Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 06:53:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: **** -- I'm out of here too Edited by moderator  (Read 6607 times)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 08:27:43 AM »

People, seriously, some of you seriously need to calm down. I dont believe anyone on this board that has commented is not serious about safety. I dont hear anything like that at all. What I do hear, and I think this is the big issue, is some people want everyone to comply to the letter of the law "as they see it", or pull it over and get a $$$$$ tow. I'm very sorry to admit this to you, but some of us are a lil bit rebelious and conservative with our time and money, and believe were smart enough to work around a problem. In fact, that "can do" spirit is what this Nation was built on. Its what put us on the Moon before anyone else in the world.

Its great that some choose to follow the letter of the law (as they see it) and get a DOT inspection, but I will tell you right now, that that inspection is only as good as the person who inspected it, and its only good for as long as it took him to put his flashlight away. I worked on light general aviation aircraft for a while. Do you realise that an aircraft is its most dangerous just after being returned to service? Do you know how many times wheels come off big rigs after leaving a tire shop? If your only frame of reference for safety is only an annual DOT inspection, and you feel your good to go for another year without ever looking things over, I am not so certain anyone would want to be sharing the road with you either. Its of primary importance that a driver of any vehicle have at least a basic understanding of major operating systems that pertain to safety and that they are able to diagnose a problem and know how to correct it. The FAA argues that the pilot in command has the final say to whether an aircraft is safe to fly. I feel its the same with a bus. The FAA issues Ferry permits all the time so people can get their plane back home, and those aircraft are NOT certified as airworthy. They are often worn out and flying jerry rigged. You have to keep things in perspective.

I have a pair of pliers I found up inside the wing of a Cessna. They have the mans name engraved in them. I showed them to Bob and he lauged. He handed them back and said thats why you dont put your name on your tools. If yo really think everyone out there is infalible, your not being realistic.

Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 01:21:25 PM »

As a pilot and a mechanic I remember that the anal FAA allows pilots to break any rule that they see fit to get their Airplane down safely. They must think people can use good judgement from time to time.

John
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:42:03 PM by Jriddle » Logged

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 01:35:48 PM »

Anyone who would buy an old bus which is no longer fit for service, and convert it into a house on wheels, already has their sanity in serious question.  Why would you mess with someone like that, you could very well push them over the edge.  Here we even have some who have done it multiple times, the very definition of insanity.

Don't screw with us! Tongue

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 02:04:47 PM »

Oh, and I'm also going to get my HF air compressor installed in the bay and connected into the air system, so I can avoid the high shipping charges on that spare!
This was way too funny.  

Did this belong in the last thread  about air compressors or does this whole thread belong in the air compressor thread. I'm confussed I guess. Three pages here and six there and a few posts in the last person quitting thread. Hard to keep up with all the different threads about the same things.  

Have to agree on many posts here about the way things are posted. I would guess most that take on a bus and or a conversion are the type of people that don't like to be told what to do. Other wise we would have bought an over price S&S that was built by a manufacture for the purpose of being a Motorhome. Instead we all become mechanic, carpenter, plumber,electrician, engineer, and need to try to follow all the rules that don't always make sense. I am glade to have knowledgeable people helping me learn to function in all of the above career fields. I don't need anyone making me feel stupid for my innocent posts. Hope all that leave come back to play ball it is more fun that way.

John
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:07:35 PM by Jriddle » Logged

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 07:07:56 PM »

Do you think that motorhomes would pass DOT inspections??

Absolutely not.  Which is why I think that every vehicle over 10,000# should be subject to mandatory annual DOT inspections.

I ALWAYS want  to be safe -- I'm not sure I want the government to tell me what that is

You know my opinion about big gummit so you'll know how hard it is for me to say that I think we need more gummit in this matter.  Your comment is precisely the problem - we all THINK we're being safe.  But we have NEC because what you think is electrically safe and what I think is safe may not always be safe.  And we have DOT inspections for commercial rigs because what individual operators think about safety isn't adequate.  Based on the comments I have read here I am more than ever convinced that individual responsiblity isn't adequate for large RVs either.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 07:18:47 PM »

Hey, if you think that my bus is unsafe, stay off my roads!

You don't have to believe everything you think.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »

Do you think that motorhomes would pass DOT inspections??

Absolutely not.  Which is why I think that every vehicle over 10,000# should be subject to mandatory annual DOT inspections.

Yeah, because we all know how safe that will make everything. NOT. The statistics are so far against you on this line of thinking its not really funny. Why do think insurance rates are so low for RV's? Why do you think licensing is so simple for converting an RV? Do you believe its because they are all plowing through crowds of pedestrians because they are unsafe?

I think its the other way around. The lighter the vehicle, the more restrictions they need on the idots driving them. Including motorcycles.
cody

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 07:52:20 PM »

I resemble that remark.
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 07:31:14 PM »

i wouldent worry too much, as a $$ generating ploy i am sure they will require everyone and everything to bow down and be inspected. Carefull what you wish for.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 06:18:15 AM »

Who ever told any of us that we were EVER going to be 100% totally safe in this life??? Man, if someone really convinced you of that they were full of it. You're on a moving planet with 6 billion other folks that are at times just as flawed and goofy as we all can be at times.

A month ago we were on our way back from Glacier and an 18 wheeler (shiny, clean, perfect appearance couldn't have been more than 2 years old and would have passed DOT anywhere) mysteriously went from the right lane through the left lane crossed the divider in north dakota (which is really steep) and somehow by the grace of God the dude saved it and didn't kill or maim the gaggle of cars coming in the opposite direction. He obviously fell asleep and woke back up. So how do we regulate that? How do we make it so no one ever reaches for a cigarette lighter or turns around to check on their kids or spills coffee and loses control or?? or??

Stuff happens.

All the preparations, seat belts, abs systems, in the world didn't stop the 2X4 from breaking from the retaining straps on a lumber truck a few years back and killing a guy on a freeway we were traveling.

I know, I know "if the guy wouldn't have tightened the retaining straps too tight the board wouldn't have fell off. "Safety safety safety right?

That doesn't explain how the board jumped completely over two semi's and bounced absolutely flawlessly off of a pickup truck into a perfectly horizontal position and went through the unlucky guys window in a 12" diameter killing bullseye ( I mean 2" to the left or right and the guy is telling his buddy's about his close call or a little lower and a few inches to the right or left and he loses an arm) but no on this day it just "happens" to hit him in the center of the forehead and kills him.
We would all have to quit driving our buses, quit flying, quit driving our cars, quit going to the supermarket because "you never know.... right?" and guess what we would still have accidents, heart attacks and strokes. Oh wait, they have a name for that it's called agoraphobia. ; Shocked Shocked

Jim Morrison of the doors didn't say much that struck me in his drug stupor of a life (which ended in a bath tub in France, man those french and their lax Heroin standards and regulations!) but " no one gets out of here alive" comes to mind here.

For those looking to be safe, I commend you, and I am with you 100 percent I have kids and I do my best to see that my bus is safe for them and everyone else.

For those in this thread that thought they arrived in a perfect place where we can control everything in our lives and make this rock we live on %100 safe.

You got delivered to the wrong address, try entering this one in your future travel plans instead.

Heaven.

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 07:42:39 AM »

If You do not like the way I drive My bus stay off the sidewalk!  Who gave out the womb to tomb certificates anyways?  John L
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2010, 06:18:51 PM »

A big difference between anal and annual. This is not a dot blog. I have found that people that push issues as such have little common sense and in all actuality should not be owners of conversions to begin with. It just makes me wonder why they even post here. Because they know so much or because they think they know so much? I just get perturbed that someone with no common sense thinks that everyone else doesn't have any common sense and can't operate a bus under dire circumstances. Did they ever think that some of us may be smarter than they are?  Roll Eyes

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2010, 06:34:30 PM »

Im thinking we may have beaten the dead horse enough already. I looked at a Bus the other day. No kidding, it was just off dead horse mountain road. I wondered if there was a dead horse cemetary up there. Nope, just a Bus. But it was out of air, if anyone cares.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2010, 03:56:49 PM »

Ned,

Like Zub, I have spring brakes on my 4104 and they are great. I hate to think of doing without them.

I think they're slightly smaller cans in order to fit inside the close space but they do fit.

This has been discussed in the past year or two.

I don't know how they were installed since they were installed when i got the bus.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »

The RV industry would lobby to the bitter end if DOT inspections came to RVs.  A lot of RV companies are barely surviving as it is.

Even worse than DOT inspections for the RV industry would be the requirement of CDLs or similiar and all the HOS and other regulations.  You might as well write the obituary for the RV industry if that eve happened.  I would give up my conversion if CDLs were required as none of my friends would ever pay for all that BS.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: