Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 04:42:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheel Studs  (Read 836 times)
Skykingrob

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2010, 07:29:58 PM »

Hi Guys
I have a 91 Prevost as most of you know. I bought new aluminum wheels this past week for the steers and on Saturday, moved the tires over from the existing steel wheels to the new aluminum wheels. I thought ahead of time I probably would need longer wheel studs but I thought I would wait to see if that were the case. When I installed and torqued the new aluminum wheels down to 450 pounds per the manual, the lug nuts came just even with the end of the existing wheel studs. I have been told that the wheel studs should extend 4-5 threads beyond the lug nut to be safe. So, I took the wheel off and tried to remove the wheel studs. I was able to remove the nut and washer from the back side of the hub without difficulty but no matter what I did to the stud, I could not get it out. I tried using a pipe wrench to unscrew it (both directions but first counterclockwise on the passenger side), no good. I pounded on the stud from the backside of the hub with a 3 pound sledge, no good. I tied everything I knew and was not successful in getting the studs out. I looked at the maintance manual and all it says is the studs would need to be replaced but did not tell how to do it.  The existing studs are marked R8 and L8. So, what tricks (advise) do you have to help me get the job done? Thanks in advance.

Rob
91 Prevost LeMirage XL40
Missouri
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 07:42:22 PM »

I used a air hammer with a blunt bit...the vibration seems to knock them loose..squirt of pentrating oil may help..Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 07:44:24 AM »

Rob - you may not need to change the studs at all - my 89 came with aluminum wheels from the factory, and the nuts on the steers and the tags are about even with the ends of the studs on both - none stick out past the nut.  May be worth a call to the Prevost tech line - they show a number of studs for this model in the online parts catalog but no description - they will be able to tell you the length over the phone and then you can check them out and maybe save yourself a lot of work and aggravation!!!

Steve
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »

Rob, you need to talk to Prevost82, he has a solution but you might not like it!   Talk to Ron and get the information from him!   I ran into the same thing, Prevost doesn't make a longer stud to accommodate aluminum wheels!   Good luck

Pat
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:02:43 AM by muddog16 » Logged

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: