Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 09:01:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOO HOO! I WON! Back to the bus :)  (Read 2532 times)
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »

Well after nearly a week of shopping 4 tanks of fuel and dealing with EVERY sleaze ball rv salesmen......The wife has thrown in the towel and given me another 6 months Smiley We'll be Spreading soot leaving Grand Island Ne to Nashville Tn On 9-18 and will spread the trip over a week! So any suggestions for Carpentry assistance or Will work for food/beverage in that direction GREATLY appreciated! She just couldn't get over how "small" the S&S units are compared to the ol'bus!

Woo HOO!

Eric
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:24:48 PM »

That's great news! Now go have some fun! Sure hope you find that assistance in carpentry you are looking for, maybe it's in you, just need to bring it forward!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 07:00:11 PM »

are you moving to nashville? what do you need for cabinets? have a kitchen sink? stove?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:10:43 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 07:19:01 PM »

Coool

I like stories with a happy ending!!!

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
cody

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 07:22:33 PM »

Lots of sawdust pilers around the next corner lol.
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »

That's how I got mine. She said all we really need is a nice camper. After I took her to see every nice one she found on the computer she seen how really junk they were. Now I just rib her every time I see on. "That could have been us!"
Eric

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 09:54:47 PM »

Paul- I hope your right! We hope to be tent camping the TBR as not to injure the budget any worse this year....was hoping our job schedules would let us make it a "stop" but we need to be at next job a week prior! Smiley

robertglines1- We have all that I bought everything in the beginning I just can't seem to put it all together Smiley The kitchen was the #1 thing i did wife is a chef! however it's still all just temp no walls just cabinets poorly hung from the ceiling and such....We travel full time and have taken a job in Nashville this winter again!

Melbo-Thanks I can only hope it stays that way!

Cody-Where do you live again Wink I've heard things of YOUR sawdust piles and what comes out of em!

eddiepotts- We looked at a 61,000 5th wheel (open Range) when i leaned on the wall to tie my shoe it gave! Wifey saw this and said "OH HELL NO" LOL Smiley

Thanks All
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 05:09:50 AM »

I live in Evansville Indiana..SW corner. If on your way to Music city you would like to visit could help for a day or two..on forth home built conversion..walls? none? pocket doors? pictures of where you are?   We run to Nashville just to eat and or shop about 3 hrs away...Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
cody

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 05:44:55 AM »

We are in northern michigan up by Lake Superior, right at the base of the Keweenaw Penninsula, small town called Baraga at the foot of Keweenaw bay.  I can't lay claim to anything special, just enjoy making small pieces of wood out of larger ones.
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 07:00:47 AM »

We looked at a 61,000 5th wheel (open Range) when i leaned on the wall to tie my shoe it gave! Wifey saw this and said "OH HELL NO" LOL Smiley

Thanks All

Nice trick  when did you come up with that convincing charade Smiley Smiley

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 07:22:12 AM »

I'm in the same boat, and the opposite of Cody ( never ever worked with wood), but figured what the heck I'll give it a try. Ended up with some basic wood shop tools, R arm saw, table saw, router table and had at it. Now we are pre fabing the kitchen in our garage, currently working on the pantry section, can't wait to install it as pressure from the Queen is getting intense. Grin Grin

Still have all my fingers and toes so far LOL! Good luck. Van

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Hcklbery

Home to Disabled Vet.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 07:51:31 AM »

That looks soooo great, It's Really gonna come together nicely. That's really good carpentry work, NO WAY it looks amateurish. Looks real professional.
Don't ya just love working with your hands like that Huh

BUSNUTS RULE...

This is a 64 4106 4 sp shft 8v71/Appreciate ANY advice/info. A complete Novice.
Eric

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 05:18:38 PM »

Van-Looks Good! I just found our campground in Nashville is letting us park the bus in the new shop for the winter! We are going to Take EVERYTHING OUT of the bus and try to get the walls in...that'll be a GREAT start for us!

Cody-You crack me up!

roberglines1- If ANYONE wants to come help in Nashville Your stay is free Smiley and so is the fine meal my wifey shall provide :0
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 05:44:04 PM »

When you come to TBR I'll show you what we did. I had no prior experience either, just learned as I went. We are very happy with the result.

This was our last creation. Becky finished the bed spread the other day to match our Route 66 theme.

The bedroom still needs some work, one day it will be then I'll tackle the rest.

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 06:04:35 PM »

Actually, and I'm sure Eric will agree, the hardest part is having a place to work on them and then throw in the fact that you may be living in it. Then let's add on tools and such. I take my business and storage building for granted but what would I do without them? Actually my biggest problem is finding time to do odds and ends much less get in the ole girl and head off!! Some day if I ever get the time!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Eric

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 09:10:24 PM »

Paul- Looking forward to it!

Scott- You hit the nail on the head....the original plan was to work on the bus all LAST summer without being in it! however circumstances ALWAYS seem to change don't they?  We've quickly learned to adapt to the "Steel Tent" gig but it gets old after a year!
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 06:25:40 AM »

Hey thanks for the compliments. Just so's you all know this, picking up a piece of wood was something I was not to crazy about, at least not till Paul mentioned the Kreg Tool in an earlier post. I will let Paul elaborate on this little jewel, but now I find myself making big pieces of wood out of little ones LOL! Very therapeutic I might add as well as satisfying,give it a try and you won't be disappointed. all the best and good luck

thanks Paul
          Van Wink Grin 

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 06:55:43 AM »

Keep in mind, I'm no cabinet maker! My tools are very limited and I use the great outdoors as my shop to build what we need. Someone like cody has all the tools to make it professional.

I have used the following:
Ryobi cordless drill, circular saw, corded drill set up with the Kreg bit, various clamps and good wood glue. I do not have a table saw, but do have a nice Sears router, with plunge capabilities.

As I can't make the fancy dovetail and various joints used by a real cabinet maker, I resorted to using the Kreg Tool. It makes for a nice way of joining pieces of either soft or hard wood. You have to use their special screws for the type of wood you are working with. You also can buy their plugs to cap off the hole, I didn't do that. I purchased all my Kreg stuff at Lowes.

Here you can learn all about it http://www.kregtool.com/

I was amazed at how easy it is to make up cabinets, the first one was OK but the last one was much better!

Just keep your digits away from meat eating tools and you'll do just fine, Safety First.

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 07:39:28 AM »

however circumstances ALWAYS seem to change don't they?

Yeah, Life is what happens while ya'll are busy making plans.  I second Paul's comments on the Kreg tool, neatest thing since sliced bread.  Easy to use, inexpensive (compared to other joinery tool systems) and strong joints, especially if you use a little carpenters glue in addition to the screws.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: