Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 11:08:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hot Rod 2 stroke Detroit  (Read 4824 times)
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 10:22:36 AM »

tomc

would love to use that door but it has my transmission cooler. removed it from the radiator to help keep my engine from frying heads. just can't seem to find a place for the air to air cooler.

MY engine is not a ta just a hopped up 6v92 with a turbo.

uncle ned
huggy bear

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 12:42:09 PM »

Then again if you really want to hot rod a Detroit check out http://www.bandagbullet.com/bulletspecs.htm
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 07:29:13 PM »

Jerry has got the "cooling, cooling and more cooling" thing right. Building high HP 2 strokes isn't especially challenging....cooling it in the back of a bus will be. 650 HP 6V92TT are common enough in high perf marine applications...but they have a very large heat sink. 500 HP 6V92Ts are (were) common in fire apparatus. You can find used and fresh reman military (tank) 8V71Ts on Ebay...450 HP.
Wet liner engines are typically easier to cool than cast cylinders...they may have shortcomings for drag racing, but in a bus...have to weigh the benefits carefully. An 8V92T is hard to beat (in a 2 stroke) for 500 HP in stock form...still, most older buses don't have the rad area to cool such an animal. Have to reconstruct the coach with a Flexible style air scoop on top with a BIG radiator behind it. Clearly it could be done.
BTW Kyle, why not just jack up the SC and set it on a Cat 8 big truck chassis. Everything you need for mid-engine...hook up the air and maybe add an automatic and away you go...you'll need a little welding..but? I don't do details. Wink
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Burgermeister

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 07:48:05 PM »

Mais non, Miseur!

8V92's, intelligently managed, can be cooled,  if you also drive them right.   

Attend the "All you never wanted to know about cooling systems but were afraid to ask seminar at Arcadia in January!

Between RJ Long, Bob Sheaves and yours truly,  most of the mysteries and old wive's tales on cooling should be cleared up!

Onward and Upward

Marc Bourget
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2006, 01:28:57 AM »

Just to show what cooling is needed- My first truck had the 8V-92TA with 435hp and 1265lb/ft torque.  It had a 1370 sq in 5 row copper/brass radiator that is the same size that is used for a Cat 550hp with 1850lb/ft torque.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2006, 05:38:57 AM »

BTW Kyle, why not just jack up the SC and set it on a Cat 8 big truck chassis. Everything you need for mid-engine...hook up the air and maybe add an automatic and away you go...you'll need a little welding..but? I don't do details. Wink
JR

That's the beauty of fantasies & bench racing, you don't need to bother with details. they just spoil the fun!!!  Grin  Grin

(BTW, that truck chassis was exactly what I was thinking of doing.... you know, a center bed room with a side asile, yadda, yadda, yadda.......)

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2006, 09:24:08 AM »

Hey kyle

Since were dreaming Roll Eyes

Fix one bus for camping and travling

By somepontoons and turn one into a houseboat.  It'd work as a canal cruiser too, don,t for get the high dive Grin
or put an awning on it, hang some hammocks in it and make it a lakehouse/cabin. Smiley

Now the other one , lift up and make a hover craft,  save on air bags and tires and still would have the air ride suspension Grin, could go almost any where, use aturbine engine and you want have to worry about the fans and radiators.   Shocked

More buses means more options and more dreaming available. Cheesy

Us single bussers will have to dream vicariously through you multibussers Grin

Couldn.t resist,  just funnin ya! Cheesy

Cool

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: