every gallon that it stores in it's pressure tank.  On a well, who cares - but do you revert that waste water from the reverse osmosis back into the fresh tank or to waste?

I have 100 gallon fresh and 100 gallon gray/black.  I like having the gray/black combined since it seems to make dumping a better experience.  I also can honestly say that I've never filled the fresh tank past half way, never needed to yet.  Nice that's it's there, though.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 08:14:47 AM »

I thought it was four to one? anyway it works out for us as we're out 2-3 days at a clip between docks. no we don't recycle excess water at this point, although very doable it has a risk if accidentally left on  at the dock while using dock water (Could blow the tank)....so far so good besides why would I want to drink water??? Cool

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 05:52:01 PM »

Living in the Chicago area we are spoiled with very very good drinking water.

Like Kyle we too have had some experiances with other sources.Not just bad water but over and under pressure as well.

I have 125g and I plan on adding another 100 in the base of the bed.

We always leave full the weight is not a concern for me. We do not take on any water from any outside sources unless nessessary. We always run off our pump never city pressure. We drink it, make ice,no different than home. This makes the camper very comfortable and convienient for us.

IMO put in as large as a tank as you can you will not regret it,specially if you have very good water that you enjoy on the homefront.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
twocnusa

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 06:55:16 AM »

we have 100 gal fresh 100 gal black and 48 gal gray, we have been on the road for over 17 years full-time, with no home base. when we know we will be going into a camp ground we keep the tank about a quarter to a third full. when no campgrounds are pland we fill the tank about 90% . we do alot of boondocking, and we carry a 60 gal water bag in our jeep. so when we go to town we can bring back water as we need it. when we are in a area where we can drain gray to ground, we can stay out about 6 weeks before we have to go dump our black tank.  ron
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 07:31:12 PM »

Speaking of water quality, if you are ever running on I-40 and going by Yucca AZ. ( just 25 miles from the Ca. border) they have a large beige or brown water tank on the north side of town where you can get 85 gallons of really good water for 25 cents. Smiley Been 6 years since we did that so the price may have gone up. Grin  The water comes from a very deep well from what we were told and is about the best water we have ever found in AZ.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Dirtball

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »

Depends on your mission requirements. Going with smaller tanks gives you more space for other gear. The great thing is,  that you can chose what is best for you. I have huge tanks - 190 fresh, 170 gray/black, 300 fuel. With bus air I have limited storage beneath. Buying already done, I had no choice.  Gray/black is nice and easy to dump "anywhere"- almost. I have air valve dump switch at helm, plus macerator , plus standard dump hose. Living in the "sticks " with bus out back , provides full service backup to home well when water problems arise. Big fuel supply fuels my tractor.

1996 MCI DL3 Custom Coach conversion
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: