Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 02:21:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What thing(s) would indicate a bus was never used as a hound or fleet service ?  (Read 2713 times)
Bill in KS

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »

Taking a trip to look at a MCI 8 on Sunday and current owner stated it never was a " hound" or " in service".  I was curious what would / should show up if it truely had been a private RV conversion bus all of its life.
Thanks for any information

Bill in KS

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:04:37 PM »

Bill, do you have the serial number?  If so a couple of the guys here can tell you the history of it.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:22:30 PM »

No.   Where would it be located on a mci8?

I can contact the owner tomorrow.

thanks
Bill in KS

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 10:47:22 PM »

above the entry door, and inside the radiator blower compartment at the rear.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 05:46:12 AM »

I have been told that if it was used by Greyhound, the fuel cap will twist about 1/4 turn to open, If not used by Greyhound, you lift the overcenter lever to open the fuel cap. I know my MC-8 started as a Greyhound, I have a copy of the original build order from MCI, showing that it was delivered to Greyhound East on 11/3/73. It has the twist stryle fuel cap.  Best bet is to post the serial & unit number on here.  Good luck, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 06:02:43 AM »

Here are the ways to tell if it's s ex Hound.
Do you have to turn on the chime and step light to crank he bus?
Is there a in station air conditioning door located on the left side of the coach  down below the 1st passenger window the door is 6"X6" approx size?
Does it have the aux fuel tank in the fwd baggage bin?
In each baggage bin look for loading decals yellow and white in color?
Is there a small electrical cover door above the steering compartment for in station lighting?
Roll the destination sign through from one end to the other does it have America on it ?
Also open the lavatory door and look to your right about knee height and there is a access door to clean out the paper waste basket look on the wall facing the side of rear seat and with a strong flash light see if the US Department of Sanitation  sticker is in place it will tell you who bought the bus new from MCI/TMC.
Now if it has a 4 speed non automatic transmission it's not a ex hound all hound MCI's after some of the last MC-7's were automatic transmissions.
Good luck.
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 06:12:10 AM »

Our coach had everything you listed except the chime and step light interlock.  Jack

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 06:25:26 AM »

Look for a lot of holes for license plates or the 2 rails for the plates at the bottom, on  a Eagle you can tell by a piece of the siding missing under the windshield in the center some people try and hide that section but it is impossible with out replacing the front end siding it always shows

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
cody

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 06:41:39 AM »

The easiest way to tell is if it is listed on Ebay, all buses listed on ebay were never hounds because that would indicate an abundance of miles and they were all also recently rebuilt.  Grin
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 08:13:44 AM »

my bus has/had everything mentioned above, but it was originally delivered to a private charter line in Kentucky.  never was a hound. 

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »

Serial number: S11718 and unit number: 31871 
thanks for any help
Bill

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »

I have been told that if it was used by Greyhound, the fuel cap will twist about 1/4 turn to open, If not used by Greyhound, you lift the overcenter lever to open the fuel cap. I know my MC-8 started as a Greyhound, I have a copy of the original build order from MCI, showing that it was delivered to Greyhound East on 11/3/73. It has the twist stryle fuel cap.  Best bet is to post the serial & unit number on here.  Good luck, Jack

Jack,
Are you suggesting that maybe a Trailways or other if not Greyhound?
Mine does not have a twist style but has the pull center lever type fuel cap, I also don't have stickers in the bays.

Here are the ways to tell if it's s ex Hound.
Do you have to turn on the chime and step light to crank he bus?
Is there a in station air conditioning door located on the left side of the coach  down below the 1st passenger window the door is 6"X6" approx size?
Does it have the aux fuel tank in the fwd baggage bin?
In each baggage bin look for loading decals yellow and white in color?
Is there a small electrical cover door above the steering compartment for in station lighting?
Roll the destination sign through from one end to the other does it have America on it ?
Also open the lavatory door and look to your right about knee height and there is a access door to clean out the paper waste basket look on the wall facing the side of rear seat and with a strong flash light see if the US Department of Sanitation  sticker is in place it will tell you who bought the bus new from MCI/TMC.
Now if it has a 4 speed non automatic transmission it's not a ex hound all hound MCI's after some of the last MC-7's were automatic transmissions.
Good luck.

I'm no pro by any means so a few questions:

I thought the chime and step light were commonly overridden?
Also thought the in-stations air and power were options that not all buses were equipped with?
I was also under the impression that not all got the aux tanks?

I really don't know the history of my bus though I know it was used to carry people, lot's of people judging by the trash found under the floors. I don't have any aux power or air connections. No aux tank and I can  start it without chime or step light though by now that means nothing.

If anyone can help me find the history on mine too I'd really appreciate it.

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 04:23:06 PM »

Jack,
Are you suggesting that maybe a Trailways or other if not Greyhound?
Mine does not have a twist style but has the pull center lever type fuel cap, I also don't have stickers in the bays.

Not sure. I worked on a 102A3 with the lever type cap that was delivered new to Coach America and have talked to a few busnuts with older factory conversions that had the lever type caps. My comment was based on those experiences.  Jack

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 05:10:37 PM »

Jack,

My 5a has the lever-type fuel closure but did start out as a hound.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 05:27:23 PM »

In houndsight  Cheesy my question on Trailways was pretty broad based. I was saying Trailways I guess as a catchall for all others than Greyhound though after further thought this would be a huge market, larger maybe than the hounds of hell combinedl!!

...nevermind.....

8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 05:05:09 PM »

31871   S11718   North Star Lines (MI)        156   8/76

Now rest easy it was not a hound.
jlv
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 06:37:03 PM »

Could you please help me with mine? I have indications that it was sold to Voyageur Colonial Limited in Ottawa, On.

Serial:S11707
Unit: 31340

-Dave
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 06:56:16 PM by Paladin » Logged

8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 07:33:23 PM »

Now rest easy it was not a hound.

Dunno about the resting easy part. . . it is a Rust Belt coach!

Shocked

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »

what exactly makes an ex greyhound non desirable?
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »

I've sort of wondered the same but it occurs to me that while the hounds had a reputation of being rode hard and put up wet I also wonder about the quality or frequency of maintenance on a bus of a smaller fleet.

I suspect that just because a bus was in a smaller fleet or something was and is no guarantee that it was any safer or better maintained. Think rental cars, I know of a small company here that I'd never in a million years rent from.

8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 07:40:41 AM »

Roadrunnertex: Thank you

Looked at the MCI8 yesterday.  Loved the 8v92 motor someone repowered it with but , WOW ! ,all the stuff the current owner " forgot " to tell me about.  Luckly, I only drove 3 1/2 hrs one way to look check it out. 

Best part of the trip was looking at his 97 Prevost w/ Marathon conversion, what a beautiful bus!!

Bill in KS

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 09:00:59 AM »

Bill, some of us have drivin a lot longer than that to see less!
Shoot, I drove over 700 to see one that my wife swears is 'dead' and still bought it!

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: