Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 10:58:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOO HOO! I WON! Back to the bus :)  (Read 2490 times)
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 09:10:24 PM »

Paul- Looking forward to it!

Scott- You hit the nail on the head....the original plan was to work on the bus all LAST summer without being in it! however circumstances ALWAYS seem to change don't they?  We've quickly learned to adapt to the "Steel Tent" gig but it gets old after a year!
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 06:25:40 AM »

Hey thanks for the compliments. Just so's you all know this, picking up a piece of wood was something I was not to crazy about, at least not till Paul mentioned the Kreg Tool in an earlier post. I will let Paul elaborate on this little jewel, but now I find myself making big pieces of wood out of little ones LOL! Very therapeutic I might add as well as satisfying,give it a try and you won't be disappointed. all the best and good luck

thanks Paul
          Van Wink Grin 

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 06:55:43 AM »

Keep in mind, I'm no cabinet maker! My tools are very limited and I use the great outdoors as my shop to build what we need. Someone like cody has all the tools to make it professional.

I have used the following:
Ryobi cordless drill, circular saw, corded drill set up with the Kreg bit, various clamps and good wood glue. I do not have a table saw, but do have a nice Sears router, with plunge capabilities.

As I can't make the fancy dovetail and various joints used by a real cabinet maker, I resorted to using the Kreg Tool. It makes for a nice way of joining pieces of either soft or hard wood. You have to use their special screws for the type of wood you are working with. You also can buy their plugs to cap off the hole, I didn't do that. I purchased all my Kreg stuff at Lowes.

Here you can learn all about it http://www.kregtool.com/

I was amazed at how easy it is to make up cabinets, the first one was OK but the last one was much better!

Just keep your digits away from meat eating tools and you'll do just fine, Safety First.

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 07:39:28 AM »

however circumstances ALWAYS seem to change don't they?

Yeah, Life is what happens while ya'll are busy making plans.  I second Paul's comments on the Kreg tool, neatest thing since sliced bread.  Easy to use, inexpensive (compared to other joinery tool systems) and strong joints, especially if you use a little carpenters glue in addition to the screws.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: