Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 08:26:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well I went and did it this time  (Read 2793 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 11:36:11 AM »

I beleive I am getting your drift on the parabola.

Well I dug out the broken dome pieces amd branches.  What the heck I powered it up.  I spins and locks on the satelites so next step is book a box up to it and find another dome.

Wow, if you spin and lock then I'd say you are in great shape...except for the dome. I dunno here, maybe totally wrong material and cost may be way out of line but vacuum formed plastic? There is a shop around here that does the kind of stuff but I'd bet the setup cost would be pretty high for a one off piece.
I wonder if a dome off of other brands could also fit? At least that would open up the spectrum a bit.

Time for the Saran wrap Grin Grin   !!

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 01:04:36 PM »

If replacement domes are not easily available, I would guess that you could use just about anything the covers the mechanism without obstructing its function. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 01:13:32 PM »

Well aside from physical things like maybe a twig or leaves falling into the mechanism or on the dish or slush and snow I don't really see why it needs any cover at all. Maybe put a screen (nylon, not metal) over it and see how that goes?

-Dave
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:22:22 PM by Paladin » Logged

8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 01:34:07 PM »

It has exposed electronics. Has to be covered.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 01:55:48 PM »

It has exposed electronics. Has to be covered.

Having never actually been inside one I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the clarification, I guess a cover is in order.

8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 02:04:05 PM »

There are some really delicate looking electronics, tiny gears, belts ect.  I pulled it into the barn and I am still worried about dust getting in.  The dime looks easy to replace.  As far as I can tell it is 4 bolts and a sticky rubber gasket.  I looked on the tracstar website but it mentions nothing about replacement parts.  If it is to much of a pain in the arse I am going to call my insurance agent.  I might just take it into the shop and have them go through Otto check it out.  If is broken then now is the time to find out.  I might wind up having to replace the system.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 02:06:40 PM »

If it's toast send it to me if you are done with it, I'd love to tinker with it and see if I could find a reasonable dome solution. Don't want to mess with mine.

-Dave

8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 02:14:18 PM »

If it is in fact toasted you are welcome to it. 

www.snakebreaker.com
cody

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 02:18:27 PM »

Call trina at RV Surplus and tell her you need an empty dome.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 05:06:12 PM »

What about a big plastic tub over it for temporary protection, until you find a dome? 
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »

Radomes, which is what that piece is, are designed for minimum signal loss.  A substitute may work OK but probably not as well as the original.  Protection from the elements, of course, is a different thing; whatever works.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 06:18:37 PM »

Call trina at RV Surplus and tell her you need an empty dome.

Will do!!

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 01:15:08 PM »

I called Tracstar today.  $85 plus shipping.  Not to bad!!!

www.snakebreaker.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: