Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 07:31:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another member says good bye  (Read 4660 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2010, 04:10:44 PM »

I am leaving, probable for a while and I'll be back, but I have a deep and serious anger at this point in time about the casual approach to basic and fundamental safety shown by far too many on the now-infamous "Air compressor" thread.  I think that when someone, me or anyone, decides to run a decades old commercial vehicle, long past it's useful life, as a hobby there just has to be some acceptance that you have to do it right.  You have to abide by certain fundamental, lowest common denominator levels of quality in what you do.  The idea of running a 30,000 lb  bus on public roads with a faulty air brake system, no compressor, relying on a jury rig of a generator or and inverter running an electric compressor tied into the brake system with a jury rig cross a line in the sand for me.  It's wrong.  It's wrong on many levels, from BG6 having recently lost loved ones to a brake failure accident that, who know, may have been prevented with real and proper maintenance, to an attitude of "I know best, I'm an experienced operator, I can handle it" when you really can't. 

I may be back, because I felt like I had a bit of fun here and sure as heck learned a lot and tried to contribute, but for now, have fun, be safe and try not to die from some bone headed stupid accident.

Moderators, please actually delete my account this time.  I was a trifle offended by deleting it two days ago and nothing happening.

Thank you.

Brian Evans

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 04:23:37 PM »

Hate to see you leave. Hopefully you'll return with a less anal attitude. We are not over the road truck fleets. We're just guys with old busses that someone gave up on (busses and owners! Wink). Most of us never cover several thousand miles a year except for those that know whats going on and are really thorough. Living by dot standards would basically render this forum mute. Best of luck.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 04:33:46 PM »

Personally I find it really sad that you would bail out of a forum which you "had a bit of fun here and sure as heck learned a lot and tried to contribute " and all because you disagree with one persons experience one time which he dared to share with us.
If I quit every time my feelings were hurt or I disagreed with something someone did there would be a revolving door on my account.

I sincerely hope that you do come back but I also hope that you'll lighten up a bit and learn not to let things like that get you so bent out of shape. You just can't allow yourself to get that bothered by it all. Good luck and come back after you cool off. 

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
harpold700 3

72 mc7 8-71 stick

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 04:50:08 PM »

WAH. Cry
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 05:04:26 PM »

Strong fealings and emotions make me get older faster so I make light of things that used to get me worked up. It took me 50 years to learn this and now have a happier life now by ten fold.......relax a bit.....cool down.....drink beer........sometime we will all look back at this and laugh.......peace.....s...

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 05:36:51 PM »

Brian,

Since many of us have buses that constantly make us wonder about the sanity of the PO, it should be of no surprise that lots of questionable things are done.  This is not only true in this hobby but in just about every phase of life.  If you really feel that some are being unsafe, it would be better for you to hang around and promote safer practices.  Who knows, you may even save some lives.  Also, you would continue to learn and benefit from the experiences, both good and bad, of others.  Hope to hear from you soon.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
RichardEntrekin

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 05:40:21 PM »

Brian,

I hope you will reconsider. All of us have different perspectives and different levels of training and understanding on subjects. It is easy to consider someone elses actions as dangerous by what we can assume as commonly known and accepted standards.

I hope that we use the forum as an opportunity to educate others on dangers that we know.  I know I have done some things in the past, such as crawling under an aired up suspension without any safety support, that I wouldn't even think of today. I learned of the danger of my previous action from a forum such as this.

I have a degree in engineering and consider myself a relatively savvy mechanic, yet I made a mistake and NEVER thought about it. Someone, perhaps like you, made me think.

The trick for me is to try to pass on what I have learned without getting preachy about it. All we can do is share what we know, and our reasons for stating our opinions.

I really hope you will reconsider. I have enjoyed your posts and your insight.

Richard Entrekin
95 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Huntington WV

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 05:43:05 PM »

Brian While I agree that it was probably not a safe thing to do and you are correct in pointing it out I think you should lighten up. Taking off because not everyone thinks this guy should be hung is immature. If you had just pointed it out that would have been fine but then you proceeded to hound and nag and insist that everyone agreed with you and if  they did not condemn him you pounced on them also. Take a chill pill . If you feel that you must leave then do so its your loss. IMHO

BG6

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 05:45:16 PM »

Personally I find it really sad that you would bail out of a forum which you "had a bit of fun here and sure as heck learned a lot and tried to contribute " and all because you disagree with one persons experience one time which he dared to share with us.

You don't get it.

He's upset that so many people here are DEFENDING the guy who did it and think that it's no big thing.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 05:48:09 PM »

If you really feel that some are being unsafe, it would be better for you to hang around and promote safer practices.  Who knows, you may even save some lives. 

Oh, yeah, just like everyone is paying attention in the other thread.

The only people who think it's important are the ones who always DID.
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »

we weren't defending him we have some compassion for him

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 06:04:52 PM »

You know as the new guy here I don't feel like I have a dog in this hunt, but I appreciate anyone who shares with me that doing something this or that way may be an unsafe practice.

But I also, appreciate that not everyone falls for the idea that there's only one way to do something...I being one of those.

I am working on a Scenicruiser, and also building an experimental airplane. The FAA is about as anal as anyone! Even though the plane is experimental, I find that I still have to follow FAA guidelines even though they may not call my plane out. CYA.

Having said that, we all need to remember that while doing something a certain way may work fine..maybe even better than the OE design, when we do stray from convention, if an accident occurs the lawyer of any victims is gonna take you down.

The net sometimes makes us sound less personable than we intend, and tempers get flared. I don't think anyone should leave the group, but know when to stop following a subject as it gets out of hand. For sure, don't take things personally, even when you're right and feel like nobody is listening. MHO

Boyce

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »

Brian .just posted to BG6 it goes for you also.safe bussing   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 07:42:42 PM »

bevans6 , I hate to see you announce this for your passion is something we all need to have things sink in. With your reasons you have against something is what a newbee or vet that has not been in a particular situation yet needs. To be honest I would have probably never thought twice of using an electric compressor to get me home. I don't think I would do it now. It's not because I would want to be unsafe but it would be because at the time I would have thought it was a clever idea. Safety is something I take very seriously but it is also something you learn. That's why kids will grab the burner on the stove if not taught not to. We all do stupid things but don't just give up on us. Stay and state you passion and if one or two don't pick up on it fifty of us might. If you really do decide to leave I hope it is not for long and know your participation was appreciated. Good luck in you decision and if you linger and read, feel free if you see something i can use your help on please  PM me. I will keep it our secret  Wink
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 10:36:36 PM »

You don't get it.

He's upset that so many people here are DEFENDING the guy who did it and think that it's no big thing.

No, I fully understand the tantrums from both those involved trying to control and force their will on others and then crying when they don't get their way.

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: