Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 02:33:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another member says good bye  (Read 4733 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 06:27:14 AM »

I'm convinced now.  We all need to get rid of these junkers and buy a brand new Prevost conversion.  Besides, we can fix the economy overnight.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 07:08:44 AM »

Not fair!!! Im a newbee and trying to learn as much as I can about my new to me bus and this strange but exciting world of bus rebuilding. I really NEED people to speak out when something is not DOT and what the problem is so I can learn. I liked what he did with the air compressor (though I have some issue with 1200 miles) I liked it because if Im ever stranded with my kids I will know what to do and because of you guys I will know that what Im doing is illegal and probably unsafe and places I can go to get a new compressor. All of this makes ME a safer driver on the road and helps MY family. Please dont go.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 07:21:23 AM »

Let's all have some understanding when someone decides to leave us. We want them back and it doesn't do any good to make negative comments.

This forum is for Newbies and Seasoned Veterans that have interests in our hobby.

Please follow the rules for posting regarding comments about someone.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
cody

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 07:28:48 AM »

If I become inSALTed, does that make me a seasoned veteran?  ( I can't believe I sunk that low, I'm incredibaly bored this morning I guess, sorry peoples)
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 07:43:55 AM »

Cody, you are such an inspiration1  I think I'm going to go get bored now too.  Thanks for that.

Hand Made Gifts

Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 08:17:08 AM »

Len,

Love your humor in this thread and others, BTW, so as I can get my own New Prevost, Are you hiring.....

Take care, Keep it funny.

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 08:35:20 AM »

I don't think Brian's thoughts should be ignored.  I ran the road for 21 years and 1.3 million miles worth and saw many a crash.  The crashes with S&S motorhomes were unbelievable at times-one of the many reasons I converted a bus.  Now also converting a truck for the same strength issues.

Most don't realize how much energy is built up in a 10-20 ton vehicle-especially with the ease at which the buses run with power steering, automatics, etc.  The destructive force is unbelievable.  Just look at what happened this last week in Santa Barbara when a double bottom dump lost its' brakes and plowed into a house killing all three of a family.

Even though buses do last a long time, they are still commercially built vehicles that are EXPENSIVE to repair and to run.  If you don't have the funds to safely run a bus down the road, keeping the maintenance current, and making sure you're not endangering those around you, then maybe bus converting is not for you, and you should down size to a gas powered rig.

Brian's opinion should not be ridiculed.  We all have our opinions-that's what this board consists of is opinions.  Let's keep it friendly without personal jabbing.  And we'll all benefit from our massive library of human experiences.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 09:50:38 AM »

I may not agree of how it was handled but I had to post a personal story that my wife shared with me.
I had posted it on another thread but will post her also.

One of her best Friends had to plan a funeral for his father.  He was 14years old when his father was killed when a transit bus crushed him.  He was a mechanic working under the bus.

I am not the best when it comes to bus safety.  I would not like to have my kids live without me because i was not safe.

Some safety concerns should be addressed.  Just maybe a different way.

Lonnie

1976 4905
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 10:02:17 AM »

For my part I wholly agree with his point in theory but also the approach was overly strong and doggedly pursued seemingly with the intent on making positive that all would bend to it before he was done.  When that didn't happen he takes his ball and goes home. Well, fine go, I'm very sorry to see anyone leave but if this forum turns to a place where people are ridiculed for sharing a story or an idea even a wrong one then I'll leave. Everyone has a right to a position and a opinion but at some point you just have to let the dog rest. You just cannot force your will on other adults here and then storm off when others disagree with your being in their face.

To me it was all in approach, I usually read nearly all of the posts here and stay neutral 99% of the time even in some doozies but I get sick and tired of people telling me how I will do things according to them even if they make sense. I've been told that if I don't buy brand new tires and even brand X tires then I have no right to own a coach, I've been told that if I don't have a CDL then I have no business behind the wheel, I've been told that if I don't have a large bank roll for any unexpected problems then I have no business owning a bus. All of these by people in this forum! Everyone has to start somewhere sometime and I thought this was a place to come to learn and gain support, not be battered. I've been told many things by many people over the years. You may give me suggestions and apply logic to back it up but like others, I don't respond well to nagging ,force, micromanaging or berating.  I've come a long ways since I first began lurking years ago and then joined but I would have quit or never joined if this was the atmosphere.

I still say that I sincerely hope that all involved will chill out and take a breath, it's just not that important really. You reach those you can with your message (I sound like a religious nut now) and the rest will do as they please. Telling people that they are unwelcome to drive on the same road as you or stay in the same campground as you if they don't toe your line is just idiocy and immature. Chill out, drink a beverage , take a day or three and come back when you're calm and can play better with others. Seriously!  
no harm, no foul, just a lesson on how to speak to others even when you are right in principle.

P.S

Obviously I'm speaking interchangeably of multiple parties.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:06:57 AM by Paladin » Logged

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 10:24:14 AM »

For my part I wholly agree with his point in theory but also the approach was overly strong and doggedly pursued seemingly with the intent on making positive that all would bend to it before he was done.  When that didn't happen he takes his ball and goes home. Well, fine go, I'm very sorry to see anyone leave but if this forum turns to a place where people are ridiculed for sharing a story or an idea even a wrong one then I'll leave. Everyone has a right to a position and a opinion but at some point you just have to let the dog rest. You just cannot force your will on other adults here and then storm off when others disagree with your being in their face.

To me it was all in approach, I usually read nearly all of the posts here and stay neutral 99% of the time even in some doozies but I get sick and tired of people telling me how I will do things according to them even if they make sense. I've been told that if I don't buy brand new tires and even brand X tires then I have no right to own a coach, I've been told that if I don't have a CDL then I have no business behind the wheel, I've been told that if I don't have a large bank roll for any unexpected problems then I have no business owning a bus. All of these by people in this forum! Everyone has to start somewhere sometime and I thought this was a place to come to learn and gain support, not be battered. I've been told many things by many people over the years. You may give me suggestions and apply logic to back it up but like others, I don't respond well to nagging ,force, micromanaging or berating.  I've come a long ways since I first began lurking years ago and then joined but I would have quit or never joined if this was the atmosphere.

I still say that I sincerely hope that all involved will chill out and take a breath, it's just not that important really. You reach those you can with your message (I sound like a religious nut now) and the rest will do as they please. Telling people that they are unwelcome to drive on the same road as you or stay in the same campground as you if they don't toe your line is just idiocy and immature. Chill out, drink a beverage , take a day or three and come back when you're calm and can play better with others. Seriously!  
no harm, no foul, just a lesson on how to speak to others even when you are right in principle.

P.S

Obviously I'm speaking interchangeably of multiple parties.

paladin  I completely agree with your statement.  There are better ways to teach safety without all the anger.         

1976 4905
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 01:52:34 PM »

Lets just hope that lessons were learned by ALL and a return to the forum for those that left. Basically we are for the most part old guys with old busses. Pretty set in our ways!!! Cheesy

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 02:54:52 PM »

My 'ole grandpappy always told me to only worry about things I could do something about.

He was a very smart old guy!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 09:05:38 PM »

I'm convinced now.  We all need to get rid of these junkers and buy a brand new Prevost conversion.  Besides, we can fix the economy overnight.

Whats going on Len? You are knocking down some good comic relief today.

Some here need to be more like Len. He often finds himself in the minority but you don't ever see him tucking tail and running. No! He comes back for more punishment and never complains about it! I don't care what side your on. If you throw down your gun and run you don't have Honor. Chill out everyone, and remember that we are few and have to stay together to keep this hobby doable for the poor bus owners like me. And I almost forgot, where would BK go if we all quit? The least we can do is hold it together for BK! Now back to the front lines soldiers!

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 02:35:21 AM »

My 'ole grandpappy always told me to only worry about things I could do something about.

He was a very smart old guy!!

Gus,

Very sage advice, indeed.

And something I try to live by...

One thing I have learned from mentoring the younger Guys in my in my field of work, is to find a way to make your point that is interesting to them, not necessarily me.

Its a lot easier to get your messsage across when there ears perk up and not the hairs on the back of there necks....

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 05:34:45 AM »

Whats going on Len? You are knocking down some good comic relief today.

Some here need to be more like Len. He often finds himself in the minority but you don't ever see him tucking tail and running. No! He comes back for more punishment and never complains about it! I don't care what side your on. If you throw down your gun and run you don't have Honor. Chill out everyone, and remember that we are few and have to stay together to keep this hobby doable for the poor bus owners like me. And I almost forgot, where would BK go if we all quit? The least we can do is hold it together for BK! Now back to the front lines soldiers!

Thank you for that.  If I didn't feel that my minority position was respected by most folks here, I wouldn't stick around either.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Hand Made Gifts

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: