Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 05:45:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: maiden voyage  (Read 2559 times)
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2010, 06:27:26 AM »

The bus is finished and we are all packed.  Will be rolling out in about an hour.  Leaving Keota OK heading west through Stigler then north on hwy 2 to I40.  From there west on I40 to AZ and the grand canyon.  It's been two long months and I am excited to finally be back on the road again.  Just can't take sitting in a house any more.  lol.  God Bless.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 06:31:16 AM »

Good for you, get out and see the country. If coming thru Vegas, stop in for some coffee any time. good luck and safe travels.

Van

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 11:33:38 AM »

I'm jealous.  I wish I was on the road.  Please keep up posted on the travels.  Have a great time.

David
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 04:22:13 PM »

Good luck and have fun! I feel your anticipation as our big trip to the "Bus Rally Trifecta" is one month away! My finger is itching to hit the start button!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 08:21:37 PM »

well, we made 380 miles on our first day of the maiden voyage.  stopped in Groom TX for the night.  So far we have had fairly minor incodences which could have been worse but was really no biggy.  First item, tried to start the genny to turn on the ac when things started warming up a bit.  Pushed the button and nothing happened.  A quick check of things revealed that a case of oil placed on top of the battery box had bumped the test button on the main battery circuit breaker switch.  No problem there.

About 150 miles into the trip the wife needed to go to walmart so i pulled into the lot and as she headed for wally i made a circle around the bus with the ir thermometer shooting all the tires, wheel bearings, brake drums etc.  as i round the back of the bus she just dies.  The overheat alarmstat shut her down.  turns out i had a heater hose blow out and must have just happened as i pulled into the lot.  Off to Oreilys for a hose and several gallons of anti freeze.  filled her all up and every thing seems to be ok.  Thank God for the alarmstats, disaster averted. 

Oh, and the bedroom gets WAY hot back there.  we shut the bedroom door to try and keep some of the heat out of the front.  gonna have to do something about that.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
bobsw

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 08:30:22 PM »

Bus. Finished?Huh? no way.

73 MCI-7
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 07:24:23 PM »

Bus. Finished?Huh? no way.

yeah, i guess that was a rather loose translation of the word.  Finished?  not quite.  Temporarily complete?  maybe.  As long as wife and kids are on board there will always be something that needs done.  I forgot how much 'fun' it is to drive an older vehicle, one that always needs something done.  Wonder if i'll ever get to a point where i can make a trip without getting greasy for one reason or another?  probably not.  Guess i better just accept the fact that i may be ....a....bus.....nut.....

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 07:29:52 PM »

our trip has come to a temporary stop.  we are in an rv park in Albuquerque.  Had some parts shipped 'overnite' yesterday that were supposed to be here this morning so we could be on our way.  we were planning on doing the grand canyon over the weekend then on to Nevada.  Evidently i should have been more clear about which nite i wanted the parts shipped over.  Now we get to hang out here till tuesday.  UPS said there was a driver error, and the parts just got put on the plane at 6:30 this evening.  BAD UPS, BAD UPS!!  glad we left some extra days in our travel plans.

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 04:01:10 AM »

What happened to cause an emergency shipment of parts?  I hope nothing too too serious!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 06:00:13 AM »

yeah, i guess that was a rather loose translation of the word.  Finished?  not quite.  Temporarily complete?

I like the term Temporarily Finished.  I think that is what most of our buses are.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 08:34:01 AM »

What happened to cause an emergency shipment of parts?  I hope nothing too too serious!

Brian

bus is safe, the generator is the problem.  no genny=no otr a/c

the wire that grounds the coil to shut down the generator was routed incorrectly from factory which allowed it to melt against the cylendar head.  when it melted against the cylindar head somehow the diode that protects the control board blew and took out the control board and both coils.  control board was a normally stock item for the service center, but not the coil packs.  so, we are waiting for the coil packs to arrive.

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 06:38:37 AM »

Well we got the parts in and back on the road.  Went as far as Flagstaff.  Some really rough road, broke a water line on the water heater and made a mess on the floor, but everything cleaned up ok with no permenant damage.  Had another 1/2" pipe nipple so fixed the breakage, only lost maybe 10 gallons of water.  as i was doing a walk around after fixing the water line i noticed the hitch riser connected to the blue ox for the truck wasn't looking right.  after close inspection I found a crack next to a weld, so we had to unhitch the truck and the wife had to follow behind in to Flagstaff, only about 50 miles.  Gotta get that fixed/replaced this morning as soon as someone opens.  The oil leaks are still running strong, so tightening all them bolts did nothing.  This has been an eventfull maiden voyage so far.  We left Oklahoma 9 days ago and have managed to make it close to a thousand miles so far.  Things could have been much worse though, like an engine or tranny or something.  so I am thankful they have all been minor issues that were easily averted, even if it has taken a few extra days.

As for the oil leak, as i described in another thread, the majority of the oil is looking like it is coming from under the blower.  pooling large amounts on the top of the block at the base of the blower in front and back of the blower.  Is there something i should be looking for at these areas?  When we get to our destination later today i can remove the air intake and look into the blower if I need to do that.  Can someone guide me on what I should be looking for as a possible source of the oil leak?  I was assuming blower seals or gaskets, but I don't know.  Am I on the right track?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 06:52:18 AM »

Derick, there is a !/4 inch oil supply to the blower on the back of the engine on top about 3 inches long has small rubber seals that is probably where you leak is coming from or the coupling seal on the about 3 inches around if the clamp broke it will leak there or if someone used a plastic tie around it just replaced one where a guy used a zip tie and wondered why he had a leak.
I would love to help you with photos but I cannot post photos, if you cannot stop the leak and can make it to Needles Ca and 6 miles north on 95 to Mohave AZ I will be happy to help you and if you do need a blower I have a couple here but if you are not blowing a gray smoke yours is ok when the seals go they smoke like crazy and oil pours from the drain tubes

good luck
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:20:04 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 10:15:59 PM »

luvrbus, (Cliff is it?) It only smokes a little when cold, and only under load.  once up to op temp no smoke at all.  No oil coming out of tubes at all.  i will be coming right by you this weekend on my way north to nevada, probably saturday most likely.  i will pull the access under the bed and get a better look on friday.  When i was in there last week the 3" tube seemed good shape and tight clamps, don't know about the 1/4" oil line though.  It's leaking pretty good at the front of the blower too.  There is a lot of pooling at both ends of the blower.  If your gonna be around say saturday i just might take you up on your offer.  Sure would be nice not to have to dump in a gallon of oil every 500 miles or so.  The truck is really starting to look nasty.  not to mention at around $10 or more a gallon it adds up quick.  And it's getting harder to find.

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 05:09:05 AM »

Please keep updating this, since I have about the exact same problem I am very interested in what you find.  I also get about 600 or so miles to the gallon, with very similar symptoms.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: