Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 08:38:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pex piping  (Read 4916 times)
cody

« on: September 05, 2010, 08:43:59 AM »

I've been looking into pex for piping not only as a better choice for the bus but also for the skanee house and I'm told pex is the wiser choice over cpvc and further information is that supposedly the best is actually pex-m piping, that regular pex can still freeze and break but pex-m piping has memory (this information came from a plumber that seemed eager for me to buy the pex-m from his inventory) and can, in theory, freeze and expand and then thaw out and return to it's original shape, thats the 'm' part of the designation, any thoughts or experience in this area?  The skanee house will most likely be closed up for winter while I lean up against a palm tree somewhere in the sunny south, (not this winter but next lol), I've always used an air compresser to blow out the water lines for closing up the house but it seems I never get it all and still have breaks from time to time.  Any thoughts on this are welcome.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 09:08:19 AM »

our friends Google and Wiki have never heard of Pex M piping, but they do say that regular Pex is considered freeze-break resistant, not freeze-break proof.  So Pex should reduce your incidence of damage as long as you continue to winterize the system appropriately.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
cody

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »

Thats why I'm asking, I can find fittings listed for pex-m but not the pipe itself, I saw the Pex-M on the side of the sticks he showed me, he has it in 20 ft sticks so I know it exists somewhere but can find very little information on it.  He has several kinds of pex, from Dura-Pex to Pex-al-pex, it all seems to have a specific application either for water piping, to natural gas hookups to underfloor radiant heating.  Pex seems to be the best thing since sliced bread if you read the claims, but I can find little to tell me the drawbacks other than cost of the fittings and tools.
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »

Lot of places will rent the tools, if you cannot borrow them. The brass fittings are a lot more freeze resistant than the plastic ones. I replumbed my whole bus this spring - no leaks at any of the fittings. Nice stuff. And you can color code it, with blue pex for cold and the reddish stuff for the hot water runs.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 10:09:39 AM »

The Pex i used came in rolls, not sticks.  Maybe it was a brand name?

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 10:09:59 AM »

Don't be buying it in 20' lengths...it's way cheaper by the 100' roll.  Fittings are about 2X copper pipe fittings but they instal 10X faster and as they still pivot after assembly they are so forgiving.  I just use the regular pex I can't be bothered with the special pex.  Buy the stuff at the HD it's true that the crimps (I use the crimped solid ring system) are a little pricey, but you can just sell them afterward. You won't believe how fast a rough in can be done using pex..  BTW I use the copper "L" pipes  for the end of the rough ins, allows for a nicer finish.

cody

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 10:45:36 AM »

The biggest problem in this area is the almost total lack of neighborhood outlets for the fittings that you forgot to buy even when you buy extra lol, when you have to drive 100 to 150 miles one way to get that fitting that you dropped into the bottomless pit or the one that you forgot about is frustrating, we have to depend on neighborhood stores that haven't even heard of pex or plumbing shops that think they are gold plated.  We do have a menards store 100 miles east of us that carries a generic brand of pex but none of the actual fittings will fit because of a slight size difference, so looks like it's sticks for me but thats ok, none of the runs are very long.
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 11:03:58 AM »

I used pex for the bus w/no regular pex fittings I used "sharkbites" or something like depending on what part of the country we are in....push click done... it's great
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 12:07:23 PM »

I used Sharkbites too, I like the little fish on the side of them, also they are brass.  I have no idea if brass is better in this application, I just liked the little fish... Wink

You use a whole lot less of them than you would think if you do "home run" layout.  But they are a little pricey.  My local store lets my buy as many as I want and return the ones I don't use for full credit, which is good.

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 12:20:16 PM »

when winterizing i would blow the pipes first then with a sump pump and a hose i would pump in a few gallons of pink RV type antifreeze with the faucets open until you get pink flow. i would drain the cold water heater after closing the supply valves .  also i have used sex all through my house and love it. i would find a home depot and just buy a bunch of fittings,any and all you may ever use and then return what you don't use on your next trip to the big city.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 12:33:23 PM »

when winterizing i would blow the pipes first then with a sump pump and a hose i would pump in a few gallons of pink RV type antifreeze with the faucets open until you get pink flow. i would drain the cold water heater after closing the supply valves .  also i have used sex all through my house and love it. i would find a home depot and just buy a bunch of fittings,any and all you may ever use and then return what you don't use on your next trip to the big city.

I love it too, but that is not appropriate talk for this board Roll Eyes

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 01:26:10 PM »

when winterizing i would blow the pipes first then with a sump pump and a hose i would pump in a few gallons of pink RV type antifreeze with the faucets open until you get pink flow. i would drain the cold water heater after closing the supply valves .  also i have used sex all through my house and love it. i would find a home depot and just buy a bunch of fittings,any and all you may ever use and then return what you don't use on your next trip to the big city.

Whoa Desi,

The spell check didn't catch that one did it? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  All through the house, right?? You naughty boy.

I'm still chuckling Grin

David
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 01:53:46 PM »

On my keyboard, the "P" is no where near the "S".  There had to be something besides plumbing going on id Desi's brain.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
twocnusa

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »

I also used pex, got it in 100 ft. rolls, both red and blue. than i used sharkbite fittings from home depot or lowes. great fittings, just slip pipe in and you are done.  ron
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 02:23:47 PM »

I used the pex Cody , Iam not finished yet but I sure like the shark bite fittings

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 02:24:48 PM »

On my keyboard, the "P" is no where near the "S".  There had to be something besides plumbing going on id Desi's brain.

Hey Len,
   On my computer, the d is not near n?    LOL  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 02:25:02 PM »

sorry the wife is ovulating and i had other things on my mind....... it was supposed to say pex....

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 02:25:12 PM »

I think if you are "doing it all over the house" maybe you should not use the sharkbite fittings.  I'm not sure which fittings you will need, some of them probably won't even be in the plumbing section, but sharkbite doesn't sound like a good idea. Wink

cody

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »

Grin Grin Grin
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »

I used Pex pipe for everything in the bus 2 sinks, toilet, water heater, etc...  I bought the crimping tool beacuse I have used pex for floor heat applications, wood boilers etc...  I agree with the "shark byte " fittings  they are the slickest thing especially in tight spots,  the crimping tool is cumbersome at best.

Pex will freeze and crack in extreme cold, but will be still solid and leak proof and usable when thawed when the copper bursts and be not useful at all. Good choice IMHO

" all over the house eh! Desi SmileySmiley 

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »

ALL OVER THE HOUSE

Ahhh the memories.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
cody

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 08:24:15 PM »

I forgot
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 05:30:47 AM »

I have had troubles installing PEX water lines....I have the crimp tool but still have leaks? what is the proper method of making joints??Maybe Shark bite is the answer? can you over crimp the fittings?  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 05:51:08 AM »

Bob, the crimping tool should have a gauge that comes with it to set the crimp depth,I have used the crimp style for years and never had one leak fwiw they make a tool to remove the crimps handy to to have when you do screw up,they also have a crimping tool for those tight places.
Shark fitting are OK but with the AZ heat sometimes they turn loose that has been my experience with the Shark fittings.
I use the Zurn copper fitting along with the Zurn crimping tool stay away from the Pex crimp style plastic fittings

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 05:56:52 AM »

I used the plastic fittings the HD guy recommended...will try other way.copper or brass..should have ask here first...Thank you..at the point of running lines in rebuild project...Bob

zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 05:58:36 AM »

Bob you may need to tune your crimping tool.  I have used pex a lot and never had a single leak.   I used to use the GO/NO GO gage, but don't bother any more.

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 07:57:16 AM »

When I first built my truck conversion many years ago, I used Qest connectors.  These are installed without tool and use a compression type clamping system.  Very easy to install and also easy to repair a line if needed since they did not require a tool.

It worked great, so I used them on the bus conversion.  Over all the years, I don't recall having a leak.

I did a search, and it looks like those fittings are now Zurn Qicktite.  Used to be able to get the Qest fittings at Home Depot, but I have not seen them recently. 

You can see what I am talking about at:  http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/80390/icn/20-362145/zurn/qbbfncr3n.htm

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
mc8 tin tent

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 07:21:18 PM »

Bob
  I have a pex crimp tool if you want to borrow it .call
  Dwayne
 I'm working on my splys. now!!!!! bout time yathink!!!!!!!!
  I have an extra tool
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 07:50:09 PM »

Dwayne will do...we survived Frogs!

DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 06:06:20 AM »

Pex/sex is great stuff. If you are using a proper ($50-80) tool when you reach the end of the squeeze its crimped. You do have to make sure there are no obstructions to the squeeze. Pex is not for everything. It is freeze resistant not proof. 100' rolls cost around 48. here and the fittings ae pricey and you always need more and have a pile of ones you dont need. One thing to be aware of is rodents, they will chew holes to get to the water especially if you put out rat poisen. Something to be aware of in summer homes.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
busdesigner

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 03:37:48 PM »

check this site out
http://www.iplumb.tv/

busdesigner
mlh1936

Graphics By Turbo Images

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 07:04:53 PM »

I used the manabloc and pex/brass pex fittings throughout my bus. I found it easy to work with and trouble free. I've only been using it 1 year though. I used  the long handle crimper and crimp rings. I used the crimper as it came from the factory and didn't use a go/no go gauge. I was lucky I guess. It took a little doing to straighten the tubing out after it was cut from the roll. If you're not careful about the orientation of the joint you can run into difficulty when crimping due to space restrictions.

1987 MCI 102A-3, 8V92, HT-740 conversion in progress.
mlh1936

Graphics By Turbo Images

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2010, 07:07:38 PM »

Sorry, the previous photo was a little small.

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2010, 07:09:06 PM »

Looks like the plumbing in a 737 mal--good job.  Bob

cody

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 07:19:44 PM »

I appreciate the information.
mlh1936

Graphics By Turbo Images

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2010, 07:56:45 PM »

Thanks Bob. By the way I painted the tow dolly and bought new straps and ratchets. Am ready to roll again.

Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 06:55:47 PM »

We've used pvc, cpvc, poly, copper, and pex in our work through the years, and I just don't think you can beat standard crimp pex.  It's easy to use, holds well, and I've yet to see a line freeze and burst. . . the fittings will crack, especially ball valves, but we haven't lost a line itself yet.  HOWEVER, be careful that you don't let non-uv resistant pex in the sunlight for a long time, as it will deterioate and weaken it. 

We use brass fittings with crimp rings, using the 100' rolls for long runs, but using the straight sticks for any short or visible runs or anything that needs to lay straight. . you just can't hardly get the curve out of the rolled stuff. Angry 

They do sell combo crimpers that do multiple sizes, but they are larger and more awkward. . . we use the one handed/tight spot crimpers, which, when in a girls hands, often become the "two handed and maybe even use the knee caps as a little help in squeezing it together" type.  I do pretty well with the 1/2" crimper, but man, that 3/4". .  if my carpal tunnel surgeon could see me using it, he'd be picking out his next new car in anticipation!!!!!  The one handers definitely have an adjustment screw on them and will gradually need to be tightened, so if you buy a used one especially, a no-go gauge is a must.  Nothing is better than going back over and recrimping every ring, ha ha.  Also, if you ever have to use large fittings, such as 1", you might do a double crimp ring, side by side, as a little insurance. Cheesy

The guys like the sharkbite fittings for tight spots in repairs, but in my opinion, they are awful pricey, and like John Guest and other slip on fittings, I would fear the constant jiggling down the road for the long term.   Huh 

When we were planning the conversion on the 9, I bought a manifold and the little stops, and it was a pretty nice setup that I think would have been ideal for the conversion. . .  sniff, sniff, Cry ahhh, well, coulda, woulda, shoulda Undecided.   who am I to talk. . . Wink Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 08:28:56 AM »

I used a Manabloc manifold after a bad experience building my own manifold. 

One of the benefits of PEX is the flexability of the tubing.  I see a lot of you guys putting in lots of elbows and such that may not be necessary.  Every fitting is a potential leak point and an extra cost.  I used Sharkbite fittings, but I didn't need that many by running the PEX in a straight shot.  I use PEX-A tubing which is more flexible.

Unless you're buying large packages of fittings you should be able to return any excess ones.  (I know a lot of us never get around to returning things, or we lose the receipts.)

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: