Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 09:10:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should RV's Require DOT Stuff  (Read 7214 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 01:00:32 PM »

Can non-commercial vehicles be flagged into roadside inspections, generally in the US?  Up here they can, and they can inspect for all sorts of things.  In the spring, they inspect RV's looking for people driving heavy without the right drivers license.  People don't realize that the weight of a towed vehicle can put them over the limit for a regular drivers license.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2010, 01:14:08 PM »

On BNO, Ian has several articles.  I thought I recalled a safety inspection article.  Didn't find what I thought I recalled, but did run across R.J. Long's excellent pre-trip inspection article:  http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/12262/16203.html?1167072614

I think that a very thorough daily inspection  a good front end component inspection and a through brake arm travel inspection would go a long way to having a safe bus.

I should point out that the July and August 2010 issues have good inspection related articles.  I don't agree with the author that automatic slack adjusters exempt you from checking brake adjustment, but most of the information is pretty good.

I have often given thoughts to writing an inspection article for BCM, but I am very concerned about the legal ramifications of that kind of article.  I am glad that someone else is taking the bull by the horns.

Brian, I just saw your post on roadside inspection.  It is my understanding the a non-commercial vehicle can be pulled over for inspection.  I THINK that the cop has to have a reason to pull you over.  Could be a law infraction, or something like a headlight out.  I don't think it happens very often. I keep wondering if that won't change a bit as government agencies looks for income in this troubling economy.

Jim
Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
blank

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »

Ive been driving since I was 15, almost 40 years now, and have driven all over most of the US. I have never been stopped to be inspected.  We dont stop people down here that arent doing anything wrong, down here we would call that harrassment.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 09:44:17 PM »

I think for the most part, we are preaching to the choir.  Most of the folks on this board are probably pretty good about making sure that their buses are safe.  My only hope is that this and the other threads will catch the newer folks and persuade them to do (or have done) a safety inspection.

I wish I could believe that Jim but I don't.  Many busnuts acquire their coaches as end of life commercial coaches that are sold precisely because they are not worth bringing back up to commercial standards.  I've been under some that would be dragged off the road immediately if they were ever subject to an inspection - and they should be.  When the choice is new balljoints or laminate flooring I'd like to believe that the balljoints always win out but I'm not sure they do.  In fact I think a lot of the time the balljoints/slack adjusters/brake cams/kingpins don't even make it onto the list until they exhibit complete or near complete failure.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2010, 05:28:50 AM »

Very well said Bob fwiw I had a bus stop by last week the guy used Ace Hardware all thread rod to make the U bolts for the front axle he told me MCI U bolts cost to much he did all 4 for less than 20 bucks and when I tried to explain the difference in the bolts he said it would be alright he doesn't drive the bus much and the guy was on a 6000 mile trip. When are you heading south

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2010, 05:46:20 AM »

WOW!

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2010, 05:55:42 AM »

Yea Bob the all thread is very popular with some bus owners I seen it used in the motor mounts and other place where a grade 8 bolt was required 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2010, 08:59:32 AM »

Ironically, here in California, they neither have yearly inspections, nor do they have any training requirements to drive a commercial bus as a motorhome.  With a Class C normal license, you're allowed to drive up to a 3 axle house car that is up to 40ft long AND tow a pull trailer up to 10,000lbs.  To me, that's down right scary. (just don't drive through New Mexico if your rig is over 26,000lbs) 
For instance, my truck is right at 40ft long, and with 34,000lb tandems and 12,000lb front, I can weigh 46,000lb.  Add 10,000lb for a trailer, and that is 56,000lbs that I could drive without special license (I have an active Class A commercial license).  I believe that anyone that is purchasing a motorhome or bus large enough to have air brakes should be required to go through a training course about the air system and the proper way to maintain and drive air brakes.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2010, 09:03:44 AM »

Tom, most states now allow 20,000 on the front IF the tires are rated that high.  And in FL a commercial truck on the interstate can get away with 20,000 on the steering and 44,000 on the drive axle!  (Tandem drive that is.)

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2010, 09:28:46 AM »

Yeah, there are always a few idiots out there using sub standard parts and equipment. But are you fellas as blind to the other side as your eyes are wide open to the private side?

They have the Metropolitan Transit Commision up in Minnesota in charge of all public transportation. They are DOT exempt because its state run. We dismantled over 100 busses they pulled out of service, and if any private company had been caught doing some of the things they got away with they would have locked somebody up. Among some of the things we found, were extremely worn and loose steering parts, rigged air lines, tires so bald cord was showing, gauges and warning lights inop, especially air gauges. But the very worst was finding many busses that had all the side windows welded shut from outside and the emergency roof hatches screwed down from outside, and no visable warning you were trapped. Coupled with shoddy electrical wiring repairs, those busses were death traps. And we saw quite a number that had burned, it wasnt pretty. They did NOT weld them shut because they were broken, they welded them shut to keep people from opening them.

Talking to people in the Bus industry we learned that its the same in every major city. Governments that oversee transportaation are always very zealous in going after the private citizens, but turn a blind eye toward themselves when they operate the same equipment. And when there is an accident, these are the same people who investigate the accident and bury the facts from the public. You really do have the Fox in charge of the Hen house.

While I admit I am ignorant to how Busses drive, run down the road, climb hills, or the efficiencies of some of the systems, its because I just havnt ridden in many, and Ive driven them even less. But I have looked at a great many busses over the years, Transits, intercity, as well as many conversions, and have dissasembled many busses for scrap. If you lined up all the busses ive stood inside, it would number to over 1000, and the worst by far were publicly owned transits, they do not maintain anything. Most private stuff, in contrast, was in very good condition. Generally they only come out of service because the Bus was dated and the competition had newer stuff. It has nothing to do with the cost of keeping an old Bus in service, in fact its much cheaper, certainly far cheaper than buying new ones. Im sure there are some conversion owners operating out there you would not like seeing what they do, but you really dont want to be anywhere near a public transit Bus.

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2010, 09:52:10 AM »

Clifford,

Your point about the all-thread is a head shaker, but I doubt an road inspection tests for the grade of bolt used anywhere.  There could be similar transgressions in inspected vehicles that no one would catch until it failed.  There will always be rogue repairs.  I hope the all-thread was not from China.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2010, 12:07:38 PM »

The thread rod story brought back memories.  When I built my truck conversion, I mounted the house part on the chassis with large thread rods on each side of the frame and big plates on the top and bottom. 

Later I had a friend who was a certified inspector do an unofficial DOT inspection on the truck.  The thread rods were quickly flagged by my friend.  I doubt that there was an issue (used 3/4 thread rod and several tie downs), but I quickly got proper U bolts made by company that specializes in that product.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2010, 12:23:09 PM »

I once needed some big U-bolts for a trailer I was working on, to mount the hitch hardware.  I called all over, and finally someone sent me to a truck spring shop.  I went there, and in about 5 minutes they bent up some u-bolts from ready made straight blanks to exactly the size I needed on a special machine.  I had no idea that was how they were made.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2010, 11:15:19 PM »

Ditto what Brian said.

Got a fresh set for the rear axle in the K1500 Suburban for something like $10 each.

Bent them right there for me.

Big truck spring shop is the place to go.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
it_mike

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2010, 02:17:02 AM »

Quote from: rv_safetyman
Self governing does not work.

Tell that to the diving industry. For over fifty years we've been self regulating, successfully keeping the government out of our pursuit of happiness! Cheesy

Unfortunately, the diving industry in other nations has been less fortuitous. Scuba police exist in the Med, Canada, and Australia.

Let's keep our country free.

1980 TMC Crusader II
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: