Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 08:50:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crazy and not crazy "get'er home" fixes and other errors in judgement/hindsight  (Read 4430 times)
JWallin

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 10:53:15 AM »

Well, we didn't have to fix anything in the field...but some years age a friend and I were in the Abaco's (Bahamas) and were preparing to leave when we discovered that the bendix on one of the starters on our Piper Aztec was frozen. We tried beating on it, spraying it with Blaster, talking to it...nothing worked. Since there are no repair services there at all, and the only alternative was to fly in parts and a mechanic from Florida... we decided to prop it. An interesting experience on a cub, a whole different animal when it's a 250 hp I/O 540. Well we finally got her running though it took a while since it was cold, and made it back to Florida. Then Customs made us shut her down for their inspection. Then we got to prop her again to go on home.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 11:10:22 AM »

I could go on and on for get-er home fixes but they wouldn't pass DOT regulations. So I'll keep my mouth shut so I don't get people all upset!
Sad  BK  Sad

BK's most famous one Grin :
blank

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »

I think I would rather take my chances crawling under an air suspended bus without blocks, before I would want to hand prop a big aircraft engine. I recall some old pilot saying something about only propping engines that dont have starter motors. They have starters for a reason, lol.

There was a wrecked Cessna 172 out at the airport. Story was it was cold out and wouldnt start. So the guy jumps it off his car and put his 11 year old son at the controls to hold the brakes. The poor kid couldnt hold it back when it lit and it took off acrosss the ground and stuffed itself between two hangers. Good thing the hangers stopped it. Dont jump start airplanes without licensed pilots at the controls.

We had a guy out at the airport who put his hand on the prop of a Bonanza parked in the hanger, and it started. Someone had left the mags on. The guy put out his hands and grabbed the spinning prop cone, and somehow pushed himself away from it. Dont touch props unless you intend to start one, or die.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 11:19:42 AM »

On my Crown Vic, Ford had a lawsuit that I missed out on. The Intake Manifolds were made of plastic! By the time mine split and I found out about the lawsuit, the time was up for replacing them for free. To get me by while I saved the big buck$ all I did was use JBweld to hold it together. About every 50 miles or so I had to reapply it.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 12:34:38 PM »

I could go on and on for get-er home fixes but they wouldn't pass DOT regulations. So I'll keep my mouth shut so I don't get people all upset!
Sad  BK  Sad

BK's most famous one Grin :

Yes and I'm sure it wasn't approved by DOT having the team push it out of the middle of the road, or the "fix" to get 'er home! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: