Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 05:11:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question of conversion economics?  (Read 3285 times)
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 06:09:40 PM »

HECK

WE ain't experts we is just bus guys with attitudes and opinions.

AND happy to share them

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 06:47:17 PM »

HECK
AND happy to share them
Melbo

Melbo I agree 100%!

And too anyone I might have offended! I did not mean to imply ALL ENTERTAINER DRIVERS were on DOPE! But I know for a fact that quite a few are! In fact I personally know a couple of them that are, and while you won't see it on the job application form part of their job is to find a "connection" when in strange towns to supply the group they haul, and well since they gotta find and aquire it they have to be sure it is "good enough quality!" and be able to "ride all night to the next venue"!
I'm not saying all entertainers are on or use dope, and I'm not saying all their drivers are either! But I've been approched and asked more than once "hey man your local, ya know where I can get this or that for so an so?" I've also seen the way these "new midnight cowboys ride all night" I can't lie I drive fast, but these guys are just plain stupid driving 100 + with the group on board! I wouldn't drive a coach that fast empty! Too prove that one search the news archives about the 2 buses that were carrying the rapper "Emminem's group"(or what ever his name is) over near Kansas City, MO that crashed taking out 2 semis, a motor cycle(killed the rider) & several cars reports show they'd been running over 100 + all the way across MO and were passing a semi (one on each side of him while racing) when one of them clipped his trailer causing a chain reaction accident!  No not all of them drive this way, but too many of them do! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
mak

Southern California location

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 08:55:46 AM »

My experiance has been that it cost more to "undo" what someone else has done that to do it yourself from the start. No money saved redoing someone else's project, none. (my 2 cents worth)

On buying a bus, true the mechinanics are important, as inspections are, but also,  I've found that if the bus is well maintained on the inside with nice seats covers etc (yes, I know your taking the seats out) , and well cared for on the outside body with nice paint etc, (Yes, I know your going to repaint)  that normally the operator took care of the drivetrain and the rest of the bus you can't see. Not always... well, always. And on the other note, if the bus is beat up on the inside, beat and rusty body outside, well it may have a beat up drive train.
mak

I may have started it, but you'll have to finish it!
Located in So CA (Orange County)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 09:54:24 AM »

My experiance has been that it cost more to "undo" what someone else has done that to do it yourself from the start. No money saved redoing someone else's project, none. (my 2 cents worth)

On buying a bus, true the mechinanics are important, as inspections are, but also,  I've found that if the bus is well maintained on the inside with nice seats covers etc (yes, I know your taking the seats out) , and well cared for on the outside body with nice paint etc, (Yes, I know your going to repaint)  that normally the operator took care of the drivetrain and the rest of the bus you can't see. Not always... well, always. And on the other note, if the bus is beat up on the inside, beat and rusty body outside, well it may have a beat up drive train.           MAK

Very well put and in my opinion 100% correct Mike! BK  Grin

Folks take it from the man! MAK who makes his living doing this! His advice is worth much more than $![/b]

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 10:01:20 AM »

HECK
AND happy to share them
Melbo

Melbo I agree 100%!

And too anyone I might have offended! I did not mean to imply ALL ENTERTAINER DRIVERS were on DOPE! But I know for a fact that quite a few are! In fact I personally know a couple of them that are, and while you won't see it on the job application form part of their job is to find a "connection" when in strange towns to supply the group they haul, and well since they gotta find and aquire it they have to be sure it is "good enough quality!" and be able to "ride all night to the next venue"!
I'm not saying all entertainers are on or use dope, and I'm not saying all their drivers are either! But I've been approched and asked more than once "hey man your local, ya know where I can get this or that for so an so?" I've also seen the way these "new midnight cowboys ride all night" I can't lie I drive fast, but these guys are just plain stupid driving 100 + with the group on board! I wouldn't drive a coach that fast empty! Too prove that one search the news archives about the 2 buses that were carrying the rapper "Emminem's group"(or what ever his name is) over near Kansas City, MO that crashed taking out 2 semis, a motor cycle(killed the rider) & several cars reports show they'd been running over 100 + all the way across MO and were passing a semi (one on each side of him while racing) when one of them clipped his trailer causing a chain reaction accident!  No not all of them drive this way, but too many of them do! BK  Grin

I did run into a guy (can't remember his name) who was the owner - operator of a one bus company, and very selective about who he carried.  That was one Eagle I would buy in a minute.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Songman

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 08:24:23 PM »

As someone mentioned above, not very many MC9s are Entertainer coaches in the truest sense of the word. Most entertainers use Eagles or Prevosts. I was lucky to be with an act that has use MCIs exclusively since the late 60s. I've always loved MC9s for that reason. The 9s have now been replaced by a DL3 and a new J4500. The DL3 seems like a natural progression from the 9 but the 4500 seems to much like a Prevost to me.

My price range for my personal conversion was a lot less than either of the new models. Personally, I would love to find a an affordable 102C3, but in my opinion, a good ole seated MC9 (or 12) is the best conversion choice out there.

As for the opinions about the music business and it's drivers.. Yeah, it happens. But don't find yourself guilty of spreading the rumor that the bad apple spoils the whole barrel. I can tell you from personal experience that country music, at least, is a lot cleaner than it was 20-30 years ago. Now I'm only 41 myself but grew up on the road with a country legend. It was wild times back then for sure. Nowadays there are a lot of health nuts out there, eating right and living clean. There are exceptions of course. But that is not the rule. As for me.. I've never done any drug, including pot, and MIGHT have one glass of wine or margarita a month. Woo hoo! Party on! haha
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 08:40:37 PM »

Hi there songman,

Welcome to the group, and thanks for sharing your perspective. 

Do you have a bus, or are you looking? 

Do you play an instrument, or instruments?  We seem to have a lot of muscians, amateur and professional, on this board.

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
ceieio
MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740

1973 MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 09:32:38 PM »

Cash had a great looking 9.  The paint scheme was perfect for him!

Craig - MC7 Oregon

Craig MC7 - Oregon USA
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: